EMC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Practice Manager Interview

Senior Practice Manager
Sydney

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at EMC in February 2011.

Interview Details The interview process was torturous. As well as the immediate manager you have to meet with the business unit leadership PLUS any other business unit heads that you may have to connect with. For me this meant NINE meetings - which I have never experienced before even for more senior roles.

Interview Question – There weren't any. Most of the meetings were "box-ticking" exercises. One guy even did his email while we chatted (said he was taking notes).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were pretty good - they accept that they need to offer as much as they can when you join as they have no idea when you might get a substantial increase.

Associate Storage Operations Specialist Interview

Associate Storage Operations Specialist

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details Quick and straight forward, with a phone interview and a face to face interview. Interviewers are very well prepared, and direct with questions.

Interview Question – Very detailed questions of past experiences and difficulties   Answer Question

IIG Country Manager Interview

IIG Country Manager
Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in June 2012.

Interview Details Initial interview with hiring manager
Second interview with Country Manager
Follow up phone call with Country Manager to finalise questions
Third interview with HR
Fourth interview with business unit manager (would-be peer)
Fifth interview with existing acting IIG Country Manager
Final interview with VP of IIG
All interviewers were friendly, pleasant, open and welcoming

Interview Question – Have you done any professional personal development e.g. emotional intelligence?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

Senior Technical Consultant
Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in July 2010.

Interview Details Was referred by an existing employee I met at a conference.

Steps:

- Phone
- One-on-one with the hiring manager
- Technical/Strategy with the team-lead
- Personality with executive 1/2
- Personality with executive 2/2

Overall, of any interview I've ever been involved with, this the most in-depth from a background perspective.

My online activity for blogging, twitter and various commenting on sites was brought up. Something as recent as I posted on a site the night before, was a discussion point in the interview the following morning. I was extremely impressed with their HR.

Interview Question – What do you think of product X for market Y. Can it be improved? Would you scrap it? Would you merge it with another?, if so - which?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was very happy with the offer, negotiation wasn't necessary - as they simply doubled my previous salary.

GBS Global Business Services Graduate Program EMC Interview

GBS Global Business Services Graduate Program EMC
Cork (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at EMC in July 2014.

Interview Details I had to initally do 5 assessments online that consisted of deductive reasoning, verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, then I was asked to do a phone interview. the phone interview lasted around 40 minutes and I am waiting for a response. It was ok, they went through my cv and asked about my background, asked about what I knew about EMC and how give example of leadership

Interview Question – How would you get a company to invest in EMC technologies   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EMC in February 2012.

Interview Details 1 phone interview + 1 onsite interview, met with about 4 people.

Questions are very easy, about process management, write simple code, smart pointer, and how you debug a program.

Then waited over 1 month, the HR contacted you and gave you a number of compensation. You have two choices: accept or decline, no room for negotiation.

Interview Question – Write a smart pointer class.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. HR just gave you a number and you either accept it or decline it.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Hopkinton, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at EMC in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Received call from HR within a day. He yawned in my ear for the entire call and apparently thought that was okay. Was a bit rude as well. After a few standard questions, went straight to salary requirements. This Sr. position salary was $6K lower than my previous job which was not sr. level. He said he would check on bonus or any other way to match that and get back to me the next day. I never heard from him again. Sent a follow up email a week later but he didn't have the courtesy to answer it.

Very disappointing experience with this company that allegedly has such a great reputation. Imagine listening to someone yawning in your ear during an interview!

Interview Question – Out of the gate wanted to talk about salary and not much more.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer I Interview

Technical Support Engineer I
Draper, UT (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EMC in March 2012.

Interview Details EMC is more worried about soft skills in the interview rather than technical expertise. The better your expertise the better the salary and position. However, without the soft skills you will not work here. I was picked up by an internal EMC recruiter then contacted by her for a 1:1 interview. She met me and walked me in to a 2:1 session. Afterwards I was asked to come back in for a final interview. It was to be 2:1 again but the person opt'd to go 1:1.

Interview Question – Most positions require RAID, networking, enterprise storage knowledge. They will ask you how much you know about EMC. They like it if you know their history a little bit.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They sent an email (pdf) with the offer in which I had so long to reply.

Storage Engineer Interview

Storage Engineer

Interviewed at EMC

Interview Details one phone interview with an engineer

one phone interview with a manager

one onsite interview with a group of engineer and the manager

everyone is polite.

Not every technical.

5-10 technical questions.

1 programming question, very basic.

I was not an expert in storage technology and did not get an offer.

Interview Question – re-describe an engineering solution after heard it   Answer Question

Customer Engineer Interview

Customer Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at EMC in April 2010.

Interview Details Slow to interview..long process. Once I got interviewed it took way to long to get an interview and then to make a decision. The interview was about average, and felt that it was very fair. I like working with this company, but you work your butt off.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for EMC?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation...take it or leave it.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!