ESPN Interview Questions

Updated 29 Aug 2014
Updated 29 Aug 2014

Stats Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at ESPN.

Long interview process with multiple stages. Must be patient. Will need to pass a sports assessment to prove knowledge of "sports trivia"-type content before full interview process begins. Then interviews with several managers and directors of varying levels. Depending on openings, the length of time from application to offer can be many months.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer questions on how you handle adversity in different aspects of life.   Answer Question
    There is some, but very limited, room for salary negotiation.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burbank, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ESPN.

I applied online on TWDC website and got an email about 3 weeks later from HR in the Bristol office asking to set up 2 phone interviews. I would be speaking with 2 directors - 1 is in NY and the other 1 was in LA. HR was very accommodating to my schedule and the directors I spoke two were okay. I expected them to ask about my current job experience and skillset or even ask me sports trivia questions (as some people were asked that from seeing previous interviews on here).

But no. I was not. I was grilled some pretty tough questions about the cable industry and the Pay TV industry. I felt like I answered the first 2 really well, but the last question was a curveball that I couldn't answer adequately.

1) ESPN has had some challenges with declining Pay TV subscribers. What is the reason behind this and what would you suggest as a solution?

2) Would you recommend that ESPN maintain its current business model or should it shift toward an 'a la carte' model and offer a standalone service? What is the challenge behind the latter and what would you offer as a remedy?

Obviously the questions were relevant because the position I applied for pertained to Business Strategy in the cable landscape, but still, it was hard.

I only got as far as the phone interview. No in person interview and no offer. I got a rejection email about 2 weeks later. All in all, the entire process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • 3) The Dodgers and Time Warner have had some difficulties in the LA market. What is this problem and how does it affect the landscape of the Pay TV industry?   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ESPN.

Was asked to apply for the position then set up for 2 phone interviews. Moved on the next phase and went on 4 more phone interview with Directors and HR. Then asked to come in to interview with VP. I also had to present a 30 min mock presentation to about 6 employees. The process was well communicated each step of the way making it very smooth and all the employees made it such a great process.

Interview Questions
    • It was just a lot of different people to talk to. I felt as if I repeated myself a lot and got confused as to who I told what and what I had to bring up again.   Answer Question
    • Talk about any ESPN or Disney platforms/mediums that you are familiar with.   Answer Question
    Did not care to negotiate. They asked me early in the interview what I expected and this met my expectations

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ESPN.

Received an email saying I was a strong candidate. Set up a phone screening, Two weeks later scheduled an phone interview. Two weesk later received offer. Only had the interview over the phone, they asked which location do you prefer etc etc

Interview Questions
    • Standard Interview Questions, make sure you can elaborate on your resume   Answer Question

Graphics Systems Controller Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ESPN.

I had an initial phone interview, Skype interview with a manager from Bristol, CT, then an 2 person interview in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. The interview was conversation like.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation allowed.

Project - Development Engineer, Data and Platform Technology Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ESPN in March 2014.

I was initially contacted by the recruiter for this position, for I had initially applied to a different job. I had a pre-screening interview with the recruiter to gauge my skills, then was set up to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked me typical open ended questions in computer science. Then a few weeks later I was scheduled another phone interview the same hiring manager and two of his team members. They had sent me an algorithm to code and I would submit on GitHub for critique. A week later I made it to the final round interviewing and was flown out to Bristol, CT. There I had six hours straight interviewing with directors, managers and faculty in the department. Questions ranged from easy to difficult and sporadic throughout the day. It personally wasn't for me. Plan for a quick turn around and really know your stuff.

Interview Questions
    • From a male engineer to a female engineer, would you feel comfortable dealing with issues of superiority, because it has happened in the past, and I can't guarantee it won't happen again.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ESPN.

a recruiting team called me and set me up with the interview. i was there a week later for the interview process. overall it went a lot better than expected, they liked to talk sports but overall they go back and forth between friendly and down to business which i liked. you really need to know sports & grammar, i received a sports quiz and grammar test after my interview to complete

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

interviewed at ESPN in January 2014.

The interview process was pretty easy going. The initial communications was much to be expected of an interview which were what are you looking for in this job and basically what can I bring to the table. They asked me about my areas of expertise and questioned me about what I really knew.

Interview Questions
    • The most technical question was actually a little test they had prepared for me to fill out which was about various team sports ranging from hockey to soccer.   Answer Question

Media Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ESPN in December 2013.

Applied online, got a phone screening about a week later. The same night I got invited to fly up for an interview. Flying up was a breeze, they get everything ready for you. The interview itself took about 45 minutes, and was in front of 3 managers. Afterwards I toured around the facilities for about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • They asked basic questions. Be prepared to answer why you want to work for ESPN, and you can't say because you love sports. The question that stumped me the most was describe yourself using 5 words.   Answer Question

Informational Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ESPN in November 2013.

I was referred by a ESPN employee to HR. They contacted me right away to schedule an informational interview. It was a bad process. The recruiter had an intern contact me and he was incredibly difficult to understand on the phone. I felt it put me in a bad situation with how to handle the interview. I was really disappointed from what I thought would be a professional process.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you were put in a position where you had to think quick and make a decision quickly?   Answer Question

Worked for ESPN? Contribute to the Community!