Ellie Mae

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Pleasanton, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ellie Mae in December 2012.

Interview Details Online application

Interview Question – Basic backend questions   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ellie Mae.

Interview Details telephone, in person, interviewed by 10 people, QA, Developers, Upper management. Interview took 3 days with different people

Negotiation Details – not much

Release Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Ellie Mae in April 2013.

Interview Details I had a phone interview with the hiring manager followed by an in-person interview with several of the team members.

One of the in-person interviews was extremely odd -- a contributor (with whom this role would have worked closely with) spent the entire 45-minute interview talking at me rather than asking questions. This became extremely uncomfortable.

After the interview, I never heard from Ellie Mae again. At that point I didn't expect to be offered the job (nor would I have accepted), but having taken a day off to come in and interview I would have at least expected the courtesy of an email saying they'd decided to do in another direction.

Interview Question – No specific questions stand out -- the interviewer who didn't ask questions was by far the most difficult portion to handle.   Answer Question

Product Trainer Interview

Pleasanton, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ellie Mae in September 2012.

Interview Details Arduous and lengthy

Interview Question – Pretty typical questions, have to give a 15-20 min presentation on a topic of your choice.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Also typical, they offer, you counter 1-3% higher.

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ellie Mae in January 2013.

Interview Details After a pleasant, collegial interview with a very competent-seeming hiring manager, I was invited to a second interview with a larger team. I was given an exercise to prepare in advance (suggest revisions to a series of pages) and also show examples of projects where I had faced design challenges and how I addressed them. Both of these took some time to prepare.

Almost half the hour allotted went to set-up, unfortunately. The first projector we tried would not accept a signal; the second washed all color from the projected images. One participant was participating remotely, so time also went into getting hooked into their wireless and setting up GoToMeeting.

Meanwhile, it seems, senior managers invited were fuming. The mood was combative and critical from the start. One kept latching onto design details and expressing disdain for my explanations. It had been a while since I completed the complex projects shown, but I was expected to instantly remember the thinking that went into every detail. Criticism of design is of course an integral part of the process, but there are ways to go about design reviews that are constructive and not insulting, particularly when someone has been asked to prepare something on their own time. What they thought of my response to their design exercise (sent in advance) was never mentioned.

Soon after this grilling concluded, someone from HR showed up to say that the people I was supposed to talk to next had “been pulled into meetings” (this had been supposed to be a 3-hour process.)

The recruiters who got me into this, extremely solicitous beforehand, stopped communicating.

A thoroughly unpleasant waste of time.

Interview Question – "Why does the design not show how the company is protected from employees who misuse this application?"   Answer Question

Training Specialist Interview

Training Specialist
Pleasanton, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ellie Mae in October 2012.

Interview Details After submitting my cover letter and resume, I was contacted by the Talent Acquisition Manager at Ellie Mae for an initial interview. I passed the screening and then was passed on to the Training Manager for a phone interview. I was then forwarded on to the Vice President, Client Services manager for my third telephone interview. After that successful interview, I was asked to prepare a 15-10 minute training presentation on any topic so they could gage my competencies and training style(s). This was to happen in the next week or two. The following week I was asked to speak with yet another person for my fourth telephone interview. I spoke with the Vice President of Development for about 25 minutes. That following Friday I was asked to give my presentation via webinar and conference call. I delivered my presentation in the allotted time to four panelists who at the end of the presentation gave me glowing reviews.

I was then told that they would be making a decision and I would be contacted the early part of the following week. I never heard from them that week. So the Friday of that week, I left two voice mail messages with the manager and Vice President regarding following up with the interviews; I decided to make a call to Ellie Mae corporate (no live person ever answered the phone) instead I got a voice mail tree and found the Vice President's office number and called that, and she picked up the phone. I thanked her for giving me the time to interview and was doing my due diligence and following up, she preceded to thank me for following up, and assured me that they had not gotten their respective parties together to collaborate due to a conference that some of them were attending, and that as soon as they have come to a decision, they would contact me.

That following Monday evening around 9 P.M., I received an email thanking me for taking the time to interview with Ellie Mae for their Product Trainer position, and at this time, they have selected other candidates to move to the final selection process.

Since that interview, I have looked again on their website and they have updated the position as of (10/22/12) with the position still available.

Interview Question – I we hire you, will you be loyal to our company and not leave for another opportunity should it arrise?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Ellie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ellie Mae interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Ellie Mae employees and interview candidates.