Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Expedia in March 2014.

Contacted at University campus fair by recruiter. They were quick with the process and scheduled an on campus initial screen next day. Had a 1-1 to coding and behavioral interview with a employee. They were cheerful and wanted neat and clean solutions to the problems

Interview Questions
    • Asked about how technology will evolve in next decade and what do you see coming. Followed by a question on trees - how to find common ancestor of two nodes.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

There was a tech question at the career fair, and then an onsite interview which includes three rounds. The first round was a brain teaser interview. The second round was a recursive programming question. The third round was questions on objective programming.

Interview Questions
    • Please design a object class of anything in the real world.   Answer Question

Market Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Entire process took about a month (from submitting application until offer was accepted).
    I received a an initial email from a hiring recruiter out of their main office stating that he would like to schedule an initial phone interview/screening with me. I scheduled it for the following day which was on a Thursday. It lasted about half an hour and they simply wanted to get an idea about my hotel experience, nothing too technical or complicated. The phone screen went over very well and I was contacted within an hour of it being over to schedule my "technical interview" the following day via Skype. This, in my opinion was the most difficult interview as they ask you questions that require you to be creative with your answers. There was also some role-playing, which I could tell was used to see how I would react to certain situations on the spot and to see your personality. This one lasted about an hour. She said not to be surprised if I didn't hear back from Expedia for 1-2 weeks as the process does take a while. I was eventually interviewed by three more people at the main Dallas office, each higher up in the company. All interviews went over very well and I was called for a verbal offer only a few days after the in-person interviews. The company is full of very smart and creative people, and it is very obvious that they are looking for sharp, young innovative people with a great sense of determination. I was able to have a one-on-one chat with a person in the position in which I was applying for and asked him how he liked his job and he had nothing but great things to say about the company. It was very good to hear considering he had been with the company for almost two years and was in the process of moving for a promotion (another great sign since he said they promote from within). The Dallas office was beautiful and everyone was working hard, however they all were SMILING. This is always a great sign of a company since interviewing is a two way street! Be warned, you must do your homework if you want to interview with this company as it is not easy!

Interview Questions
    • If I told you there were 150 new hotels that weren't partnered with Expedia in the (insert city name here), how would you go about finding out each hotel, along withe detailed informations of each?   Answer Question
    I was extremely happy with the offer that I was given. The base salary was more than I expected, and I was offered a very nice signing bonus on top of that!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in September 2014.

I was invited to the drive. Had 1 round F2F.

Interview Process

Questions were :

1) Find if a string is rotation of another string ex. abcd , dabc is rotation of abcd
    2) Find min distance between two character in a string ex. a x c a e r r a d e min dis between a and e is 1

Interviewer was good . He asked me to describe first approach and then write neat code for both problems. He was not in hurry and gave me sufficient time to think the approach and write code.

Fraud Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

The hiring and interview process was unique. It was fast, respectful, and easy. I applied through and online advertisement, and withing a few days was contacted by a recruiter asking for a little more information. I submitted a day later, and was then contacted the next day to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I was told I would hear back regarding a possible online assessment within a week, but got it a few hours later. Filled it out, it was typical behavioral/personality questions followed by a short skills assessment in basic algebra and vocabulary. A few days later I was contacted again to schedule a day of interviews including two onsite and two conference calls. The recruiter was very helpful in making sure they could schedule a time that worked well for me. All the people I met and talked to were friendly, and we had some great Q&A going back and forth about the job. At the end of the last interview, they let me know it would be about a week to hear back. Two days later I received an offer.

The offer I received was very good, no negotiations necessary.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

contacted by a recruiter several days after apply online. set up a phone screen the next day and on-site two weeks later. Then the recruiter told me the feedback is good and want to setup another phone call with the hiring manager from the team I was assigned. And then I was told the manager doesn't think I am a good fit?!!!!! This is my whole interview process, it went well and I enjoyed it at the beginning, but then it just getting weird.

Interview Questions
    • None, all straight forward questions. Try to clear the ambiguous before starting tackling it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Expedia.

First round of interview was with HR. General questions about experience, soft skill questions (greatest strength, weakness etc). Next was a skype technical interview: A few technical questions to answer such as the difference between using a hashtable and a dictionary, composition, etc. After the verbal questions was a coding question about compressing a string. After this interview is onsite interview around 6 people a bunch of developers and managers ask questions ranging from technical, agile and soft skill questions. Not chance to breath or take a break, it was intense. Lasted about 5 hours and was quite tough. Not much on data structures and algorithm questions mostly have to have a very strong understanding of JAVA.

Interview Questions
    • What do you not like about scrum?
      List as many collection types in java?
      whats the difference between a linked list and an array list?
      compare soap vs rest.
      Write a factorial recursive function
      Remove all duplicates from an array?
      Access modifiers for classes and interfaces.
        Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Revenue Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Phone interview lasting 10 minutes maximum. General questions about why you are looking, how many companies are you interviewing with, etc. Did not really go into work history or experience which isnt really necessary as they have your resume, but expected them to get a bit more detailed.

Interview Questions
    • Not a very in depth conversation, more of a fishing expedition.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

I had an initial Skype interview of about half an hour with the team leader from the US team. It was simple, usual questions such as why I want to leave my job, why Expedia, etc. Plus two maths questions.
    I was then told I had passed this first interview and the next step was 7 interviews with different people in the company. I could do them over one or two days. I obviously chose one as I had to take time off work. The day was quite long, I spoke to people who had nothing to do with the actual job I had applied to, and half of them were really surprised and did not know what to ask me as I had such little work experience on my CV (I graduated about a year ago).
    In the end they did not offer me the position as they were looking for someone more qualified. It was extremely annoying to waste the whole day and go through all of this when my work experience was written black on white on my CV and they could have told me before that they wanted someone with more work experience!!

Interview Questions
    • Having no data regarding the number of passengers, how would you approach the problem: how many people travel from London to NY each year?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2013.

I approached through a recruiter for a contract position. The interview process started with a phone screen with the Dev Manager followed by 3 hour in person round.

Questions: Linked List, how to insert, delete etc.,

Interview Questions
    Since it is a contract position, all negotiation was with the recruiting agency.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!