Expedia

286 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Market Manager Interview

Market Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details The opening interview by the recruitement manager was really cold and without any relevance to the particular role. I felt uncomfortable. But the second interview with the hiring manager was great and very kind.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details I was contacted via an Expedia recruiter asking if I was open and looking for new opportunities. I said yes, and we got the ball rolling.

Phone Screen:
The first was a technical phone screen, nothing new here. I was asked about things on my resume for the first 30 minutes and then had a technical question for the last 30 minutes.

I got a callback the next morning asking for an on campus interview. The recruiter and I emailed back and forth and scheduled an interview for the next week. A recruiting coordinator emailed me to confirm and gave me a schedule of who I was interviewing with and the times.

On Campus Interview:
I was scheduled for 5 different interviews back to back. When I arrived and checked in, I was given a packet with my interview schedule and nice articles about what a great company Expedia is. I hadn't noticed until later that my list of interviewers had slightly changed (will be relevant later).

First and second interviewer were normal, asking me about my resume and then there were some technical questions.

My third interviewer was 30 minutes, (he wasn't on my original interviewer list so I assumed he got the notice last minute), but because of that it pushed my next interviews shorter and later as well. I believe since this interviewer wasn't prepared he gave me a technical problem that I thought was a little hard for a technical interview. (String permutation, I have made additional comments below about it).

The fourth and fifth interviews went as normal as they could after.

My fifth interviewer had told me I would receive a response within 3 days, unfortunately (as I expected), I had not heard anything in a week. It was only after I had emailed the recruiter again that she got back to me, saying that it was a no.

Interview Question – Find all the permutations of a string.   View Answer

Associate Software Development Engineer Interview

Associate Software Development Engineer
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details Firstly, there was an online test then there were 3 rounds of interview where problem solving coding, personality etc was checked. The first 2 rounds were technical and the last round was HR round taken by a group of interviewers. Also some technical questions too were asked in HR round.

Interview Question – All questions were average or mid level. Some HR round questions were difficult   Answer Question

GC3 T2 Systems Analyst Interview

GC3 T2 Systems Analyst
Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in July 2014.

Interview Details I had four interviews, each more messed up than the first. First off, the first interviewer was late, and spent more time apologizing than actually asking questions. We went over a bit, but then the next person was also late. Last minute change, but the last two interviews were to be handled by conference call, but the I.T. guy couldn't figure out to get the Avaya system to work, to which he then told me they may call me by phone. Good thing I was being considerate and just turned it completely off. Then the first phone interviewer kind of complained about having to call me three times. He was fine after I explained this was news to me, and that I turned it off so as not to distract me. Overall the third interview went ok, and onto the final interview, also over the phone, and she was very nice. But lo and behold, the HR person barges in while we were speaking, and she wants me to mention to the person I'm speaking with that she is in the room. At that point I figured she was more than just rude, but that they had already made their mind up. But trying to ask a couple of questions, the HR person would just interject "yeah, uh huh, yup". Pretty freaking rude, especially for an HR person.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical, scenario based stuff, what have I worked with, how would you deal with such and such.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details The HR called me and said my salary expectation is high. So, I said, "Ok, as long as the company provides growth opportunities within the company, I am interested in the position". She told me, "We are not interested in hiring someone that has an eye on the next level"!! This is the first time a HR personnel has told me that looking to grow within the company for the long term is not right!!

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Senior Account Manager Interview

Senior Account Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Expedia in November 2010.

Interview Details Quite a long process. I had 4 interviews in total, the last one was a panel interview. The people who interviewed me were friendly but at the same time they probed my CV and experiences in-depth. Overall it was a good interview experience.

Interview Question – In my panel interview I was asked questions about the business case I presented and questioned about my assumptions and numerical skills, despite the fact I was told in the brief that I did not have to worry about the accuracy of the numbers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotatiated the base salary. Never accept the first offer. When I got promoted I had to push for a salary increase as well. You need to know your value, as Expedia will try and pay as little as possible if they can.

Communications Manager Interview

Communications Manager
Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online - interviewed at Expedia in April 2014.

Interview Details I was initially contacted by HR for an interview over the phone (no previous contact to arrange a time and a date, but an out-of-the-blue phone call with generic questions about my previous position). Then I was invited for an in-person meeting at their office. When I got there I found out that the lady who was supposed to interview me was off sick, but nobody had informed me! My interview was then rescheduled with the above mentioned lady and two other people. One of them used the STAR technique. He was a bit irritating I have to say, not too sure what he was trying to achieve there. Never heard back from any of them again, got no feedback whatsoever. Politeness, communication, organization and kindness def not their best qualities!

Interview Question – it was a series of questions like "what would you do if your colleague didn't want to do his job/give you the info you need/support"   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. The questions were standard coding and database questions and hiring manager set me up for onsite interview. Had 5 1:1 interviews and it was of average difficulty with no breaks inbetween. Was asked to code on board even during lunch interview. Most of the interviewers started working on their laptop when I was writing code on board.

Interview Question – 1. Reverse a string.
2. Remove duplicates in a string.
3. Lots of queries involving JOINs.
4. Given 2 integer arrays, find common elements.
  Answer Question

Market Associate Interview

Market Associate

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in September 2011.

Interview Details 6 Face-to-face interview, 1 phone screen interview. Plan to spend an entire day doing interviews back-to-back. Some of them are definitely more challenging than others, but overall, fairly easy questions. There may be a component where someone asks you to demonstrate your Excel skills, so be prepared to discuss and possibly demonstrate.

Negotiation Details – Always attempt to negotiate, however, they are not likely to give you more than what is offered

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I
Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details The hiring process was very simple and straight forward. I had a phone screen interview and then called onsite for four one-one interview. The interviews was very simple. all related to Java and web concepts and few white board questions. I had interviewed with 4 different teams.
One of the interviewer was very friendly, he made sure that I was comfortable and if I had to take a break. On the other side.
one other interviewer was asking me strange questions, I am not sure if he was prepared with all the questions. While I was answering the questions,he was doing some work on his laptop(I am sure not related to the interview). His questions were unconventional and he was himself was not sure what he wants to ask.
The other two interviews were simple and nothing out of the box questions were asked.

Interview Question – There wasnt any difficult questions but there were some unexpected questions by one of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!