Expedia

283 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details The HR called me and said my salary expectation is high. So, I said, "Ok, as long as the company provides growth opportunities within the company, I am interested in the position". She told me, "We are not interested in hiring someone that has an eye on the next level"!! This is the first time a HR personnel has told me that looking to grow within the company for the long term is not right!!

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Senior Account Manager Interview

Senior Account Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Expedia in November 2010.

Interview Details Quite a long process. I had 4 interviews in total, the last one was a panel interview. The people who interviewed me were friendly but at the same time they probed my CV and experiences in-depth. Overall it was a good interview experience.

Interview Question – In my panel interview I was asked questions about the business case I presented and questioned about my assumptions and numerical skills, despite the fact I was told in the brief that I did not have to worry about the accuracy of the numbers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotatiated the base salary. Never accept the first offer. When I got promoted I had to push for a salary increase as well. You need to know your value, as Expedia will try and pay as little as possible if they can.

Communications Manager Interview

Communications Manager
Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online - interviewed at Expedia in April 2014.

Interview Details I was initially contacted by HR for an interview over the phone (no previous contact to arrange a time and a date, but an out-of-the-blue phone call with generic questions about my previous position). Then I was invited for an in-person meeting at their office. When I got there I found out that the lady who was supposed to interview me was off sick, but nobody had informed me! My interview was then rescheduled with the above mentioned lady and two other people. One of them used the STAR technique. He was a bit irritating I have to say, not too sure what he was trying to achieve there. Never heard back from any of them again, got no feedback whatsoever. Politeness, communication, organization and kindness def not their best qualities!

Interview Question – it was a series of questions like "what would you do if your colleague didn't want to do his job/give you the info you need/support"   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. The questions were standard coding and database questions and hiring manager set me up for onsite interview. Had 5 1:1 interviews and it was of average difficulty with no breaks inbetween. Was asked to code on board even during lunch interview. Most of the interviewers started working on their laptop when I was writing code on board.

Interview Question – 1. Reverse a string.
2. Remove duplicates in a string.
3. Lots of queries involving JOINs.
4. Given 2 integer arrays, find common elements.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I
Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details The hiring process was very simple and straight forward. I had a phone screen interview and then called onsite for four one-one interview. The interviews was very simple. all related to Java and web concepts and few white board questions. I had interviewed with 4 different teams.
One of the interviewer was very friendly, he made sure that I was comfortable and if I had to take a break. On the other side.
one other interviewer was asking me strange questions, I am not sure if he was prepared with all the questions. While I was answering the questions,he was doing some work on his laptop(I am sure not related to the interview). His questions were unconventional and he was himself was not sure what he wants to ask.
The other two interviews were simple and nothing out of the box questions were asked.

Interview Question – There wasnt any difficult questions but there were some unexpected questions by one of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Fraud Analyst Interview

Fraud Analyst

Interviewed at Expedia

Interview Details I applied for a Tax Analyst position to get my foot in the door, but a recruiter contacted me about a Fraud Analyst position several weeks later. I filled out a candidate information form that was forwarded to hiring manager. 1-2 weeks later, a hiring manager contacted me for a phone interview, which was very conversational, and she primarily explained the job. This is a screen to determine if they want to administer an online assessment, which I took the next day. This tests your behavior, math skills, and vocab skills. Then, I was called in for an interview, which consisted of 4 45-minute long interviews with various people within the fraud department.

The first was with a senior analyst, who wanted to determine how analytical I was. I was given a couple transaction examples and was asked what I thought about each. I just told him what I thought stood out about each and why.

The next 3 were with managers and supervisors within the department. They all asked similar questions (to which I gave the same answers 2-3 times) pertaining to behavior and experiences. Honesty is greatly appreciated as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Each interviewer was very friendly, and would help clarify questions that were unclear (I even had the opportunity to correct or alter some of my answers).

I was told I would be given my results in a week, but they contacted me the next day to offer the job. At this point, I am still considering the offer, so I have selected the option "Yes, but I declined" so that this post will go through, although I have not yet decided to accept or decline it.

Interview Questions

• If you could have any credit card data you wanted to conduct analyses on, what would you want and why?   Answer Question
  • What is the key to successful customer service, and why?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I have not yet made an official decision at this time.

Software Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Engineer In Test (SDET)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Expedia in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. After few days the recruiter informed me that I had been selected for onsite screening and we arranged the date of the interview. The onsite interview was 5 rounds and it's was of average difficulties

Interview Question – most of the problems are of average difficulty   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiated on the salary and sign on bonus

Properties Assistance Coordinator Interview

Properties Assistance Coordinator
Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details I received a call from a recruiter to settle a phone interview. A week later I got a phone interview with the person who was supposed to be my supervisor in case I will succeed te process. The person on the phone asked me for an overview of my CV from the beginning. After she explain me the position and started to ask me more concrete questions about my CS experience, like examples of difficult situations with customers and how I deal with them. My 3 strengths, my 3 weaknesses...Very hand book interview, but like I had experience in the field it was more extended to my personal experiences. Interview took one hour. The person on the phone told me I will be contacted within 10 days max. regarding my interview.

After this I NEVER GET A FEEDBACK. I contact the recruiter 2 times (by email) to ask him about my application, he never replied. I find this extremely UNPROFESSIONAL...

Interview Question – Do you always follow the instructions of your management: in my case I don´t, but I didn´t know which was the correct answer for them   Answer Question

Market Associate Interview

Market Associate

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in September 2011.

Interview Details 6 Face-to-face interview, 1 phone screen interview. Plan to spend an entire day doing interviews back-to-back. Some of them are definitely more challenging than others, but overall, fairly easy questions. There may be a component where someone asks you to demonstrate your Excel skills, so be prepared to discuss and possibly demonstrate.

Negotiation Details – Always attempt to negotiate, however, they are not likely to give you more than what is offered

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Associate Marketing Manager
Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online and interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details I will talk about the phone interview only here, not the physical one (which I did have).

Honestly, this was a joke. The HR Manager failed to call me back after I left one or two messages. When he eventually did, that part was fine. But then, several days later, he called again saying that the hiring manager had extra questions needed to be answered (guys, you could be a bit more organised than this... can't you list all of the questions once?). And he starts asking me the same questions than the first time! When I replied "I have answered these already" he mumbled "Oh I'm sorry but my computer crashed with all the information". Which meant to me: a/ their IT equipment suck, and it doesn't sound good; or b/ he's B.S-ing me. It was the 2nd option. I know it because I spoke about this interview to someone who had had a phone interview too with that same HR Manager, and exactly the same story happened to her. How can you trust a company when they behave like this? (Very) bad first impression... I don't even want to book any trip with them now. Remember, HR people: your first contact to a candidate is *also* the image you give to a potential customer, who will spend money on your products / services. Or not.

Interview Question – Unexpected questions were the ones he asked me for the 2nd time   View Answer

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!