Express Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2014
259 interviews

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Express in September 2013.

Applied on their website, and got a call within a few days. It was a group interview where the manager asked a question and we all just took turns answering. Nothing too out of the ordinary for a retail job.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Express.

Asked about my education and desire working for the company. Discussed future goals, eye for fashion, and trends. Discussed my availability and what kind of position I was seeking.

No negotiation, but possibly of promotion to Fashion Expert.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brownsville, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brownsville, TX (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

Got called a week after applied. Went to group interview in dress attire.Shirt, slacks, dress shoes. You need to take at least 3 references that you're gonna have to write down in your application they have, but instead what I did was printed out my references and made it look professional with a references template from MS Word. The manager interviewed us and asked us to introduce ourselves. I told her 'My name is __ but everyone calls me __. I'm 18, I recently graduated from __ and I decided to take a break from school because I want to get some real life experience." Sweet short and to the point. TIPS: 1. Try to talk as much as possible, not about whatever you wanna say but just be interactive and let the manager know you know how to communicate and not afraid to talk because they don't want shy people. (everyone says I'm shy, yet I was the one talking the most there) 2. Look at all the interview questions posted on this website for Express, memorize and answer to all of them. The manager is just going to get a list of questions and ask anyone at random so be prepared. 3.SMILE, when the manager says something to the group, say something back as quick as possible so he/she knows you're real interested. 4.Stand out by dressing the nicest, say good morning/afternoon, shake hands, thank yous. So they said they were gonna call back the next week (4-10 days after) but they never did.They called back the week after that week and said they were really busy. If you think you did good in the interview, be patient and wait for the call.Overall, good short interview (15 min. max).

Interview Questions
    No experience so I got min. wage.

Express Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

I went in personally to the stores asking if they were hiring and was referred to their website. The very first person I ended up talking to was the Hiring Manager, Dani, she is so extremely sweet and fun to talk to. I went and applied online that same day, Friday, I was called 2 days later to have a group interview on the coming Thursday. The interview process was very simple. Dani brought us to the back room of the store and we all sat around a table. She asked us for our names and why we believed we would make a good asset to the company and what our strengths were. We were also asked, How do you believe selling is different than customer service?; What past experiences have you had in selling?; What experiences have you had that you were in a stressful, multitasking, situation?; Who are you, and why do we want you as an employee?; Where do you see yourself in 10 years?. Thats all I can remember at the moment, but they were very general questions. They also allowed us to ask questions of them. Ask questions like: What do you expect from your employees?; Are there many opportunities to move up in the company? Those are the questions I asked and they were impressed, everyone else was asking questions like, "whats been your favorite part of working here; what have you learned most from this job?" At the end of the interview we were all told that we'll receive a callback within the next few days with our status. We shook hands, and left the interview. It went pretty well. I received a call on Saturday asking for one more reference, because my current references weren't answering their phones. So I got her one more reference, she called them, called me back, and offered me a job, which I happily accepted. I will be attending orientation this coming Thursday.

Interview Questions
    It's not the kind of job you can negotiate salary with. You should be going in before-hand knowing what you're applying for, and what your states current minimum wage is, and what to expect for your hourly wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

I applied online. Next week, got a call for a group interview with 4 other people. At the end of the interview, the co-manager said we needed a reference to call that week, so next wk we can find out whether or not we got the job.

The interview was pretty low-key. No clique questions asked. She actually thought some up on her own.
    (I haven't gotten a call. Just waiting for next wk)

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Modesto, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Express.

I applied online and received a call back after a few days for a group interview. The group interview went smoothly, was about 7-9 people and we took turns answering questions. Questions included:
    Why do you want to work here?
    How would you be described in a high school reunion in three words?
    What's the difference between selling a product and customer service?
    It took about 20 minutes total for the interview. I received a call asking for a reference, and a week later was offered the position.
    Overall was a friendly yet to the point interview :)
    Very excited to be working for Express!

Interview Questions
    • Is the customer always right?
      I liked this question because we got some varied answers in our group. I wouldn't consider it a difficult question, but just to provide something here.
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express.

I applied online and a week or two later they called me and asked for an interview. When you get there you realize that it's not a 1 on 1 interview, it's a group interview. There was a group of 4 of us. They asked questions related to customer service (what was the most difficult customer you had and how did you deal with them? what does customer service mean to you? etc.) They tell you they'll call within 3 days or so. I was called later the same day and was offered the job. They then set you up with a time to go to orientation and fill out your I-9 Form.

Interview Questions
    They didn't give you much room to negotiate. You enter your availability online and put you in the schedule the next full week.

Express Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express in May 2014.

Applied online and two weeks later received a phone call and was asked to come in for a group interview. When I got there four other girls were waiting. We were called to the back, asked to say a bit about ourselves. Most talked about their education, so I explained I took a break from school to get some real life experience which the manager seemed to like. She then asked each of us of our roles in past jobs and sometimes had follow up questions like why we wanted to work here and not return to a job in those fields. Finally she asked us to speak up if we ever had trouble in our previous jobs and how we dealt with it, and also how we liked to be treated as a shopper. She briefly mentioned loss prevention and asked what we can do to help stop it. (Customer service) She asked if we had questions (store hours, opportunities to move up, general duties) and after answering them she said she'd let us no in about three days. *Definitely dress up, either nice pants and top or a semi-casual dress. All the girls had heels or nice shoes on and looked like Express employees. It'll make you more confident and will them know you're fashion forward.

Minimum wage, none.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview process is pretty much a joke. If you can formulate a sentence and answer a phone, then the job is yours. Applied online, got a call, went in for a group interview, got a call 2 days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    Hell no I couldn't negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express in June 2014.

Really easy process. Applied online, called me back for an interview within a few days. Routine questions, how would you handle so and so situation, why do you want to work here, what can you offer, what are your weakness and strengths, then called back for orientation (hired) the next day.

Not really negotiable.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!