ExxonMobil Engineering Interview Questions

Updated 24 Sep 2014

2.9

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baton Rouge, LA (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Questions
  • During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question
As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Engineer Interview

Campus interview, phone-interview, and 1 day site interview with multiple current employees.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't overly difficult. It was more geared to ensuring the personality and interests matched the company.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

Set up through my campus. Met the recruiter at the career fair and info session that night. Whole process took about a week to set up the interview. It was 45 minutes long with mostly behavioral type questions. Fairly standard interview. I made the mistake of portraying myself as a team-player rather than leader. It was with one recruiter and there weren't any surprise questions.

It was a rather pleasant experience as far as interviews go.

Interview Questions
    • Is there any skill that you possess that we have not talked about yet?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Did not have hard interviews, until it was the last interview. Already had experience in the position they were looking for. They want leaders and people who will help the company grow in the direction of leadership (i.e. against all competitors).
    Had a friendly recruiter and they took us out to dinner before the main on-campus interview.
    No presentations either.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you did not get your way and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I got a first round interview for an entry level engineer position. It wasnt that bad except I was like asked 3 or 4 times in different ways questions about how I deal with change. I had an answer for maybe the first two but I couldnt use the same examples for the rest. Come in with multple examples.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

5 rounds of one-on-one interviews: 3 overviews of the company (1 general about the business line, 1 general about the group within the business line, 1 specific about position); 2 interviews (one based on candidate overall fit, one based on work ethic, flexibility, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • Discuss an experience you've had where you overcame an obstacle, how you did it and how that will help you contribute to ExxonMobil.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2012.

Applied through the career center at my school. Got an interview on campus the day before the career fair. They interviewed a TON of people it seemed and my interviewer was extremely laid back. He asked a few questions and the entire interview only took about 20 minutes. About two weeks later I received a call for a phone screening with no prior notification other than an email that I had been referred to hiring managers. The questions were mainly to make sure my interests lined up with the position they were trying to fill. I was told I would hear back from them within a week if they wanted to continue the process. I got a call the next day and scheduled a flight for early the next week. I was driven around and saw various areas of Houston and had dinner with newer employees the night before the interview. The day of the interview I had 4 interviews with people in my potential group and 1 cross-functional interview. I had a benefits presentation with HR then met with my manager and was given an offer on the spot. The interviews were laid back and not very many "STAR" questions but just trying to get to know me and make sure my interests lined up with the job.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Very strong starting salary and benefits.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2011.

One interview that lasted roughly 1 hour. The questions were very subjective which consisted primarily of behavioral and situational questions (i.e., describe a time when you had to deal with a stressful situation, ... a time when you didn't know the answer, ... deal with ambiguity).

Overall, it was an easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to design a system to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Went over resume briefly. Mostly talked about what I would do in group situations, when I've led or done group projects, or what I would do to solve a problem. Very qualitative and low-key. Interviewer was very nice and let me ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you were faced with a difficult problem and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2011.

The process started with an online application, psychometric tests and then 3 competency questions. After a week I was offered a phone interview (competency based) which was with an external company. The lady on the phone was really nice and put me at ease. After 3 days I received an invitation for a face-to-face interview with a member of HR which went well and was again competency based. I was invited to an assessment centre which consisted of group interviews and a technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were working on a project and it suddenly changed direction   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had a particularly difficult problme to solve. How did you go about it?   Answer Question

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!