ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 24 Nov 2014
Updated 24 Nov 2014

Chemical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Typical online application followed by individual interview, questions were all behavioual based and split into sections to test different competancies: problem solving, personality, back ground, beliefs and values. All were expected to be answered in STAR format - situation, task, action and result.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you ad to presuade someone and how you went about it?   Answer Question

IT Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Required cover letter, CV, academic transcript, and online application form. 2nd stage was a phone interview asking questions about you and your interests. 3rd stage was a face to face interview with a couple of GMs. The questions in the face to face interview included: Why did you apply for this job? How do you think your extracurricular activities could apply to companies like Exxon? What does a career in IT look like to you? How have you helped to implement IT solutions in the workplace? Would you be interested in a role in project management? What will drive/motivate you when you have mundane work? This interview also included a case study

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult and unexpected question was, what will motivate you when you have mundane work? The business case study was an inbox of emails which had to be prioritised and answered before leaving for holiday in 1 hour. It was based on a real life situation where there was a leaking oil pipe and requests to have it fixed from various stakeholders and a government department because of safety, financial, and environmental costs. Your outcome had to be presented to the GMs interviewing you.   View Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

First round interview with 2 ExxonMobil employees who had been with the company for 5 years. Asked for several examples for the one question

Interview Questions
    • give an example of conflict when you were a team leader?   Answer Question

Graduate- Engineering Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Face to face interview, assessment day, medical and referee checks, offer

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you were faced with a situation that you felt you didnt have the skills to solve/handle.   View Answer

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2012.

Apply online through the exxon mobil summer vacation work page. Had a phone interview which lasted quite long (almost 50 minutes). Didn't really prepare for it so the questions were sort of shocking - looking back they were quite generic (leadership skill, extra-curricula, problem-solving). Few days later got a call for a 2nd round interview in Melbourne. They arranged flights and accomodation. Interview was very short (30mins - repeated questions) and a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Describe exactly the type of project you want to be doing in your internship   Answer Question

Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2010.

Very rigid interview process. There was a list of "suggested" questions which we worked our way through. Two people interviewed in the first interview. Was very routine and not much chance to see the personalities of the interviewers and whether you would be able to work with them. When asked questions they tried to answer as best they could, but came across as quite vague. Job description was not the best. Felt like you were signing up for a brand. After 1st interview, then drug tests and medicals. Once the results came back, then 2nd interview. 2nd interview conducted by 2 people. More of a meet and greet, but also ran through the importance of procedures and controls (dont kid yourself - this is major!). Asked for any conflicts of interest.

Interview Questions
    Did not feel like there was any room to negotiate so did not try to do so.

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2009.

Interview at university, then a phone follow up, followed by another interview at the head office. Inital interviews were with a senior engineer and follow up interviews with no less than two people, Each candidate had a buddy who would look after us during the interview process. Very professional organisation and I would recommend to anyone.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us why you think you should get this role?   View Answer
    No negotiation, was standard graduate package.

Exploration Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2008.

2 rounds of panel interivews. 1st round, interviewed by HR and one of the Controller. Last for 30 minutes. Ask for your background, why exxonmobil, why this role, what is your strengh and weakness, sort of behaviour interview. 2nd round, interviewed by another controller and your future supervisor, get into details of your prev. job experience and receivved some challenging questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation when you have conflict with people in your work and how you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question
    My job agent negotiate for me, basically, not much space for negotiation as they considered their pay above average in the industry. You could negotiate your start day, that's it.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

The first part of the interview process was with the on campus recruiter. The questions were just standard behavioral questions and some time was spent on the recruiter talking about the different companies/departments that ExxonMobil had and then asked which one you would prefer.

The second part of the interview process came a few weeks later. This was with a hiring manager from a specific company/department looking to actually hire me (the intern). The questions made me go into great detail about my resume and had a lot of questions regarding personal career choices and goals.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was "What is your career goal and how would working at ExxonMobil help you achieve that goal?"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied online through website, passed the psychometric tests and then was emailed with notification of telephone interview, whole process took about 3 weeks or so. Results were also very quick, only about 2 days after.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me a time when you analysed numerical data to reach a conclusion.   Answer Question