ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 11 Dec 2014
Updated 11 Dec 2014

Chemical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Typical online application followed by individual interview, questions were all behavioual based and split into sections to test different competancies: problem solving, personality, back ground, beliefs and values. All were expected to be answered in STAR format - situation, task, action and result.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you ad to presuade someone and how you went about it?   Answer Question

IT Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Required cover letter, CV, academic transcript, and online application form. 2nd stage was a phone interview asking questions about you and your interests. 3rd stage was a face to face interview with a couple of GMs. The questions in the face to face interview included: Why did you apply for this job? How do you think your extracurricular activities could apply to companies like Exxon? What does a career in IT look like to you? How have you helped to implement IT solutions in the workplace? Would you be interested in a role in project management? What will drive/motivate you when you have mundane work? This interview also included a case study

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult and unexpected question was, what will motivate you when you have mundane work? The business case study was an inbox of emails which had to be prioritised and answered before leaving for holiday in 1 hour. It was based on a real life situation where there was a leaking oil pipe and requests to have it fixed from various stakeholders and a government department because of safety, financial, and environmental costs. Your outcome had to be presented to the GMs interviewing you.   View Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

First round interview with 2 ExxonMobil employees who had been with the company for 5 years. Asked for several examples for the one question

Interview Questions
    • give an example of conflict when you were a team leader?   Answer Question

Graduate- Engineering Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Face to face interview, assessment day, medical and referee checks, offer

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you were faced with a situation that you felt you didnt have the skills to solve/handle.   View Answer

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2012.

Apply online through the exxon mobil summer vacation work page. Had a phone interview which lasted quite long (almost 50 minutes). Didn't really prepare for it so the questions were sort of shocking - looking back they were quite generic (leadership skill, extra-curricula, problem-solving). Few days later got a call for a 2nd round interview in Melbourne. They arranged flights and accomodation. Interview was very short (30mins - repeated questions) and a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Describe exactly the type of project you want to be doing in your internship   Answer Question

Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2010.

Very rigid interview process. There was a list of "suggested" questions which we worked our way through. Two people interviewed in the first interview. Was very routine and not much chance to see the personalities of the interviewers and whether you would be able to work with them. When asked questions they tried to answer as best they could, but came across as quite vague. Job description was not the best. Felt like you were signing up for a brand. After 1st interview, then drug tests and medicals. Once the results came back, then 2nd interview. 2nd interview conducted by 2 people. More of a meet and greet, but also ran through the importance of procedures and controls (dont kid yourself - this is major!). Asked for any conflicts of interest.

Interview Questions
    Did not feel like there was any room to negotiate so did not try to do so.

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2009.

Interview at university, then a phone follow up, followed by another interview at the head office. Inital interviews were with a senior engineer and follow up interviews with no less than two people, Each candidate had a buddy who would look after us during the interview process. Very professional organisation and I would recommend to anyone.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us why you think you should get this role?   View Answer
    No negotiation, was standard graduate package.

Exploration Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2008.

2 rounds of panel interivews. 1st round, interviewed by HR and one of the Controller. Last for 30 minutes. Ask for your background, why exxonmobil, why this role, what is your strengh and weakness, sort of behaviour interview. 2nd round, interviewed by another controller and your future supervisor, get into details of your prev. job experience and receivved some challenging questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation when you have conflict with people in your work and how you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question
    My job agent negotiate for me, basically, not much space for negotiation as they considered their pay above average in the industry. You could negotiate your start day, that's it.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied on-line and within 2 days an on-line numerical test was sent to me. I completed the test and after 2 weeks I got an invitation for a telephone interview. I did the telephone interview but haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest decision you had to make?   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Very lengthy and extensive interview process. At my school, only a few students received an on-campus interview. This was a 1:1 behavioral interview. About 7 weeks later, I got a call to schedule a 2nd round phone interview. A week after the 2nd round, I was invited to the 3rd round on-site interview at the refinery. The company flew me out, and the first night was an informal dinner with exxonmobil engineers. This is a time for you to get to know the people you'll possibly be working with. And it's also a time to show them that you'd be a great person to be around. The next day was the real deal - I was onsite at the refinery for about 6 hours, where I went through 3 interviews, a refinery tour, and a lunch with a few other engineers. Of the 3 interviews, 1 was technical, 1 was on soft skills, and the last was behavioral. Although the on-site interview was lengthy, it's important to keep your interview hat on the entire time. A week after my onsite, I was offered a position.

Some tips for the application process, know EXACTLY whether you want to work downstream or upstream. And know EXACTLY whether you want to pursue the managerial or technical track. The Exxonmobil reps want to be sure you know exactly what you are interested in, and be sure to stick with it throughout the entire interview process. They don't want someone who's unsure of what they want to do.

Also, be personable. Everyone I met throughout my interviews was very smart but also personable. It helps to be very articulate as well, because they like good communicators.

And be sure to ask as many questions as you can because it'll show a genuine interest. Ask questions that are intelligent and job specific.

Interview Questions
    • An ethical situation that you faced? Managerial or technical? What class did you dislike the most?   Answer Question