ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.9

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Campus interview. Submitted a resume. Called for HR interview. Interview went off fine, and I was told I'd hear back if they have an opening for someone with my skill set.

Interview Questions
    • Standard HR questions - nothing that cannot be answered using a STAR approach. For example, did you work on this project alone or was this a team effort? What are the names of those who contributed to this project before you?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

For intern recruitment: there are 3 managers and 1 HR who interview me. The process is quite relaxing. At the begining, self-intro and resume-based questions are asked. After that, technical questions like: what is stress and strain curve for different materials are asked. Other than this, it's just like chatting.

Project Engineer/Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil in April 2014.

I had a screening interview at a prior military hiring conference. The interview lasted 45 minutes starting with me telling about myself. The interviewer did most of the talking and me asking most of the questions. One month later they contacted me for a follow up interview. Another month later the follow up interview process started. First, I had dinner with two Project Engineers the evening before the interviews. On the actual interview day, I had breakfast with Project Engineers as they were explained the benefits to me. The remainder of the day was back to back interviews with several people. Since I already have work experience, the interview questions were geared more towards my past work history and background. My final interview ended with the interviewer telling me that an offer will be sent. Two weeks later, I received the official offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current company to work for us?   View Answer
    • What salary are you looking for?   Answer Question
    They offered more than what I was asking for.

Intern Interview

I interviewed with Exxon on campus. The recruiters collected resumes at the career fair and then chose a number of candidates for a campus interview. The interview questions were mostly behavioral like tell me about a time when you took the initiative to solve a problem. Another question was tell us about a time that you had a problem with a group member and what did you do.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you run out of resources and what did you do.   Answer Question

Material Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

There is two rounds. First round is submit application and especially my school results. The second round went to Harborfront office and met with my future boss. She was nice and asked me many behavioral questions. Then I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you work with technicians to resolve a conflict, especially when they are older and more experienced than you?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate.

Research Engineer (PhD) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I got an invitation for an onsite visit. I arrived the night before the interview day and I was invited to an unofficial dinner (which I believe that it was an important part of the interview--even if they call it unofficial). The next day I gave a talk early in the morning and met with several team members and team leaders (You are expected to wake up early in the morning e.g. 7.30 am give a presentation at 9.00 am and get done with the interview at 5.00pm).

It was a very nice experience

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interviewed via a one on one college recruiting event. There was an information session the night before. I would recommend going to this if it is available. Overall, the interview was casual and consisted of mostly "name a time when" type questions. I did not receive an offer, as they were primarily looking at graduate students.

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Most hiring is done on campus. Few experienced hire positions offered. Typically a day of on site interviews with dinner with a host the night before. Behavioral questions and the star method are used to determine organizational fit, analytical capability, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioral questions are asked. Be sure to come prepared with examples and stories of your accomplishments.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baytown, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

The process is quite intense. You are sent a testing link prior to interviewing. If you do not pass the initial test, you do not go any further in the process. The first interview is with Human Resources and a representative with the department for which you applied. If granted a second interview you will interview with your potential direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was about accountability. If you make a mistake are you accountable enough to recognize the mistake and correct the mistake.   View Answer
    I was pleased with the initial offer. No negotiations needed.

Procurement Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Gave some preliminary tests and had a preliminary interview with recruiting agency.Actual interview with departament manager was long of almost 2 hrs, being asked from the typical questions to the more specific regarding certain situations trying to demonstrate skills and knowledge.Second interview with GM, was shorter and based on previous discussion.

Negotations of salary package was held afterwards based on my input on expected pay.