ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 22 Feb 2015
Updated 22 Feb 2015

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Online application and online test followed by phone interview (competency based). The interview was relaxing and I really enjoyed it. I passed my phone interview but did not get notification for face to face final stage interview due to the fully filled internship positions.

Controller Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

It was a very bureaucratic process. I first applied online at Exxon's career website, the other day I received an e-mail, asking me if I'm interested in another position, I said yes. Following to that I've received an online test, Can't say it was too easy, mostly time consuming questions. Later I've got another e-mail asking my availability for the language and accounting phone test. I took the test on the following week. The lady was very polite asking me some basic accounting questions, kinda what is balance sheet, some examples to assets or liabilities, where would I put a debtor (in A/L?) At the and of the conversation she asked my availability to the final HQ interview in case I'd be selected, the thing is I was based in another country and they don't do the final interview online. So I asked for 10 days notice before the interview. They got back to me after 6-7 weeks, maybe more, I almost forget about them. So they invited me to the HQ. I was expecting them to covering my travel/visa expenses, but no, I paid for everything, since I really wanted the job I didn't care. I flew to Budapest, the office environment was looking really professional and safe. At first I got two interviewers (managers or seniors), the interview was totally behavioral and last for 1 hour. They were really nice and made me feel comfortable. They were noting my answers but not the examples I told them, they were noting how I took an action on the case. So after one hour I went to the lobby and waited for my second interview, had like a 10 min break, and then two other interviewers came to take me to the interview room. They were really nice as well, mostly similar behavioral questions, at the end I've been asked some technical questions about accounting, mostly about financial statements in general and the changes on the financial statements when the company make sales. Wasn't too hard. And some logical questions which have no correct answers, just want to see how you think. (how many gas station there are in Budapest-you need to make assumptions based on demographics, using population, public transport usage, car usage etc). So after the interview I told them I'll be in Hungary for until the weekend. I was expecting to hear the result till that time, however I didn't. So once I came back to my country I received an offer, no negotiation on salary. I accepted, the following process was very complicated. As I wasn't based in Hungary, they were asking for documents I can't provide like address card, tax number etc, and I had to go to the HQ again for the drug&health test, and to provide some Hungarian documents like criminal certificate. Exxon also has partnership with company providing services to Expatriates like me. I should say, comparing to other expat companies it wasn't so professional and they've caused me a lot of troubles. Anyway after a long time I get together all my documents and applied for the residence permit at the Hungarian embassy in my home country. Had no problem with the documents.

Interview Questions
    • Accounting phone questions:
      -What is balance sheet, income statement related questions
      -Where would you put the debtors, assets or liabilities

HQ interview:
      1st round: behavioral questions, what did you take action in a event ... kinda questions.
      Where you didn't agree with a team member, where you flex the company rules to achieve a goal(and another way around)....

2nd round: behavioral questions similar to same round and some technical questions such as describe me the changes when exxon sells gas.

View Answer

Year Placement Interview

Online application requires only a CV upload followed by yes/no, or select from the available choices questions. (20 min process max). After follows an online numerical test (average difficulty). Completing successfully the test you will be offered a phone interview, followed by a personal interview/assessment center.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Very lengthy and extensive interview process. At my school, only a few students received an on-campus interview. This was a 1:1 behavioral interview. About 7 weeks later, I got a call to schedule a 2nd round phone interview. A week after the 2nd round, I was invited to the 3rd round on-site interview at the refinery. The company flew me out, and the first night was an informal dinner with exxonmobil engineers. This is a time for you to get to know the people you'll possibly be working with. And it's also a time to show them that you'd be a great person to be around. The next day was the real deal - I was onsite at the refinery for about 6 hours, where I went through 3 interviews, a refinery tour, and a lunch with a few other engineers. Of the 3 interviews, 1 was technical, 1 was on soft skills, and the last was behavioral. Although the on-site interview was lengthy, it's important to keep your interview hat on the entire time. A week after my onsite, I was offered a position.

Some tips for the application process, know EXACTLY whether you want to work downstream or upstream. And know EXACTLY whether you want to pursue the managerial or technical track. The Exxonmobil reps want to be sure you know exactly what you are interested in, and be sure to stick with it throughout the entire interview process. They don't want someone who's unsure of what they want to do.

Also, be personable. Everyone I met throughout my interviews was very smart but also personable. It helps to be very articulate as well, because they like good communicators.

And be sure to ask as many questions as you can because it'll show a genuine interest. Ask questions that are intelligent and job specific.

Interview Questions
    • An ethical situation that you faced? Managerial or technical? What class did you dislike the most?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied on-line and within 2 days an on-line numerical test was sent to me. I completed the test and after 2 weeks I got an invitation for a telephone interview. I did the telephone interview but haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest decision you had to make?   View Answer

Process Technician Interview

It appeared that they interviewed a few hundred people for the position. The interview was about 2 hours. A lot of the questions were similar and dealt with how would you deal with this.

Interview Questions
    • If you absolutely had to meet a deadline, but there was no way the job could be done safely in the amount of time allotted, how would you hand it?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I got the interview through my current spupervisor who refered me to the recruiter. Only faced the initial phone interview by the team leader. Phone interview lasted for about 45 mins

Tech Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

The interview took place in Beaumont @ 630am -750am. The interview panel consisted of two ExxonMobil Supervisors, each responsible for a section, past work experience and behavioral. Overall felt really good throughout the process, quick/direct/detailed responses, but you could say that if not prepared or if you have not practiced the questions could be difficult.

Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Applied online (UK summer internship in IT Technology), sent CV, work experience description, etc. After some online practice, passed online psychometric tests, got invited for the telephone interview. The interview was purely behavioral. At the end, there was a quick question about the role, something like 'why do you think you're suitable for this job?'.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about the time when you faced a obstacle while working on a project.

Talk about the time when you applied troubleshooting

View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

The first part of the interview process was with the on campus recruiter. The questions were just standard behavioral questions and some time was spent on the recruiter talking about the different companies/departments that ExxonMobil had and then asked which one you would prefer.

The second part of the interview process came a few weeks later. This was with a hiring manager from a specific company/department looking to actually hire me (the intern). The questions made me go into great detail about my resume and had a lot of questions regarding personal career choices and goals.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was "What is your career goal and how would working at ExxonMobil help you achieve that goal?"   Answer Question