ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 26 Oct 2014
Updated 26 Oct 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Applied online via my school's career center. The interviewer who was a mid-level engineer informed me at the beginning of the interview that all of the internship positions had already been filled and that my "internship" interview was really just a preface for full time next year. It would have been nice to have been told that beforehand. Exxon really just wants to hire average engineers who aren't too ambitious and are willing to stay with the company their whole life- the interviewer reiterated this point over and over.

Interview Questions
    • What's a good decision and a bad decision you made recently?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

The interview was purely behavorial. There were no technical questions. The interview surprising did not ask "Why Exxon Mobil?" or "Why would you be a good fit in the company?". The toughest question was "What other strengths have you not talked about?"

Instrumentation and Controls Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Applied through careers site for a new grad position. Interview took place on campus and involved two employees who would I would not be working with if I gained the position. This was only the first round of the interviewing process and I was told the second round would take place with someone I would work with and would have more technical information. Questions were all behavioral based.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you had to sacrifice quality to complete a task.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview set up through a campus recruiter.

It was about 1 hour long mostly behavioral questions. Mostly about team work and leadership. Interviewer was very nice. I was told I will be hearing a from them in one or two weeks, so I am waiting.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Spoke with a lady at the career fair who got me an interview that same week on campus. I was asked mostly behavioral questions. Was told the next step would be a phone interview. Never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you experienced a technical problem and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

ExxonMobil Engineer Interview

I applied online and received an email from the recruiting captain at my school. I also applied on my school's career website. I interviewed in a small cubicle with an engineer. The interviewer mainly looked at my resume, chose a piece of resume, then asked for an example of me doing something during that activity. They'll ask you why their company, and my suggestion is to copy down phrases from the website, from alumni you talk to, and from the company website to use later when asked about the company. I've found it more comfortable to include the things an alumni told me when I answer this.

Watch your body posture even when your mind is preoccupied with the question at hand. If you are moving too stiffly or abruptly you will come off as tense. If you rarely wear your dress clothes, wear them before the interview at least once for a few hours so you don't feel to stiff or confined in them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you motivated your team.

Tell me about how you problem solved in this experience on your resume.

Why ExxonMobil?

Why did you choose your major?
        View Answer

Geoscience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied for an interview through school website and scheduled the interview within the week. The structure of the interview was just like I had seen on other reviews: I was asked about basically everything on my resume, down to the finest details. I was then asked about my plans for the future including long-term career goals. The interviewer then moved on the run-of-the mill interview questions ("tell me about a time when...."). The interviewer seemed to be going off of a list of questions until their timer went off signaling the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or technical - just think about times when you had to work with a team, in a diverse environment, and had to come up with a novel idea.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied through campus recruiting. The online application was basically just uploading a resume and transcripts, and then filling in a few boxes with info from those documents. The interview was really laid back. The interviewer pretty much went through my resume and clarified a few things, and asked me some conversation-starter type questions. They did most of the talking.

Interview Questions
    • It looks from your resume as though you've set yourself up for a career in academia [as opposed to industry].   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online through school recruiting and then got the first round but never got heard back, It's the first interview I ever had but it's really good experience compared other companies later on.

Interview Questions
    • If you started doing a task but couldn't find more resources in the middle part, what would you do   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Initially applied through a recruiting agency. The woman at the agency did a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes. She was very friendly and helpful in advising what to expect at my interview. I was told to prepare for a 3 hour interview that would be in 2 weeks. When I arrived at the plant, they did not have my name on the list to enter, so I had to call and wait about 30 minutes for the interviewer to arrange for my entrance into the plant. Once I was in, the lady who was suppose to interview me handed me off to the head chemist and said he would interview me instead.

Once in his office, I had about a 30 minute interview, where the chemist told me he had never interviewed anyone before, and made up a bunch of questions to ask me. He did not write my answers down nor have any prepared questions. He then let me know that they were looking for someone with less experience out of fear that I would get bored and leave, and he told me all of the reasons I wouldn't want the job. As he led me out, he said I would not have to meet with anybody else and he would make a decision by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had a problem and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question