ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

Research Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Initially applied through a recruiting agency. The woman at the agency did a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes. She was very friendly and helpful in advising what to expect at my interview. I was told to prepare for a 3 hour interview that would be in 2 weeks. When I arrived at the plant, they did not have my name on the list to enter, so I had to call and wait about 30 minutes for the interviewer to arrange for my entrance into the plant. Once I was in, the lady who was suppose to interview me handed me off to the head chemist and said he would interview me instead.

Once in his office, I had about a 30 minute interview, where the chemist told me he had never interviewed anyone before, and made up a bunch of questions to ask me. He did not write my answers down nor have any prepared questions. He then let me know that they were looking for someone with less experience out of fear that I would get bored and leave, and he told me all of the reasons I wouldn't want the job. As he led me out, he said I would not have to meet with anybody else and he would make a decision by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had a problem and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

The application process is a 2 round process. In the first interview there are 2 people, one from HR and one technical engineer. During this first interview they ask some competency based questions and also some questions like why Exxon, what motivates you. Besides this i got also a technical question concerning the site. In the second interview, you'll meet your supervisor.

Refining, Chemicals and EMEEL Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

You complete an online application, then you get invited to do an online test. Not too difficult once you practice standard SHL tests. If your application is selected, you get invited for a telephone interview. My lasted about 40mins, total of 8 questions. I can only remember a few. What is your greatest achievement? What data and statistics did you consider before deciding what university to attend? Greatest change? Biggest success? And of course Why exxon and the scheme? Very friendly interview. On the 2nd day, I received an email asking for a face to face interview in 2 days. More competency and situational questions. Unfortunately cant remember them anymore.

Interview Questions
    • What data and statistics did you consider before deciding what university to attend and what course to study? Does not sound difficult, but it threw me off for a bit   Answer Question

After my assessment centre, I was given another role that required me going offshore for an extended period. My case was very peculiar lol. Was not ready for that step yet due to personal reasons.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I spoke with a recruiter on campus and submitted a resume during our campus' career fair. I was contacted a week or so later for an on-campus interview. The interview was entirely behavioral, "tell me about a time when you dealt with x, y, or z." The interview was pretty relaxed and the interviewer did a good job of making it seem rather informal. Be sure to prepare specific examples of projects or teams you have worked on.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked specifically whether I had experience in data analysis and making recommendations for process changes based on that analysis.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Career Development office asked for resumes from people interested in Exxon who had 3.5 or higher GPA, prior internship experience and leadership experience, and would be willing to relocate. Alumni who were exxon employees selected candidates to interview. Interview lasted about 45-60 minutes and included the typical behavioral questions and questions like "why Exxon?" From there they selected those to refer to any managers with positions to fill. About a week or so later I was contacted via email by my manager and set up a 20 minute phone interview the next day that ended in an offer.

No negotiation

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

The interviewing process was very enjoyable and beneficial. All students invited an info session the night before interviews began that was a mixer of sorts. We were first served dinner while we had a chance to talk to the recruiters, and then were presented with a power point on Exxon's background and the different divisions within the company. I ended up being interviewed by Jessica, who was one of the recruiters I had spoken to during the "mixer". It made me feel more comfortable because she was a familiar face. The interview itself was about an hour long, and all of the questions were behavioral based. Two and half weeks later I was contacted for a phone interview with one of the regional managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were forced to solve a problem under unfamiliar circumstances.   View Answer

Electrical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I went to see them at the career fair and the recruiters were friendly and easy to talk to. I got a call for an interview the next day and they even hosted a "how to interview" session for everyone who got an interview. The interview itself was easy. It was an hour long. However, a good chunk of it was the recruiter talking about Exxon. The questions they asked were pretty basic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • There' wasn't one. All pretty straightforward. The last question they asked me was, "Is there anything else you'd like to say that we don't know about that we should?"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I applied online before the recruiter came to my school. Late afternoon (dinner time) on the day before the interview, the recruiter gave us a presentation about the company as well as the recruiting process. My interview with ExxonMobil was on the day after the info session. The recruiter was pretty nice. We basically walked through my resume. She asked questions based on the resume or some clarifications of my resume. I felt relaxed during the whole interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Their was no difficult questions once you know your resume well (of course).   Answer Question

Internship Interview

It was a 30 minute, on campus interview which focused on my resume and interest in being a geologist. At the end I was asked to fill out an application online.

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

The interview was filled with behavioral questions, pretty easy nothing tricky. The best way to respond is to give personal examples; prepare stories beforehand. Do a lot of research so you can ask intelligent questions about specifics of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Not a very difficult question, just saying why would they should hire you.   Answer Question