ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus (Nepal)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus (Nepal)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I went to their information session and got a phone call about campus interview in one or two days. The interview process lasted about 50 mins. I'll waiting for their response.

Interview Questions
    • It is not very formal, and the questions include research as well as two behavioral questions. Nothing really difficult.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Very friendly interviewer. She told me a lot about what she does at Exxon, and even her involvement in the community. After introducing herself, she asked a variety of questions. Most seemed to be related to teamwork and conflicts. It seemed very easy to talk to her because it was very personal and relaxed.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I applied through my schools career website before the career fair. I was given the opportunity to sign up for an interview and did so. At the end of the interview, which was all standard behavioral, the interviewer said in 3 or 4 weeks I might hear from a Site Coordinator about a further phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you can do convince someone or a team to go with your idea.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I did not have any in-person contact with the interviews before the interview date. I was emailed about 10 days prior to the interview and told to pick a timeslot on my college career website. I just picked the time and it was approved. I showed up and participated in the 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why shouldn't you work for us? Why would you be bad for the company?   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I got an interview through career center on campus. I was invited to a one on one interview then I had a phone interview for specific sites. All of the interviews were not stressful events. They made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty straightforward. They wanted to see how you worked with others and experiences that you had.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

The interview was very short and took only 15 minutes. It was quite simple, and there were 2 interviewers. Interviewers would ask you to give specific examples in your answers at the beginning.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Met at a career fair and only talked briefly but handed the recruiter my resume. Was invited to an informal lunch interview where we were introduced to the company and were able to ask any questions we had. Students were given the chance to tell about our experience. Subsequently invited for a formal interview on campus. Interview consisted of fairly standard behavioral interview questions. "Tell me about a time when..." A week or so later I was informed that I had been recommended to move on and eventually got a call from a location in Houston where I had a final phone interview before receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    • In the phone interview I was asked what my technical strengths were.   Answer Question
    As it was an internship and the compensation was several times better than anywhere else I had heard of I did not attempt to negotiate.

Senior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2014.

Initial communication was through phone interview. Phone interview was quite technical and a team interview. Questions ranged from describing past and current work and examples of technical execution and team work.

I had my on-site visit within a month and was asked to give a 1 hour technical seminar. The hiring manager invited me for dinner the night before and described the company culture and what they were looking for. The technical seminar was followed by 8, 45 minute interviews. I had an opportunity to meet both early-career and experienced researchers and some managers. Everyone was technically sound and the facility had state-of-the-art lab/pilot equipment. Questions ranged from fundamentals discussion to program management, future technology growth areas and my career interests.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were straight forward. One unexpected question was why I didn't pursue a career in academia and why industrial research?   Answer Question
    Since I was applying for an experienced position, I did negotiate. The discussion with the manager was very straight-forward and I was kept at ease. The manager did check about my request but told that the salary was firm. ExxonMobil hires for life and there will be further growth opportunities once one joins.

I would suggest looking at the complete benefits package including base salary, health insurance, 401(K) company match, pension, bonus, stock options and other intangibles like growth opportunities and work environment. Do your research and understand and appreciate what you bring to the table. Have a minimum and maximum salary range in mind.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied for an on-campus interview through the campus career services site during the annual recruitment and interview period. Met recruiter in person during scheduled interview days in student union. Duration was about one half hour, fairly typical one on one interview setup except for the approach the recruiter took.

Interview Questions
    • The recruiter essentially just looked at my resume and picked things to ask me about; but focused on more minor extracurricular activities rather than on the relevant experience that I had. Differed from the typical behavioral interview in that I wasn't able to pick the best examples from all my experiences to answer questions, but was forced to discuss the topics that the recruiter chose.   Answer Question

Pricing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

the process is stringent and laborious. I don't think there have to be 4 separate interviews to identify if a candidate is worthy of a job offer. Clearly the need for minorities is represented in the hiring practices.