ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 27 Sep 2014
Updated 27 Sep 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Mostly behavior questions on campus, then technical questions on phone later.

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Job was listed on University's career website where I applied during my senior year.
    There was an on campus interview followed by a brief telephone informal interview. I was invited to worksite interview during the phone call.
    Onsite interview was done by 5 Engineers with different levels of experience.
    It took a whole day to get through all the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions related to how one fits in a team.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiations

Cataloging Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

There was no interview. Kelly Services found me on CareerBuilder and hired me.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. I got hired for a cheap $12 an hour... they worked me like crazy and eventually I moved up to $15.

Network Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

interviewed as contractor, so it might be different for full time employees, one round.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, if you know your stuff its a straight forward interview   Answer Question
    NA

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2014.

3 interviews, one on university campus, one phone interview and then one on-site interview at Houston. The entire process took 4 months from first round interview to the third round on-site interview. Received an offer 2 days after my final round interview.

Interview Questions
    • No question were particularly difficult, they were all behavior type questions. Most of which were geared towards how to work in a team environment.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate, didn't need to, offer and benefits were better than other companies.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

I was selected for a campus interview. I was asked to describe my research background, no behavior question.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

On campus interview. The interviewer was really nice and patient. We talked a lot about the coursework and the research experience I had within the past few years. I have really a lot of diverse and interesting research opportunities. After the interview, I haven't heard from them for the next round.

Interview Questions
    • I would say it is pretty technical. The interviewer knows a lot about what he is dealing with, and I tried to sell my research ideas as much as possible.   Answer Question

GREF Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

One Campus interview- about 30 minutes. Mostly all behavioral questions. I think my interview went ok but I was under the impression from the start that Exxon rarely hires for the GREF department but will still sometimes "check out" a candidate. I wasnt even interviewing for a specific position, just the GREF dept in general which is why you'll notice I listed a department for as the job title.

Engineer Interview

Campus interview, phone-interview, and 1 day site interview with multiple current employees.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't overly difficult. It was more geared to ensuring the personality and interests matched the company.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

First there was an online application with a couple of competency questions. Get through that there's a numerical reasoning online test which is by kinexa. No tricks here just need to practice with more than just SHL. It's more difficult than that.
    Next stage is the competency based 1:1 interview at their head quarters in Fawley.
    I made it to the final stage months after my application so i assume I wasn't one of the first batch of interview offers.

Interview could've been better but I had exams so didn't give 100%. Not a fan of the Fawley base either.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions. They were all competency
      The toughest one was about giving an example of a time when you failed at something. It's tough to pick something that still makes you look good
        Answer Question