F5 Networks Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2014
104 interviews

3.2

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in July 2014.

Applied online. Got call from recruiter. Set up phone interview with hiring manager in few days. Manager was very friendly. Explained about company. Asked my experience related to requirements of the position and interest in position and about the company. Asked some problem solving (DS/algorithm related) questions. They see how you approach it. Not the exact answer. Next round would have been coding related interview with team members onsite. But couldn't clear the initial screen.

Interview Questions
    • Problem solving questions - can't reveal due to policy.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in July 2010.

5 Interview process - Interviewed with the Hiring Manager, VP of Sales, Systems Engineering Manager, and I had two interviews with other current Account Managers on the team. One of the "Peer Interviews" was on the phone and the other was in person. I interviewed with both the hiring Manger and the Vice President while they were in town together at a QBR.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. I knew the offer and I accepted it as it was presented

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Northeast, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in April 2014.

Referred by a current employee. The process was smooth, four interviews via phone and one in person. Interviewers calling were on time and clear compared to some phone interviews I had where people had bad connections or tons of background noise.

Interview Questions
    • How do you influence stakeholders you have limited contact with and little to no leverage for their cooperation?   Answer Question
    Negotiable, comp and benefits are good.

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in February 2014.

Interview process is longer than most other tech companies.
    Had 1 phone screen with the hiring manager about my current work and 1 algorithmic question.
    Had 8 onsite 1:1 interviews with a paper-based coding test. The paper-based coding test is what you would give to a college student.
    All interviewers were nice and friendly. All asked me 1 coding problem and 1 general question about either networking, OO programming or security. Not all interviewers asked me about my current work.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were easy, nothing difficult. The interview process was too long.   Answer Question
    Negotiation experience was bad. Its difficult to get them to quote higher salaries because they have hard set ranges for different level. This is a problem when you are coming from a big or high-paying tech firm. You would most certainly have to go for a lower pay.

Software Engineer Interview

I handed over my resume to them at a career fair which was held at school. After about a month, they e-mailed me to confirm my phone number. I scheduled an interview with them via phone call, and the interview was on campus. After that, all contacts were by e-mails.

Product Release Manager, Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2014.

Pretty straight forward. I had a phone interview with the recruiter first and then later that week she scheduled an in person interview at the office. I interviewed with the recruiter again, then two team members, the manager, and the director (all 30min meetings back to back). I prepared well in advance of the interview so I was ready for 95% of the questions before they were asked.

Interview Questions
    • None really, but be prepared to answer the following:

1. Why do you want to work for F5? This question WILL be asked
      2. What are your strengths/weaknesses?
      3. Give me an overview of your last job.
      4. Answer questions specific to your resume
      5. Scale of 1-10, how familiar are you with system tools - Microsoft office, Agile or SQL?
      6. Why did you leave the last company?
      7. Explain any time gaps in resume
      8. What are some of your leadership experiences?
      9. Describe an accomplishment you are most proud of.
      10. Do you have any questions - AND OF COURSE YOU DO. ;)
        View Answer
    They offered me an increased salary, bonus's, stock, full benefits, 401K match. The offer was very generous and I did not feel the need to negotiate and respond with a counter offer.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Very thorough process that involved a phone screen, followed by an on-site interview with ~6 others. The on-site interview started with a small/simple paper exercise on basic programming questions. This appeared to be used to seed one of the interviews. The individual one-on-one sessions were done with talented folks from those fairly new to long term veterans of F5. Each interview was unique, but each seemed more of a collaborative investigation more than simple questions and answers. White board work and general talk through things was encouraged. Overall felt like a solid interview such that when I received the offer, I was sure that I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't limited to my area of experience and some were more of a collaborative investigation with a subject matter expert. Working through questions about allocating tight structures and then manipulating them were challenging for on-the-spot work, but were actually fun in the end.   Answer Question
    The whole process of moving to the offer was slowish and methodical as F5 takes hiring seriously in terms of budgeting and job fit. Negotiation was limited to relocation funds.

Software Engineer II Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

I was cold called off my LinkedIn profile then went through a phone screen. It was 2 algorithm questions followed up by general person questions and information about the job.

I was then flown out for an in person interview. They put me up in a pretty nice hotel within walking distance of the HQ where my interview was taking place. It started off with a written test covering java fundamentals as well as a short coding problem. I then had 7 back to back interviews that lasted the rest of the day. (Lunch was purchased for me by the boss of the team I was interviewing for and over lunch it was a very informal interview, mostly me asking questions about the job and the team and getting answers)

The interviews covered asking me to design a program on a whiteboard, code on a whiteboard covering data structures and algorithms, multi-threading, concurrency as well as being asked about SQL backend and databases. They hit as many bases as possible They interviewers were good with coaching and hints. They don't expect you to be perfect which is really nice. Overall I'd say I did really well on 2 of the interviews, good on 3 of the interviews, just ok on 1 and really bombed the last one at the end of the day but still got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design an backend SQL database system for very large loads? (I have no database experience and my resume reflected this so this question really caught me off guard)   Answer Question
    A little back and forth with HR. I was able to negotiate a higher salary. They also seemed to be interviewing for multiple levels of Software Engineer and allowed me to pick to be hired as a I or a II. I was able to get a verbal agreement on an offer about a week after the interview but it took them another few weeks to get that in writing. They had some issues with getting a relocation package ready they said. This put me off some but wasn't a big deal at the end of the day.

Product Development Response Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in April 2014.

HR called me, organised a quick telephonic conversation to brief the expectation of the role, followed by Hiring manager round of interview. Later I was called onsite for 7 round of interview with 2 development manager, 1 incident manager, 1 product manager, 1 program manager, 1 test manager and lastly hiring manager. I was offered a job where HR called to discuss the offer verbally followed by negotiations and the final offer was sent to me by email. F5 was quite open in date of joining based on my availability and moved fast in bringing me onboard. HR coordinator worked with me for joining formalities and great set of documents on F5 Reference guide, Background check and benefits packet was shared to make my onboarding smooth. On joining my office was setup with laptop, backpack and many goodies

Interview Questions
    • Your customer is too angry because previous solutions given, caused multiple other failures. How would you deal with this customer?   Answer Question
    Offer was quite competitive as compared to other offers I had in my hand from top companies in networking world

Principal Solution Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at F5 Networks in May 2010.

Better know F5 products well or show acumen to pick it up fast as it is complicated kit. Knowledge of enterprise SW, HW and data center workings key. This job is technical and the more your are the better you will succeed.

Not much to aim for here. It is ranged on experience. ask for preplanned vacation, signing bonus if you are leaving or their range does not fit you.

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!