FAA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Air Traffic Control Specialist Interview

Air Traffic Control Specialist
Tamiami, FL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at FAA.

Interview Details College in an approved aviation program. Interview, security and medical clearance. Training and simulation at FAA Academy in Oklahoma City, OK. OJT at assigned facility.

Interview Question – You have to be able to watch a horrific crash and then continue working, because if you work in a tower long enough you will experience this. No one can take your place when this happens. If you can't do this you should consider another career.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

Interviewed at FAA

Interview Details What is your Strength

Interview Question – What is your weakness   View Answer

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at FAA in January 2013.

Interview Details Panel style interview. Different department managers. Approx 10 questions. Are you a team player? Why do you want to work for the FAA? etc

Interview Question – What did you not like about your previous job?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had a better opportunity in another sunny state on the west coast

Anonymous Interview

Renton, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at FAA.

Interview Details I was a contractor at the FAA. Lockheed Martin was my employer. It took 4 months from the time I was contacted to my start date. I was told my job would travel a lot, but was also told that it would be scheduled well in advance. This turned out not to be the case. I was constantly switched on trips at the last minute.

Interview Question – What is your weakness?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The salary was the lowest contract I have made in many years. I figured out later that the full time people were making 30% more, had benefits and the contractors were low paid because the FAA wanted to slash the expenses. They pay air traffic controllers into the $200K, and they couldn't afford to pay a tech writer a decent wage, especially for all of the grief I had to put up with. I only took the job because they were hard to find at the time. Big mistake.

Contracts Attorney Interview

Contracts Attorney

The process took 8 months - interviewed at FAA.

Interview Details The hiring process took about eight months rom application submission to first day on the job.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. Most just had to do with getting to know me and why my background and education was applicable. The managers did ask whether I intended to always practice in government contracts law.   Answer Question

Air Traffic Controller Interview

Air Traffic Controller

Interviewed at FAA

Interview Details Multi-step process consisted of psychological testing, in-person interview at nearest facility, followed by medical testing.

Interview Question – Questions were all generic, read off a paper.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. Just lots of waiting.

Management Interview

Management
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FAA in March 2009.

Interview Details Hiring process was very fair and considered all of the previous work experience along with education.

Interview Question – Situation based questions--Problem, Action Taken, Result   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Open for negotiation

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Renton, WA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FAA.

Interview Details Initially, lengthy online application process. Once done though, easy to edit and apply for future jobs. Interview time frame and hiring process is dependent on urgency to fill the position and of course, funding.

Interview Question – Being asked to expand on the definition of being "a team player". I've found the hiring person is looking for specific characteristics and not the canned response of "being able to work well with others, being flexible and adaptable". Person is looking for specific examples describing a situation, what you did in response, and what the outcome of the situation was.   Answer Question

Computer Specialist Interview

Computer Specialist
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at FAA in June 2010.

Interview Details Very slow process - 2-3 months. Process is similar throughout the FAA. There are variants when it comes to interviews. At the interview ask or listen to the rules and understand them before proceeding. When completing the application, detail and verbosity are key. There are key works used in the advertisement and, if not found in the resume, eliminate the applicant.

Interview Question – None - questions were typical.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotion. Salaries are generally schedule values and not negotiable.

Regional Operations Center Interview

Regional Operations Center
Renton, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FAA in August 2012.

Interview Details I was engaged two weeks prior to the interview with notification that I had been selected as a finalist. I was given the option for what interview period I would like [a one hour block with three interviewers as a preliminary followed by a 30 minute block with the hiring manager], then sent directions to the interview site in Renton. A background check was included in the process.

Interview Question – All questions followed a basic Performance Based interview process (find out about Performance Based Interviewing on VA website) - all the answers were there as well as Answers.com.
Typical questions included:
II Customer Service In your current job, who are your internal and external customers? Specifically, how do you get satisfaction feedback from your internal customers? Specifically, how do you get satisfaction feedback from your external customers? Give specific examples of how you have used both negative and positive feedback.
II Interpersonal Effectiveness A part of this job is documenting your work. On a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being excellent writing skills, how would you rate your writing ability? Give specific example of the types of documents you write routinely. What feedback do you get from your supervisor on your writing skills?
II Personal Mastery Developing and using a detailed procedure is often very important in a job. Tell about a time when you needed to develop and use a detailed procedure to successfully complete a project.
II Systems Thinking In your current job, what organizational change have you made or contributed to that you are proud of? How did you go about making the change? What has been the impact of the change?
II Technical Skills Give me an example of a time when you used good judgment and decision-making in solving a problem.
  View Answer