FTI Consulting

FTI Consulting Interview Questions

Updated 20 Nov 2014
Updated 20 Nov 2014

Intern Interview

I applied through campus recruiting and received an email letting me know I had an interview on campus in the coming week. The first round interview was held at the campus career center. I met with one of the managing directors and had a 30 minute interview that was pretty informal. The questions were mostly behavior, but there were one or two analytical ones.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in September 2014.

Applied and had the first interview on campus. All behavioral questions, very relaxed and stress-free. Was selected to the final round at the office. Three back-to back interviews with professionals at different levels. Again, mostly fit-type conversations. Had a chance to interact with young consultants who just started there - everybody was nice and open; overall, felt like a very comfortable environment to work in.

Consultant (VFAS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Applied on Linkedin. Initial phone screening with HR (nothing technical). All the members in hiring committee were traveling so it took 2-3 weeks to schedule an in-house interview. Met up with 1 SMD, 1MD, and one Director. Each took 30 min or so.

Interview Questions
    • Write an e-mail to a PE client about the process of the engagement. (After I gave the answer) Do you think I would like that answer? It was not about the question itself but his attitude all along the interview that made the conversation very difficult.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at FTI Consulting in August 2014.

Three stages. First screening by recruiter then interviewed by project manager then have to go to their office for in person registration (criminal background check and work history basically). No discussion of specifics during screening (rate of pay, hours, if there is OT); project managers provide details. This company previously used staffing agencies and is now doing the hiring directly so they have recruiters out in CA doing the screening for the project managers.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions for this type of work; but did ask about "how" skills were acquired.   View Answer

Accepted another offer before FTI made me an offer.

E-Discovery Team Lead Interview

I received a response from the Recruiting team about 15 minutes after I applied for the position. I had a telephone interview that same day. She seemed helpful and honest and truly enjoyed speaking with her. Then a week later, I had a phone interview with a Director- who was also very honest and straightforward. Unfortunately, I wasn't a right fit for the position and she let me know.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Saw an online ad, sent in my resume and had an initial phone interview with HR that lasted about 15 minutes. Was scheduled to have another phone interview with the principals but that was changed to an in person interview with both the managing director and the senior managing director. The discussion with the managing director was straight forward, no real challenging/difficult questions. I had to wait about 45 minutes for the discussion with the senior managing director, even though I was told it would be only 5-10 minutes. No real challenging questions during this discussion either.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Asked about experience related to crisis communications, communications plan, coalition work and experience working with clients.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

I initially met with consultants and senior consultants, then with directors and MDs, and finally with the SMDs of the groups I'd potentially be joining. Then more SMDs wanted to meet with me. Lots of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a lot about projects I'd worked on at previous jobs, even though the projects were several years back and I had been very junior level and only peripherally involved, and for a very short time.   Answer Question
    They were absolute snakes - they told me I'd be brought in as an experienced hire, but bumped me to 1st year consultant. They axed first year consultant bonuses and the employee stock purchase plan after I began, even though the company was having a record year. Greedy, old-school accountants who think it's okay to treat people that way just because they were treated that way.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Fisrt phone interview, then four 1:1 interview

Summer Intern - Valuation & Financial Advisory Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Applied to internship posting on university career website. Contacted 2 weeks later to come in for 1st round interview on campus. Interviewed 1-on-1 with Director, asked all the typical behavioral questions just to get to know me and my past experience better. Very nice and casual/laid-back, wasn't stressful at all. Scheduled for a 30 minute interview but ended up talking for over 45 minutes, seemed like he was really there to get to know the candidates rather than being there out of duty.

N/A

Corporate Finance Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

First had an on campus 30 min with a managing director. It was mostly easy behavioral questions but he did ask me a string of basic technical questions (how would I determine the financial health of a company given their financial statements, what happens to cash if accounts payable goes up, etc.). This was strange because I talked to two boys with my same background about their interviews and they had all behavioral, so I assumed I was asked technicals because I am a girl...

Second round was a super day in nyc. Got flown out, put up in a hotel, steak dinner, and 3 interviews the next day (2 behavioral, 1 technical). Everyone was pretty nice and the interviews weren't so hard.

Interview Questions
    • There was written case on the super day. Had to write a recommendation given some financial metrics about a company and a newspaper article.   Answer Question