FTI Consulting Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

Corporate Finance Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Surprisingly no behavioral questions at all. They tried to see how I handled pressure by asking me VERY technical questions, despite knowing that my finance experience was very limited. They also tried to make me nervous by asking me a couple of questions in Spanish (so be aware of what you put on your resume).

Interview Questions

• Very specific technical questions (ex. specifics about FCF growth percentage in Gordon Growth method)   Answer Question

Health Solutions Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2015.

Interview

I went through campus recruiting. The initial interview was essentially a 30 minutes resume walk through. The second round consisted of three 45 minute interviews. All interviews were one on one. They were interested in hearing about relevant academic and work experience in relation to health care, data analysis, and team work.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my interest in healthcare, experience with Excel, interest in data analysis, my skillset, and other general questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2015.

Interview

Met them at a career fair and was invited to an on-campus interview taking place a week later. After that it was about three or four weeks before they made their decision.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to solve a problem on the white board, asked other questions about projects I worked on and how I went about them   Answer Question

Corporate Finance Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Amherst, MA (US)).

Interview

First we had a pre interview "networking" night (aka the interviewers got drunk at the open bar while we were trying to ask them real questions). It seems as though they came to our school to recruit only because they went there for undergrad, and wanted to relive their "party years". They never intended on seriously interviewing any of us. The next day the interview was pretty ridiculous, a lot of specific technical questions... For an entry level job? They were interviewing college seniors! Needless to say, none of us that they interviewed went on to the final round. Now that I've graduated and have settled into a career at a firm where I am satisfied, I have realized that the culture at FTI is incredibly sexist and old fashioned, think 1950s era. This is what I have heard. So obviously, they don't hire many women.

Interview Questions

• Do you kids still go out to (name of local bar in college town) ? Seriously they asked us about this.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

First you have to complete an online numerical test issued by Saville Consulting. If you pass this test you get invited to a 4-5 hr assessment day. This involves a numerical test without calculator (hard), a verbal reasoning test (you do not have enough time), and then a group exercise. By the time I interview, they still used the lottery case. But there's not much you can do to prepare for this, researching government lotteries would not be beneficial. After the group exercise you have to complete a writing test. The people are nice and friendly, but the day is structured like an exam day. You have an informal lunch with graduates hired last year to ask some questions.

Interview Questions

• The exams were hard and you are rather tired by the end to do the writing test well.   Answer Question

Healthcare Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

Applied on school career service website and got pre-selected in two weeks. Back-to-back interview: lasted exactly an hour, 30 mins each with different interviewer. The first lady I talked to work for forensic, not actually healthcare. Asked some general questions, went through the resume, and one behavioral question. When time was up I was guided to another room talking with the healthcare director. Basically he went through the resume again and wanna know why I'm interested in FTI. In the end he emphasized "Do you have any questions for ME". Everyone is nice and approachable, and I really enjoyed talking with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you managed to settle down a conflict in work.   Answer Question

Interview

First round on campus with one analyst. Half Technical Half Behavioral. Second round in office with 3 different MDs. Mostly Behavioral but one or two technicals. Went out to lunch with one of the MDs.

Research Analyst, Economic and Financial Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online and completed online numerical test, which is not very difficult and very similar to numerical tests for other companies.  Graphical interpretation and lots of quick calculations of percentage growth, percentage shares, etc.

Was then invited to a first round assessment center.  The majority of the day takes place in a conference room with about 20 other applicants.  This consists of:
    1) a short slideshow presentation in a conference room
    2) 30 minute numerical test with 25 questions.  The questions really aren't complicated, but they really only measure how quickly you can make arithmetic (multiplication/division) calculations with decimals/percentages.  Many of the questions are straightforward "calculate this"-type with only a handful looking at ability to read a graph.  I found this extremely time pressured, and most people did not complete the test (accurately or without guessing at least). You're told before the test that it is not negatively marked and so to answer ALL the questions
    3) 30 minute verbal test with 28 questions.  Standard GRE/GMAT-style questions, with half being inference questions about many smaller pieces and one larger piece and the other half selecting the best way to restate the underlined part of a sentence.
    4) a group case study. Doesn't seem like they really change up the case since it seems similar to what others have said. Case is about the introduction of a lottery to a developing country. You are given a brief to read then given some time to complete a few tasks. First one is to look at what the government might judge proposals on. Second task which is broken up into subtasks is to put together a proposal for your assigned company to run the lottery. You then give a presentation and are asked questions on your presentation.
    5) There's a short lunch after the group case, then a 30 minute writing test where you have to summarize a piece. The piece we were given was about the PoW camp economy and cigarettes as a currency. The instructions are a bit unclear I thought, since all you're told is to summarize.

I found this round to be a bit impersonal. It doesn't seem like they make any effort to get to know the applicants, and at this stage you definitely feel like just a number with some test scores to them. Progressing on to the next stage is entirely dependent on the results of your tests. The next round would have been another assessment center that included interviews and case studies

Interview Questions

• Numerical test is definitely the hardest part of the day   Answer Question

FEDA Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

On campus interview then when on to Super day interviews. Great people interested in knowing what you're like as a person. There were no case interviews. They had a technical interview that was more focused on your resume and experience.

Macy's Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

On Campus Interview after meeting the recruiters at a Networking Event on campus. The entire process took about 2 weeks. Interview process consisted of one 30-minute behavioral and one 30-minute "case" interview. It was a simple case, and asked you to choose 1 of 5 employees to mentor.