FTI Consulting

Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details I interviewed for FTI through campus recruiting. I submitted a resume through career services (no cover letter) and was contacted to do a first round on campus interview. The first interview was about 45 minutes and was behavioral. After about a week and a half I was contacted for a final round interview at their office. This was comprised of 3 45 minute behavioral interviews. Each interview had one senior level and one junior level employee.

Interview Question – What are the top challenges facing the healthcare industry?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details I interviewed at the Center for Healthcare Economics and Policy. First round was a half hour phone interview and the second was a five hour in-person interview with several different people and including an Excel-based case study. For the case study, I was given an hour to answer four questions from a data set and then presented my conclusions to the team afterwards.

Interview Question – The phone interview included a pop quiz: What factors are contributing to rising health care costs as a percentage of GDP across the globe?   Answer Question

Consultant (Restructuring Group) Interview

Consultant (Restructuring Group)
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by the Restructuring team while at school by phone without having applied to the job. They invited me to dinner, having found my resume on my college Career Center's website. At dinner we had the opportunity to meet some of the members of the Restructuring team, hear a little bit about the work, and begin to forge relationships with the group. After the dinner, I officially applied for the position through the Career Center's website at my University.

I was then contacted shortly after asking me to interview on campus. The interview was very calm and natural, essentially walk me through your resume, but also asking two standard financial statement questions (If AP goes down, what happens to cash? If depreciation decreases, what happens to EBIT?)

Shortly after the interview I was contacted again by the company asking me to come in for an office visit, with three other applicants. They took us out for dinner in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet with and learn about some members of the Restructuring group and what work they do. After that there was a social with all FTI applicants across all departments of FTI where there was additional opportunity to meet FTI employees and learn about the company and its culture.

The next morning was the office visit. It began with a presentation about the firm. After that were three interviews with different members of the Restructuring team. These again were essentially behavioral interviews with one or two basic questions about the financial statements. There was one interview that incorporated a standard consulting brain teaser (How many nuclear warheads exist in the world today?) but it was only to see how the thought process occurred and the answer was not overly relevant.

Finally they took us out to lunch in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet members of the Restructuring group. The group's culture was easily determinable from all the networking opportunities, and it was clear that fit was the most important part of the interviewing process, as almost every member of the restructuring team was able to spend meaningful time with all of the applicants.

After lunch there was additional time before the Official HR closing which included all the applicants across all business units, so we had an additional interview with the fourth interviewer. Again the structure of this interview was behavioral with one or two technical financial statement questions. (If you were assigned to a company that was nearing bankruptcy, how would you first check their current financial stays?) -- This question was less cut and dry and more difficult, but again it was more of a thought process question as opposed to an answer based question.

Interview Question – Why should we give you the job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details 1st round interview- on campus- mostly just go through your resume questions. asked about analytical skills, what coursework could help me with the job, what sort of outside experiences. asked about specific points on my resume.

Interview Question – There was nothing that difficult in the first round.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2013.

Interview Details The interviewer asked a technical question about SQL in the first round interview, did not expect to answer that and answered it incorrectly. Make sure you prepare some basica SQL knowledge even they said the first round interview questions are all behavioral-based in the pre-night event.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to word with someone who is really difficult.   Answer Question

First Year Associate Interview

First Year Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details First round is quite simple-30 minutes, behavioral questions. No tricks, they just want to understand why you are interested in their particular type of consulting. Major plus points if you have accounting experience.

Interview Question – Very easy, nothing really comes to mind   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2012.

Interview Details Applied for summer internship through campus career center. Was selected for first round (1:1 interview with senior analyst). Asked about courses (econometrics specifically) and asked for details about projects, and some specific questions about regressions. Rest of the interview was behavioral questions. Interviewer was not that personable, and did not feel like I connected.

Interview Question – Tell me about an experience where you had to work with someone who was extremely difficult.   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Healthcare Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at FTI Consulting in July 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and was contacted for a phone interview about two weeks later. I didn't pass this interview, but if you did you can expect to do an Excel based test.

Interview Question – Not too difficult.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through another source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details Pass/Fail exhaustive data management test - including converting 3 flat files with millions of lines of data into trended financial statements for a healthcare system.

Interview Question – Pass/Fail exhaustive data management test - including converting 3 flat files with millions of lines of data into trended financial statements for a healthcare system.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was eager to make the move, and I accepted the initial offer.

Intern Interview

Intern

Interview Details On Campus Interview - very casual 2 half hour interview with directors at various offices. No case questions; this interview is purely behavioral/fit. Interview also helped clarify job function as intern since the website and description on the career site were not very clear. Would advise doing research on the company before going into the interview