FTI Consulting Interview Questions

Updated 28 Oct 2014
Updated 28 Oct 2014

First Year Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FTI Consulting.

First round is quite simple-30 minutes, behavioral questions. No tricks, they just want to understand why you are interested in their particular type of consulting. Major plus points if you have accounting experience.

Consultant (Restructuring Group) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2013.

I was contacted by the Restructuring team while at school by phone without having applied to the job. They invited me to dinner, having found my resume on my college Career Center's website. At dinner we had the opportunity to meet some of the members of the Restructuring team, hear a little bit about the work, and begin to forge relationships with the group. After the dinner, I officially applied for the position through the Career Center's website at my University.

I was then contacted shortly after asking me to interview on campus. The interview was very calm and natural, essentially walk me through your resume, but also asking two standard financial statement questions (If AP goes down, what happens to cash? If depreciation decreases, what happens to EBIT?)

Shortly after the interview I was contacted again by the company asking me to come in for an office visit, with three other applicants. They took us out for dinner in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet with and learn about some members of the Restructuring group and what work they do. After that there was a social with all FTI applicants across all departments of FTI where there was additional opportunity to meet FTI employees and learn about the company and its culture.

The next morning was the office visit. It began with a presentation about the firm. After that were three interviews with different members of the Restructuring team. These again were essentially behavioral interviews with one or two basic questions about the financial statements. There was one interview that incorporated a standard consulting brain teaser (How many nuclear warheads exist in the world today?) but it was only to see how the thought process occurred and the answer was not overly relevant.

Finally they took us out to lunch in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet members of the Restructuring group. The group's culture was easily determinable from all the networking opportunities, and it was clear that fit was the most important part of the interviewing process, as almost every member of the restructuring team was able to spend meaningful time with all of the applicants.

After lunch there was additional time before the Official HR closing which included all the applicants across all business units, so we had an additional interview with the fourth interviewer. Again the structure of this interview was behavioral with one or two technical financial statement questions. (If you were assigned to a company that was nearing bankruptcy, how would you first check their current financial stays?) -- This question was less cut and dry and more difficult, but again it was more of a thought process question as opposed to an answer based question.

Non-negotiable.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2013.

The interviewer asked a technical question about SQL in the first round interview, did not expect to answer that and answered it incorrectly. Make sure you prepare some basica SQL knowledge even they said the first round interview questions are all behavioral-based in the pre-night event.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to word with someone who is really difficult.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Questions
    • Pass/Fail exhaustive data management test - including converting 3 flat files with millions of lines of data into trended financial statements for a healthcare system.   Answer Question
    I was eager to make the move, and I accepted the initial offer.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

On Campus Interview - very casual 2 half hour interview with directors at various offices. No case questions; this interview is purely behavioral/fit. Interview also helped clarify job function as intern since the website and description on the career site were not very clear. Would advise doing research on the company before going into the interview

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FTI Consulting.

On campus interview/phone interview which lasted about 30-45 minutes; majority of the questions were behavioral with one technical question. Office visit consisted of lunch with a couple of individuals and three 30-45 minute interviews, which covered behavioral, technical and fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • Some case scenarios were asked during the technical interview.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase.

Healthcare Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FTI Consulting in July 2013.

Applied online and was contacted for a phone interview about two weeks later. I didn't pass this interview, but if you did you can expect to do an Excel based test.

Restructuring Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

After the initial screening, I had to complete a case study before being brought in for 4 face to face interviews. I met with people the consultant level to a managing director and then had lunch with them as well as the other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Why would I hire someone from an accounting background when I could hire an MBA or a consultant with experience?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Was originally contacted by a third party recruiter who put me in touch with the recruiter at FTI. Had the normal phone screen with the recruiter and then had another phone screen with a manager. Both were relatively straight forward and easy. I was then invited to the Chicago office where I met with two Directors. Both interviews went well. The next day, the recruiter contacted me and said the Director's really liked me, so she asked if she could contact my references as that was the last step before they give the official offer. After contacting my references, she extended me a verbal offer! She said she would send over the official (paper) offer the next day; however, I never heard from her. A few days later, I called the recruiter and she said they didn't have a project to staff me on that time, so they were going to wait a month before officially signing me. Never heard from her. A few months later, they ended up contacting a friend of mine for the exact same role. Not sure if they ever intended to give me a real offer, but if they didn't and they were merely stringing me along, they should have never asked to speak to my references as some of them were my coworkers. Also, don't make someone go through the whole process of leaving work and taking time off if you don't even have the capacity to hire them.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a situation where you exceeded your superior's expectations.   Answer Question

Financial Communications Intern Interview

Sent off CV and Covering Letter, then had a telephone interview, was personal questions mainly nothing difficult, few questions about the company, who their competitors are. lasted 30 minutes, got told I had a 2 week position within the week

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just read up on the company and have some 'give me a time when you...' prepared, make them a bit interesting and show that you took ownership of a task   Answer Question