Facebook

1,003 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

Interview Details Had 5 interviews all up, 1 with the recruiter (phone), then 4 on-site back to back 30 min interviews. Was quite an intense process all up

Interview Question – A case on estimating the revenue of Disneyland   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Melbourne

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Interview Details I was emailed by a recruiter who found me on LinkedIn. After some time (due to other reasons) I was scheduled a phone screening at 4AM my local time (In Australia). I answered a series of basic data structure and basic Android questions. Unfortunately, I had some of the exact details (specific names of layouts etc.) and was declined in an email after 3 days.

Interview Question – Typical Android Layouts (What's the best way to lay element vertically etc.).
Android Lifecycle.
LinkedList vs Arrays.
  View Answers (4)

Interview Question for Software Engineer Interview

Perth, Western Australia

I applied through other source - interviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

Interview Details My friend who was looking for a job got this question and couldnt figure it out. Let's see who can crack this one lol.

Interview Question – 1. You are asked to guess a random integer number between 0 and 999.
2. You are allowed to ask “Yes/No” questions about the number.
3. Can you determine the number with 10 questions?
  View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in January 2010.

Interview Details Gruelling, intensive. However it was great to meet all of the team and learn more about the workplace this way.

Interview Question – How do you feel about Facebook?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Interview Details This was for a position in their Infrastructure team in Cambridge MA.

Recruiter contacted me in September and was very interested in my background and experience with highly scalable systems - both in Finance and Mobile phone payments.
I attended some small intimate presentations they did as they were initially opening a new Boston office and wanted to grow it out. The meetings were great and I learned a lot about how they solve some of their biggest problems.

I then did a screening interview on-site (because I don't do technical screens well on the phone). The question was "Given a binary tree, write code to print the tree out line by line". I did OK and got the Breadth First Search down fine, but couldn't figure out the - line-by-line part. (Turns out this is Facebook's #1 question to ask in interviews).

Although my performance wasn't great they gave me a break on that and asked me back for another screening interview. This time I prepared well for another coding interview but it turned out to be a Design interview. The problem was

"Imagine you have 10,000 servers and need to monitor the performance of each one, how would you do it" - naturally you need to be able to NOT take too much of the bandwidth and so you'll have to do sampling, have some history to watch for trends etc.

I passed that and was very excited to be flown out to Menlo Park for the final round.
I studied like CRAZY based on questions on this site and CareerCup. I took 4 weeks and studied about 15 hours per week.

Turns out I focused on the wrong questions - I studied Tree, String, Array and List algorithms based on the distribution of Q&A but I was asked Binary math and heap algorithms. Here are the questions I was asked.

1) How would you implement division without +, - or multiplication (a "classic" question, but not one of the ones I would focus on). I bombed on this as I was not expecting and could not recall my binary math. I figured out the high level outline but that was all. That I was asked this in the "culture fit" interview made this doubly unexpected.

2) Given 10,000 servers containing a Billion integers each how would you find how to find the median? I knew the answer to this question (use two heaps) - not because I had focused on it, but I had found it an interesting question while studying. However he then asked "How much memory do you need?" and I didn't know how big the heaps would need to be. The real answer I was trying to get is - what is the minimum heap you need. I had a guess but I think I got this wrong.

3) Given a List structure where each node contains a Next node and optionally a pointer to another list, flatten that list
e.g.

L1 --> L2 --> L3 --> L7 --> L8
                      v
                     L4 --> L5-->L6

WIll be flattened to
L1 --> L2 --> L3 -->L4 -->L5-->L6-->L7-->L8

I did OK on this - getting the answer - but it appeared I took too long. The interviewer also interrupted me a lot while I was writing an initial solution and that threw me off - I like to be more iterative in my problem solving but I think he expected 100% immediate correctness.
He had an observer there too and that guy looked bored out of his mind and that bugged me a little too as it wasn't clear who would be doing the judging.

4) I was also handed some hard to read Python code (I don't know Python) and asked to figure out what it does. I did OK on this - but again surprised to be handed hard-to-read code in a language I didn't know.

5) One final question "How would you implement the "ls" Unix function in your language of choice. It should take the input:
>ls a/b/c/*/e/*/f/*/*/g
and the output should be similar the the output given by unix."

I used a tree structure to represent the file directory structure and wrote a solution from there. I did OK on this.

Overall: Everyone seemed very nice - I had a nice lunch and the campus is interesting but it was clear that what I studied was not what I needed to (so lesson learned: don't just trust the distribution of questions on Glassdoor or CareerCup). I even got to walk past Zuckerberg's office (more of a conference room) and saw Sheryl Sandberg in there.

One interesting thing I learned is a lot of Google people are leaving for Facebook. Also I'd say if you are over 30 (I am 41) you are a rare bird at Facebook :-)

I knew based on the reactions of the interviewers that it was very probably a bust, but overall a good experience and something I will learn from. Very disappointing as I really wanted to be one of the first few Facebook engineers in the Boston area - and to work on their super high scalability issues but such is Life.

Interview Question – How would you implement division without +, - or multiplication   View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied on Facebook's internship offers page by uploading my resume only and got an email 1 month later asking me further questions. Nothing difficult, just questions about myself, my studies, my favorite programming languages etc. I then scheduled a 45 minutes coding interview where I was asked 2 questions :

- Give all possible subsets of a set or powerset.
For example : If a set of 3 elements. {1,2,3} is given, then all possible subsets would be
{} - Empty Set
{1,2,3} - Full set itself
{1}
{2}
{3}
{1,2}
{2,3}
{1,3}

- Find 3 elements in an array that sum to 0.

Interview Question – The questions weren't exactly unexpected since I have read them on glassdoor before, but it did take me a while to get the first question right due to stress   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details Recruiter asked specific javascript trivia questions on first phone call, which I was not prepared for.

Interview Question – Difference between == and === javascript   View Answer

Internet Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details 1 interview with recruiter, 1 interview with hiring manager

Interview Question – Tell me one thing you'd want to improve about Facebook's online marketing capabilities   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details Recruiter contacted me from LinkedIn profile and got me first round of interviews in NYC office

Interview Question – How do you find the kth smallest number in a binary search tree.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details Facebook reached out to me via... a facebook message. I wasn't actively looking, but decided to go through the interview process because why not? Maybe they could offer me something my current employer couldn't. The interview process started with two phone interviews. The first was just information and some fact checking. The second was a bit more technical and I had to show the ability to code and answer statistical questions online as one (or more) people watched me type. Then they flew me out for a day/night and I went through 5 interviews in a row (30 minutes each). Facebook has a beautiful Menlo Park campus. Throughout the interviews, only one simple bayesian stats question was asked. Everything else was business questions and computer science questions. I think my training is much more stats/machine learning oriented, so I struggled with a few questions. I signed a NDA, so I can't disclose the exact questions. They asked me on optimal algorithms, standard SQL coding, and business problems. It was very interesting and they did a good job letting me work through things on my own. I think they were looking for someone with more computer science/programming experience than I had.

Interview Question – Again, I can't talk about the specific question, but after I wrote up a simple algorithm, the interviewer asked me for a more efficient solution. I really struggled with that.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook interview questions and advice. All 1,003 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.