Facebook

1,078 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview Details The process was as expected. First I submitted my resume, then once that was accepted I had to take an online Hackerrank test.

After passing that, then I received a phone call giving me more details about what to expect over the next stages.

Then was the phone interview, where I had to use collabedit to type my answers to the problem given. I was also asked if I had any questions. The interviewer was really friendly and made efforts to help when I seemed stuck.

Interview Question – Letters are represented by numbers, e.g.
A = 1
B = 2
...
J = 10
K = 11
etc.

Given a number (e.g. 113), how many different combinations of letters could this be converted to?
  View Answers (2)

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details one hackerrank, three technical interview.
the hackerrank question is fairly straightforward but easiest to do in higher level language.
technical interviews were okay, but not hint-ful or anything. made a stupid mistake in the last one and it cost me a lot :(

Interview Question – compare the leaves of a tree with early exit   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details Sent in my resume and cover letter. Then asked to participate in a over the phone programming test. Test lasts 30-45 minutes. They said to expect mid to high difficulty questions. Only had 2, to my detriment I blanked out and answered the questions but not efficiently.

Interview Question – They asked me to make a function to determine if two sets of numbers are overlapping. (1, 3) (2, 5) are overlapping.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

Interview Details Had 5 interviews all up, 1 with the recruiter (phone), then 4 on-site back to back 30 min interviews. Was quite an intense process all up

Interview Question – A case on estimating the revenue of Disneyland   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Android Developer
Melbourne

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Interview Details I was emailed by a recruiter who found me on LinkedIn. After some time (due to other reasons) I was scheduled a phone screening at 4AM my local time (In Australia). I answered a series of basic data structure and basic Android questions. Unfortunately, I had some of the exact details (specific names of layouts etc.) and was declined in an email after 3 days.

Interview Question – Typical Android Layouts (What's the best way to lay element vertically etc.).
Android Lifecycle.
LinkedList vs Arrays.
  View Answers (4)

Interview Question for Software Engineer Interview

Interview Question for Software Engineer
Perth, Western Australia

I applied through another source - interviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

Interview Details My friend who was looking for a job got this question and couldnt figure it out. Let's see who can crack this one lol.

Interview Question – 1. You are asked to guess a random integer number between 0 and 999.
2. You are allowed to ask “Yes/No” questions about the number.
3. Can you determine the number with 10 questions?
  View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in January 2010.

Interview Details Gruelling, intensive. However it was great to meet all of the team and learn more about the workplace this way.

Interview Question – How do you feel about Facebook?   Answer Question

User Operations Analyst Interview

User Operations Analyst
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied online through Facebook page, and they contacted me right immediately like on that day which was scary for me. I guess they embody truly the culture of moving fast. I got an e-mail with to complete some online test with 13 questions and they were on:
13 questions:
9 Analytical Multiple Choice Questions – focusing on sets, trend analysis, calculus, stats, etc.
1 open ended basic SQL question.
1 open ended normalization question.
1 Multiple Choice English language comprehension question.
1 open ended language question (this part should be 200 – 300 words).
The entire online assessment test was conducted through hackerrank.com and it was for 90 min.
Personally I did not go and complete the Quiz within couple of day. I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like the impossible interview and the aptitude interview from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

Interview Question – The most difficult or unexpected thing was that they contact you right immediately leaving you no time to prepare, so before you apply take you're time to prepare and they apply. other than that this question was pretty difficult:

An analyst at Facebook is conducting a satisfaction survey sampling from a list of 10,000 new users. The list includes 2,500 French users, 2,500 German users, 2,500 Italian users, and 2,500 Portuguese users. The analyst select a sample of 400 users, by randomly sampling 100 users of each country. is this an example of a simple random sample?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a contract, there where no negotiations.

Production Engineer Interview

Production Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details A recruiter contacted me. After confirming that I would like to interview for the position, I was asked basic questions around networking, Linux system administration, and programming. A graduating Computer Science student should expect to pass this with little difficulty.

Next was a phone interview for programming. I was asked to take input text and identify the unique words in the text and how many times each word occurred. Edge cases were important as was the performance. Interviewer asked for an analysis of the run-time and memory usage. Any second-year CS student should have no problem completing this in far less than the allocated time.

Next was a phone interview for systems administration. I was given the bare minimum information possible about a system and told to describe how I discover running services and potential issues. As I progressed, the interviewer gave me information reasonable based on my descriptions and identified when I had correctly discovered a problem or possible problem. In investigating problems, it was important to be specific about why the problem was occurring and how to address the issue. When addressing problems, the performance, scalability, and maintainability of the solution was very important. Be prepared to identify how a file system is mounted or if it's local, and be prepared to encounter a single central share mounted by many servers with active read/write activity from them all. This will be difficult for anyone without good real-world Linux systems administration experience.

Next I was flown out to HQ for a series of on-site interviews. A manager spoke to me to gauge my understanding of Facebook and the Production Engineering position (rely on the job description and don't be afraid to ask your recruiter lots of questions!) and to get to know me.

There's another interview about coding and another one for systems administration. Both are along the same lines as the phone interview, but more in-depth and more difficult.

There's a systems design interview, where you'll be given a target and asked to design a scalable and performant system to accomplish the goal. You may be asked to analyze the storage requirements (core and/or persistent) and network requirements of your system.

The last interview type is a networking interview, which is very in-depth and requires extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP/IP, DNS, etc. Essentially, start at a command prompt and think of what happens when you type "telnet www.facebook.com 80" - be prepared to talk about almost every single network-related thing that happens at all seven OSI layers. Know your packet layouts!

Throughout the entire process, my recruiter was always on top of keeping me informed and always answered questions very quickly (I rarely waited even most of a day for a reply). I rarely needed to ask anything about what to expect because she kept me so well informed. Don't worry too much about thinking at Facebook's scale, they understand that very few people have worked on anything even approaching their size and scale. Everyone you deal with will work hard to make things go as smoothly as it can.

Interview Question – The entire networking interview was very difficult, I was not expecting the amount of in-depth knowledge expected for that interview.   Answer Question

Community Operations Analyst Interview

Community Operations Analyst
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details I applied online and received an invitation to take an online test around a week after applying. Analytical test consisted of 8 questions mainly including graphs and interpretation of data and some problem questions. Language test consisted of 2 questions. First question was a short article in English and you have to select the correct answer based on your understanding. Second questions was in a language I was applying for and you should write a short text of up to 400 words.

Make sure you use ALL symbols available in your language like appropriate alphabet, accents and signs like à, è, ù, ç because if you do not the system will recognize it as a mistake and your results could be below their expectations. Unfortunately, that was the reason I did not pass the test. :(

Interview Question – Analytical questions included random sampling, graphs, problem questions. Last language questions was to describe the achievement I am most proud of.   View Answer

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!