Facebook

Updated 14 Dec 2014
1,233 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

one hackerrank, three technical interview.
    the hackerrank question is fairly straightforward but easiest to do in higher level language.
    technical interviews were okay, but not hint-ful or anything. made a stupid mistake in the last one and it cost me a lot :(

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Sent in my resume and cover letter. Then asked to participate in a over the phone programming test. Test lasts 30-45 minutes. They said to expect mid to high difficulty questions. Only had 2, to my detriment I blanked out and answered the questions but not efficiently.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to make a function to determine if two sets of numbers are overlapping. (1, 3) (2, 5) are overlapping.   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

The process was as expected. First I submitted my resume, then once that was accepted I had to take an online Hackerrank test.

After passing that, then I received a phone call giving me more details about what to expect over the next stages.

Then was the phone interview, where I had to use collabedit to type my answers to the problem given. I was also asked if I had any questions. The interviewer was really friendly and made efforts to help when I seemed stuck.

Interview Questions
    • Letters are represented by numbers, e.g.
      A = 1
      B = 2
      ...
      J = 10
      K = 11
      etc.

Given a number (e.g. 113), how many different combinations of letters could this be converted to?

View Answers (4)

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

I was emailed by a recruiter who found me on LinkedIn. After some time (due to other reasons) I was scheduled a phone screening at 4AM my local time (In Australia). I answered a series of basic data structure and basic Android questions. Unfortunately, I had some of the exact details (specific names of layouts etc.) and was declined in an email after 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • Typical Android Layouts (What's the best way to lay element vertically etc.).
      Android Lifecycle.
      LinkedList vs Arrays.

View Answers (4)

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

Had 5 interviews all up, 1 with the recruiter (phone), then 4 on-site back to back 30 min interviews. Was quite an intense process all up

Interview Question for Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied through other source – interviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

My friend who was looking for a job got this question and couldnt figure it out. Let's see who can crack this one lol.

Interview Questions
    • 1. You are asked to guess a random integer number between 0 and 999.
      2. You are allowed to ask “Yes/No” questions about the number.
      3. Can you determine the number with 10 questions?

View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in January 2010.

Gruelling, intensive. However it was great to meet all of the team and learn more about the workplace this way.

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.