Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated 2 Jul 2015

3.4

Human Resources Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

Process moved fairly quick; 1 week or so.

Recruiter reached out via email and we set up a call interview to discuss the role and my background within a couple of days. I was then referred to the hiring manager. The conversation with the hiring manager was great; simple questions about experience. However, I never heard back from the recruiter on status updates. I had to follow up a couple of times via email. I finally heard back, and they decided to move forward with another candidate.

FB appears to be growing a lot, thus many more roles within HR opened up. I reached out the recruiter via email to discuss potential roles. I was over-qualified for some and others I had the sufficient experience. I never heard back. After a week or so, recruiter responded stating that they are moving forward with other candidates.

I recently had interest for another role, and I received feedback that according to the same recruiter, they had an internal fit for it.

This was an interesting experience, and it is unfortunate that the recruiter did not take the proper time to explore a potential candidate with professional, valuable conversations. A simple conversation to better understand their needs and how my background would fit, would have made sense. At times, I wonder if these recruiters should be required to have more experience, given the excellent pool of candidates out in Silicon Valley?! You just never know who you may be putting to the side.

It appears as if the process is put at a "stop" based on the recruiters bias towards a candidate they have never met before or never personally worked with.

It is a loss for FB if the candidate could have been one to make a huge positive impact (who would know?) I was left with a sour taste of their culture, and that is unfortunate.

Partner Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter after 3 months of applying online. Had a phone interview with the hiring manager asking about my background and describing the role. Had another programming phone interview focusing on solving a problem on sending large data to customer in minimum latency and handling errors.
    Recruiter scheduled an onsite interview. Interview consisted of 4 rounds.
    1) Architecture problem.
    2) Interview with department head
    3) Coding exercise
    4) Team fit
    5) Hiring manager interview.
    All in all a good experience. Still waiting to hear back.

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

The interview was pretty easy.

They ask for pretty simple problems.

Sometimes some interviewers don't know what they want themselves, but generally everyone is polite.

Phone screen - talk
    Phone screen - programming
    On-site interview - 5 interviews each with 1-2 problems and android questions

I solved all the problems, but didn't get

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone Screen 45 min duration in total, the interviewer said a little bit about himself and went straight to a technical question. No background questions. The interview process went as expected, no surprises. The interviewer seemed to be a nice guy.

Interview Questions

• Given a sequence of numbers (34128) and an input map such as a dial pad on a phone (2->[a,b,c], 3->[d,e,f], 4->[g,h,i]) write an algorithm to return all possible words from the sequence.

E.g. Input: 232
      Output: [ada, adb, adc, aea, aeb, aec, afa, afb, afc, bda, bdb, bdc, bea, beb, bec, bfa, bfb, bfc, cda, cdb, cdc, cea, ceb, cec, cfa, cfb, cfc]

9 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

First, there was a phone screen with the recruiter, a technical screen (either phone or on site, candidate's choice), and an on site.

The recruiter was very professional and helpful, describing the process and the engineering culture at Facebook. They were very flexible in scheduling both the phone screen and onsite.

The phone screen was a standard technical phone screen, with the difficulty dialed up slightly. The solutions allowed were constrained (typically, constant space). After I presented my solution, we discussed its complexity.

The on site was very similar. The interview was very CS heavy. The questions asked relied on the knowledge of the properties of many data structures, including ones that are less often used. I can't recall any technical trivia questions being asked; all the questions surrounded a problem with an implementation that had to be coded on the white board. Parallelism and threads were also covered. I gave my answers in Python, and except for one interviewer that asked for a solution using Java, all accommodated. There was one design and architecture review which as different and a lot of fun. I was asked to design a system for a current feature of Facebook. The interviewers were great to interact with.

I had a couple offers that were exploding, and they said they would be able to get a decision back quick. But there was an offsite, so the decision was delayed a few days. I withdrew when I accepted another offer. To put it in context, my other offers were exploding within 72 hours of the on site, so it was a tall order and it's to their credit that they tried.

I left very impressed. When I'm looking for a position in the future, I'll definitely check them out.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

4 Rounds

Round 1: Talking with recruiter and see if your interest align with Facebook

Round 2: Phone Screen (45 Minutes) Algorithm and Data Structure

Round 3: Phone Screen (45 Minutes) Algorithm and Data Structure

Round 4: Onsite for entire day
    - 2 Coding
    - 1 Design
    - 1 Experience
    - 1 Hiring Manager

Interview Questions

• Just have your basic algorithm and data structure skills well versed   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Took multiple months as I was not available. The recruiter did an excellent job in making sure that I take the interview. The interview took 45 mins and started with details about my previous work experience. That took about 20 mins and then I was left with 20 mins for the programming question. He gave me a problem related to BST. Obviously I need to draw the tree etc and he cannot see that on phone interview. I started with multiple approaches and he told specifically what I need to do eg. give only recursive solution, you can only store few things no extra space. In the end i was able to solve with a minor hint and he was also telling me to fix bugs as I was coding as well indent code as per his standards. Overall it was a good experience but I did not get the offer as they are looking for people who can code in like 10 mins as I was able to code in 15-20 mins. They want bug free code and will only go forward with the best candidate. I think even if you do a minor mistake you are out as there is someone else who will solve it perfectly so try to solve it perfectly :)
    Another important lesson is if you get option of phone v/s in person interview, I will say go for in person interview as it gives the interviewer the chance to see what you are doing on paper verses imagining that over phone.

Interview Questions

• serialize and serialize a BST   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

I was first screened by the recruiter. I then had two, 45 minute, interviews with two different product designers. The first call was to walk them through my portfolio. The second call was to critique an app on my phone. I received Yelp.

Interview Questions

• They really dug deep into my design thinking and reasons for decisions made in regard to my portfolio.   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

Initial Chat - 3 basic JS questions ---> difference between == and === , difference between block and inline and I forgot the third

Calendar challenge (as the others have said there's a challenge). I too think this was the most difficult.

Then on-site. I heard a lot of good things about their interview process on-site, but I felt like mine wasn't that great. I had 3 interviews back-to-back without breaks. I didn't get a tour or a meal...

I also received no feedback, just that my whiteboard code wasn't clean (Um you should be quick, if you fail 1 interview you fail .. period). My recruiter was great. You can tell she tried. They called me a few days later telling me I didn't meet the requirements.

BIGGEST TIP: Go through all the questions on Glassdoor and CareerCup, code on paper not on your laptop! Trust your code will come out cleaner on a whiteboard this way.

Interview Questions

• Given two identical DOM trees (not the same one), and a node from one of them find the node in the other one.   Answer Question
    • Flatten array. This array can have multiple types: {}, [], "", undefined, null, 123 are all valid types inside the array.   Answer Question
    • Given a grid of characters output a decoded message. The message for the following would be IROCKA. (diagonally down right and diagonally up right if you can't go further .. you continue doing this)

I B C A L K A
      D R F C A E A
      G H O E L A D

Answer Question
    • Basic JavaScript async stuff (you should know event bubbling, debounce (its variant)... know how to code it). It would be a good idea to be aware of JS closure as well.   Answer Question
    • Poll Widget question (just know your positioning, relative, static etc know the differences inside out). You might want to know specificity as well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)).

Interview

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.