FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

Graduate Consultant Interview

Applied through Email, did the first round "Numeracy Excel and Finance Knowledge" test; not difficult questions just make sure you read the questions and bring a proper calculator with you. As to the excel questions, make sure you know how to =vlookup and conditional formatting; use help in excel if you do not know how to do anything.

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The written test (math / finance / excel) was a breeze. Following that, I had a whirlwind process where I interviewed with 5+ senior staff; also had to do a brief presentation. As I had prior experience, most of the questions were centred around my motivations and why I wanted to work at the firm. One can expect a lot of behavioural / fit-based questions and can be thrown unrealistic / bizarre hypothetical situations. You have to be convincing enough for them to reckon that you aren't a flight risk! Expect stuff around your inclination to hop across to the client side and don't sound ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. A little bit of focus perhaps around the business environment, the competitors, the target markets and the product; these should be easy to crack with some research.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in March 2012.

I went through a whirlwind process with FactSet. Within a week, I had done the tests, three interviews, another interview and presentation, and lunch with consultants. I didn't get the position, and I think I had what it takes to get it, but they just chose someone else over me who was better suited. But this helps me know what they're looking for. FactSet isn't a massive global company, and the consultants work in small, close-knit teams. If you're successful past the testing stage (Excel, Maths and Finance), then they are already pretty sure that you have the technical and problem solving skills needed to be a consultant. Along with the 4-5 weeks training they provide at the start of your career with them, you'll be set. Many of the employees I met didn't even have degree's in finance, and so it's not absolutely necessary you're a finance whiz.

The thing they're looking for in the interviews are your communication skills, your personality and ability to get along well with people. Because consultants are constantly meeting with clients you need to be someone who is likeable, easy to get along with and can hold a conversation. The more natural you are at this, the more likely they'll pick you. They're also looking for people who will fit well with their office since they're small and work closely together. Good work relationships means better productivity for them, and it's just generally a nicer environment to work in.

Overall, I had 4 interviews, one with the consulting manager, and three with sales executives. They were pretty casual, chatting type interviews where they just want to get to know you and your personality. The most important thing is to be yourself, be confident. Do not lie to them, or have pre-prepared 'stock answers' because they'll be able to see right through you - they deal with people every day. Don't be anxious or nervous, because if you get the job, you will be dealing with people every day and will be expected to be confident as you do your job representing FactSet. Make sure that when they give you the opportunity to ask questions, that you do ask questions. Ask them about the job and what you might be doing. Ask about what they do. Ask about how they got into the position they are in now. Find out stuff about them personally. What did they study? What is challenging for them about their position? What do they like doing on the weekends in their spare time? These questions are important because it shows you are able to start and hold conversation with people.

In summary, just be yourself. If you've got what it takes, they will see it in you. If you're not being yourself, they will see that too and it will work against you. They want the real you, because that's what their clients will want to see as well.

Interview Questions
    • What are three things you look for in a position? And what are 3 things you look for in a company to work for?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

The interview was rather ok, although the interviewer didn't seem to care much.

I've been told to have the answer after 3 days: got it two weeks later after the second follow up.
    It was "ah, sorry, the answer is no" with the promise of more feedback in 2 days.
    Never got it.

Quite unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing special - about my life, factset and my understanding of a consultant-job.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

the interviewer asked normal background questions first and asked a little about each of my previous jobs, standard questions. look up other example questions and logic questions for sample interviews online. the actual answer does not matter as much as your confidence and the logic behind how you arrived at your answer. do not hesitate

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

There was an online application form I had to fill out. Then I had to complete an online numerical and financial test. I was then invited to an interview a week later which include an interview and in-house excel test. Fairly ok
    The questions are essentially the same as been discussed earlier.
    Be prepared to be asked questions related to your experience and studies

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

I submitted my resume and received an email asking to do a phone interview a short while later. The woman that I interviewed with was rather soft-spoken. Being soft-spoken myself, it was a struggle for us to really get the ball rolling regarding our conversation, and I felt that that really dragged down the atmosphere.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Face to Face Interview + Excel Test after the initial online testing at the Factset office. The interview was with one member of HR. This took 30 mins. Then you are taken to another room where you take the Excel test on a laptop. They provide a spreadsheet with data and a sheet of paper asking you to fill the blanks using the appropriate functions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Factset
      Difference between IM and IB
      Tell me a time when you delivered good customer service
      What does a consultant do at Factset
      What differentiates Factset from competitors, who are Factsets competitors

Freeze Pane
      Conditional Formatting

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

talked to them in career fair and Hr connect me 2 days after career fair for the phone interview. Just one day after phone interview I got email about ask me for a onsite interview! Very effective! The onsite interview is two days later since my schedule is full in the following week. On site interview is super good experience! Everyone is super nice and open to discuss. Even through that I got bad news the following day, I am still think this company is amazing and highly recommended

Interview Questions
    • Tree Bfs(phone interview)   Answer Question
    • Triangle class code review(very bad code and I think I did not good there) linked list related problem and oop design related problem.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in February 2015.

I applied through campus recruitment and got an interview within 2 weeks. The interviewer asked behavioral questions, why you are interested, how did you hear about FactSet, explain a certain technology or system to a young child, and one brainteaser question.

My interviewer appears to be only serious and not that fun to hang out with...

Interview Questions
    • What is the degree of the angle between the two clock legs when the time is 3:15?   View Answer