FactSet

330 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant
Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FactSet in March 2012.

Interview Details I went through a whirlwind process with FactSet. Within a week, I had done the tests, three interviews, another interview and presentation, and lunch with consultants. I didn't get the position, and I think I had what it takes to get it, but they just chose someone else over me who was better suited. But this helps me know what they're looking for. FactSet isn't a massive global company, and the consultants work in small, close-knit teams. If you're successful past the testing stage (Excel, Maths and Finance), then they are already pretty sure that you have the technical and problem solving skills needed to be a consultant. Along with the 4-5 weeks training they provide at the start of your career with them, you'll be set. Many of the employees I met didn't even have degree's in finance, and so it's not absolutely necessary you're a finance whiz.

The thing they're looking for in the interviews are your communication skills, your personality and ability to get along well with people. Because consultants are constantly meeting with clients you need to be someone who is likeable, easy to get along with and can hold a conversation. The more natural you are at this, the more likely they'll pick you. They're also looking for people who will fit well with their office since they're small and work closely together. Good work relationships means better productivity for them, and it's just generally a nicer environment to work in.

Overall, I had 4 interviews, one with the consulting manager, and three with sales executives. They were pretty casual, chatting type interviews where they just want to get to know you and your personality. The most important thing is to be yourself, be confident. Do not lie to them, or have pre-prepared 'stock answers' because they'll be able to see right through you - they deal with people every day. Don't be anxious or nervous, because if you get the job, you will be dealing with people every day and will be expected to be confident as you do your job representing FactSet. Make sure that when they give you the opportunity to ask questions, that you do ask questions. Ask them about the job and what you might be doing. Ask about what they do. Ask about how they got into the position they are in now. Find out stuff about them personally. What did they study? What is challenging for them about their position? What do they like doing on the weekends in their spare time? These questions are important because it shows you are able to start and hold conversation with people.

In summary, just be yourself. If you've got what it takes, they will see it in you. If you're not being yourself, they will see that too and it will work against you. They want the real you, because that's what their clients will want to see as well.

Interview Question – What are three things you look for in a position? And what are 3 things you look for in a company to work for?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Norwalk, CT (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in June 2013.

Interview Details Applied after seeing job listing on indeed.com, After an initial phone round covering basic programming/algorithms, was asked to come on-site for an interview. Company paid for transportation and hotel.

Spent the day interviewing with various members of the company, some HR, but most of the interviews were technical. Most interviews focused on proficiency with algorithms and data structures, although there was a code review that required strong syntactic knowledge.

Interview Question – Design a board game.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Interview Details First interview was a 30 minute, mostly behavioral interview on campus. Within one or two days I was asked to interview at the FactSet office from 9am-2pm or so.

First step of the second round process was a brief tutorial of the software, my advice is to truly pay attention - it will help you with the interview portion. Second was 4 sequential interviews with various employees - mostly behavioral. Be prepared for brainteasers too, and to show how you would solve theoretical client problems on excel. Finally, two consultants took the day's candidates to lunch. Be sure to ask well-developed questions to stand out during the lunch.

Interview Question – Not difficult, but unexpected. I was asked to find the previous five days' closing prices for a particular stock. Then I was asked to find the average. I was given FactSet, as well as excel and was allowed to use any internet resource.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in January 2014.

Interview Details First, an exam will be taken. You have to wait for 1 week for the results. If you passed the exam, you'll be having an HR interiew.

Interview Question – The usual HR question such as tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2013.

Interview Details 1st stage - Fill in a couple of questions online and submite CV
2nd stage - Face to Face interview and tests; 3 tests - one maths (very similar to gcse), one on finance knowledge and one of Excel (knowledge of confitional formatting, Vlookups, sorting, filtering etc needed)
3rd stage - Assessment centre - includes a group exercise where you have to discuss and prioritise a list of tasks and then you present a micro teach which is where you teach the est of the group a skill (examples include tying a tie, playing guitar chords, origami, how to bake a cake etc)
4th and final stage - interview with 2 senior managers. lots of the questions are siilar to the first interview but are a bit more intense and you have to know what oyou're talknig about - you can't blag it tb.

Interview Question – what did you like/dislike about your uni course?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not really any negotiation - they offered me a role and i accepted.

IT Consultant Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details The written test are straight forward, make sure you read the questions and do as it said.
Math: easy
Finance: French CAC, Financial statement
Excel: frozen panel, standard deviation
Interview questions:
Why IT consultant?
Do you know what we do?
Do you have experience in a client facing role?
Tell me what a factset IT consultant daily life is like.

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details 4 behavioral style interview. One interview had an excel test and different question depending on how you rated yourself with proficiency to excel.

Interview Question – Not really anything too difficult   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details The interview includes all the elements covered in a Financial Engineering course. Most of the questions are based on BS Eqn., Bonds & C++ .
My experience with most of the interviewers was good except one, where the interviewer was not very articulate about her questions and was asking questions on mortgages without describing the nature of the contracts and she was also rude at times. But I enjoyed interviewing with other managers, they didn't just asked you questions but also had a good discussion on it. I did well, but I got a reject. They are very choosy for this position as its a very small department.

Interview Question – You don't really need to prepare anything, if you are a passionate Quant and enjoyed FE course.   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

Interview Details On campus first round, heard back a few hours later that they wanted me to come into New York for a final round. 4 interviews with managers and then lunch with two current consultants. Nothing too difficult, one excel problem which was pretty easy for someone with an excel background.

Interview Question – Nothing too technical. One excel problem with if-statements, and a few basic finance problems. "What is a stock?" Really nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details I applied online and two weeks later I got an email where they booked an interview via google +. The interview questions where all about the financial markets, what an IB and IM does and differences. The person interviewing me was nice. I got through and the week after I got Three tests to do in 1 1/2 hours. It was numeracy, excel and financial markets test.

Interview Question – Some of the questions in the financial markets test where about different indexes and they were quite difficult. Read up before taking the tests!   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet interview questions and advice. All 330 interview reviews are posted anonymously by FactSet employees and interview candidates.