FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

Graduate Consultant Interview

Applied through Email, did the first round "Numeracy Excel and Finance Knowledge" test; not difficult questions just make sure you read the questions and bring a proper calculator with you. As to the excel questions, make sure you know how to =vlookup and conditional formatting; use help in excel if you do not know how to do anything.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

The written test (math / finance / excel) was a breeze. Following that, I had a whirlwind process where I interviewed with 5+ senior staff; also had to do a brief presentation. As I had prior experience, most of the questions were centred around my motivations and why I wanted to work at the firm. One can expect a lot of behavioural / fit-based questions and can be thrown unrealistic / bizarre hypothetical situations. You have to be convincing enough for them to reckon that you aren't a flight risk! Expect stuff around your inclination to hop across to the client side and don't sound ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. A little bit of focus perhaps around the business environment, the competitors, the target markets and the product; these should be easy to crack with some research.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at FactSet in March 2012.

I went through a whirlwind process with FactSet. Within a week, I had done the tests, three interviews, another interview and presentation, and lunch with consultants. I didn't get the position, and I think I had what it takes to get it, but they just chose someone else over me who was better suited. But this helps me know what they're looking for. FactSet isn't a massive global company, and the consultants work in small, close-knit teams. If you're successful past the testing stage (Excel, Maths and Finance), then they are already pretty sure that you have the technical and problem solving skills needed to be a consultant. Along with the 4-5 weeks training they provide at the start of your career with them, you'll be set. Many of the employees I met didn't even have degree's in finance, and so it's not absolutely necessary you're a finance whiz.

The thing they're looking for in the interviews are your communication skills, your personality and ability to get along well with people. Because consultants are constantly meeting with clients you need to be someone who is likeable, easy to get along with and can hold a conversation. The more natural you are at this, the more likely they'll pick you. They're also looking for people who will fit well with their office since they're small and work closely together. Good work relationships means better productivity for them, and it's just generally a nicer environment to work in.

Overall, I had 4 interviews, one with the consulting manager, and three with sales executives. They were pretty casual, chatting type interviews where they just want to get to know you and your personality. The most important thing is to be yourself, be confident. Do not lie to them, or have pre-prepared 'stock answers' because they'll be able to see right through you - they deal with people every day. Don't be anxious or nervous, because if you get the job, you will be dealing with people every day and will be expected to be confident as you do your job representing FactSet. Make sure that when they give you the opportunity to ask questions, that you do ask questions. Ask them about the job and what you might be doing. Ask about what they do. Ask about how they got into the position they are in now. Find out stuff about them personally. What did they study? What is challenging for them about their position? What do they like doing on the weekends in their spare time? These questions are important because it shows you are able to start and hold conversation with people.

In summary, just be yourself. If you've got what it takes, they will see it in you. If you're not being yourself, they will see that too and it will work against you. They want the real you, because that's what their clients will want to see as well.

Interview Questions
    • What are three things you look for in a position? And what are 3 things you look for in a company to work for?   View Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at FactSet.

consists of 3 rounds:
    1.aptitude + output and pseudo coding : was simple. basics of c++ were focused upon.
    2. technical interviews: logical thinking and coding was checked basically. keep your oops concepts clear. Interviewers help u when u r stuck somewhere. try getting hint from them to solve.
    3. HR + technical interviews: try not to become nervous as u get tired til last round. Keep calm.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

There were two rounds of written test. The first roud was objective in that question were from ASP.Net,OOps concept and SQL. Second round was programming round in that they asked to write 5 programs

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

First they shortlist your CV and inform with tentative date for process. Which is a Test followed by GD & PI, if selected there would be a further round of personal interview before final selection.

Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at FactSet.

Set up a phone interview and the recruiter who called sounded very tired and listless. She seemed like she was going through the motions but had already decided I wasn't going to get the position, so I don't know why she called. She explained the position a little and how there was a training program before getting hired full-time, etc. etc.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were very standard, such as "what was your GPA?" "what kind of work environment are you looking for?" "what are your strengths/weaknesses?". No brain teasers   Answer Question

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

Initial stage - Online tests: I was given a numerical test, an excel test (basic; know how to use vlookup, conditional formatting etc), and a financial knowledge test (all calculation questions have formulae provided, but you should know things like index and exchange locations)

Face to face interview: Basic questions about why factset, why finance etc, along with some financial competency questions (difference between IB/IM, how would a portfolio manager use our software)

Interview Questions
    • What company indicators would someone in M&A look for in our software when looking to make an acquisition? How would a buy side trader use our software compared to sell side?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Written test round consist of 3 sections
    1. Aptitude ( 12 questions)
    2. Technical ( c++ based, 6 question)
    3. 4 coding questions

23 Shortlisted.

1 technical round ( 1.30- 2 hours)
    Questions on project , 3 coding questions , 1 question from c++ , 1 puzzle
    HR+tech ( around 1 hr)

Interview Questions
    • Find first k prime numbers of n digit. It was my first question . Took a time but gave them answer   Answer Question

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norwalk, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Originally started through campus recruiting. Initial interview was for Consultant, eventually was moved over to Product Development interview. Interview was at the corporate headquarters in Norwalk, Ct. Interviewed with 6 different members of PD team for about 45min-1hr each. Questions asked ranged from general i.e. "Do you have any coding experience" to general finance "What are some processes for company valuation, and how would you go about them" along with specific questions in excel.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite excel function (answered nested if or pivot tables). Okay, now make either in this spreadsheet.   View Answer
    Very little room for negotiation, was told similar situation form other entry level positions in PD.

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!