FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated 29 Jan 2015
Updated 29 Jan 2015

Graduate Consultant Interview

Applied through Email, did the first round "Numeracy Excel and Finance Knowledge" test; not difficult questions just make sure you read the questions and bring a proper calculator with you. As to the excel questions, make sure you know how to =vlookup and conditional formatting; use help in excel if you do not know how to do anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The written test (math / finance / excel) was a breeze. Following that, I had a whirlwind process where I interviewed with 5+ senior staff; also had to do a brief presentation. As I had prior experience, most of the questions were centred around my motivations and why I wanted to work at the firm. One can expect a lot of behavioural / fit-based questions and can be thrown unrealistic / bizarre hypothetical situations. You have to be convincing enough for them to reckon that you aren't a flight risk! Expect stuff around your inclination to hop across to the client side and don't sound ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. A little bit of focus perhaps around the business environment, the competitors, the target markets and the product; these should be easy to crack with some research.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in March 2012.

I went through a whirlwind process with FactSet. Within a week, I had done the tests, three interviews, another interview and presentation, and lunch with consultants. I didn't get the position, and I think I had what it takes to get it, but they just chose someone else over me who was better suited. But this helps me know what they're looking for. FactSet isn't a massive global company, and the consultants work in small, close-knit teams. If you're successful past the testing stage (Excel, Maths and Finance), then they are already pretty sure that you have the technical and problem solving skills needed to be a consultant. Along with the 4-5 weeks training they provide at the start of your career with them, you'll be set. Many of the employees I met didn't even have degree's in finance, and so it's not absolutely necessary you're a finance whiz.

The thing they're looking for in the interviews are your communication skills, your personality and ability to get along well with people. Because consultants are constantly meeting with clients you need to be someone who is likeable, easy to get along with and can hold a conversation. The more natural you are at this, the more likely they'll pick you. They're also looking for people who will fit well with their office since they're small and work closely together. Good work relationships means better productivity for them, and it's just generally a nicer environment to work in.

Overall, I had 4 interviews, one with the consulting manager, and three with sales executives. They were pretty casual, chatting type interviews where they just want to get to know you and your personality. The most important thing is to be yourself, be confident. Do not lie to them, or have pre-prepared 'stock answers' because they'll be able to see right through you - they deal with people every day. Don't be anxious or nervous, because if you get the job, you will be dealing with people every day and will be expected to be confident as you do your job representing FactSet. Make sure that when they give you the opportunity to ask questions, that you do ask questions. Ask them about the job and what you might be doing. Ask about what they do. Ask about how they got into the position they are in now. Find out stuff about them personally. What did they study? What is challenging for them about their position? What do they like doing on the weekends in their spare time? These questions are important because it shows you are able to start and hold conversation with people.

In summary, just be yourself. If you've got what it takes, they will see it in you. If you're not being yourself, they will see that too and it will work against you. They want the real you, because that's what their clients will want to see as well.

Interview Questions
    • What are three things you look for in a position? And what are 3 things you look for in a company to work for?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Submitted resume through campus career fair. HR invite me for a phone screen a couple of days later. The questions are very basic, including fundamental language based knowledge, coding and data structure design. All simple and basic. Went for onsite after a few weeks (I was not ready for onsite interviews after phone screen and delay the onsite interview date on purpose). It begins with a discussion with recruiter. Then there were two technique interviews, including coding, system design, OOD design, etc. After a launch interview, there was another technique interview with sample code analysis. The day ends with the final round of interview with directors, talking about background, projects and interests.

I got an offer on the next business day. The recruiter was very efficient.

In general, the interview questions were easy and fundamental. Nothing surprising. Everyone was nice and friendly. Very positive experiences overall.

Interview Questions

Got a few other offers with much higher compensation

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

1. Online application which included answering some questions and submitting your CV
    2. Online test (Finance, Numerical). Numerical was very easy. Finance was easy, but you had to know some financial terms and the names of some stock exchanges and indices.
    3. Interview & Excel Test. Interview was pretty easy and conversational. Asked me to describe what Factset does, who were their customers, etc. Also asked about my CV and experiences. Excel test also easy, but I did not know some basic stuff. You should know: freeze panes, vlookup, average & sum & standard deviation formulas, if conditioning to color code some cells.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was easy and the questions were mainly those that are already discussed in this forum. But the interviewer also asked what kind of company information and what sort of companies do Investment Bankers look at for M&A.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Two rounds of interviews. the first one is an one-to-one, the second one is assessment centre which includes Microtech, group exercise and demonstration of Factset platform. The first one is quite easy.
    all based on CV and quite laid back.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2015.

Submitted my resume through online portal, received email for phone interview about a week after. Talked to recruiter on the phone - pretty standard questions - why FactSet, are you proud of your GPA, why finance - basic questions. Was then moved on to the next round in the New York Office...Interviewed with 4 Consulting Managers that day and then went out to lunch with 2 consultants.

Overall, I thought it was a good experience but I was extremely disappointed with my final interview with one of the consulting managers. The interviewer asked me a brain teaser - How many golfballs fit in this room and I was not only caught off guard, but she failed to ask any of the other candidates the same question as well. This position is not a true consulting position like at a McKinsey or Bain, you are basically a big part of the customer support at FactSet so I am unclear why she thought that question was relevant.

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online. Aplication form is very similar to other companies: answering some questions, information about your education, work experience, if any, etc. After I passed the tests (Finance, Numerical) I was invited to an interview and in-house excel test the following week.With e-mail I was also sent SJT which needed to be compelted and send them back. The interview was average, easy for me as I did some research and was perpared for almost every question.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were not difficult or unexpected at all, like why consultancy, describe th econsultant's day responsibilities, what are the company's clients, what a difference in information are needed for IB and IM.....   Answer Question

First round interview (2 parts):

Part I (Written test):
              Aptitude test, financial & Excel knowledge, and some self evaluation.

Part II (Discussion):

1. Think of something you found interesting, cannot be work experiences though (This part is pretty much self-introduction)
    2. Imaginary task (Tasks most likely not related to Factset's businesses)
    3. Workplace simulation

Interview Questions
    • The written test would be quite difficult to people without solid Excel knowledge.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at FactSet.

Written Test and then Technical as well as HR interview. The test was basically focused on 4 areas: Aptitude, English Comprehension, Grammar and Finance. Primary focus was on your Finance knowledge. People with sound Financial knowledge can easily get through it.