FactSet

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Consultant Interview

Graduate Consultant
Sydney

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details The written test (math / finance / excel) was a breeze. Following that, I had a whirlwind process where I interviewed with 5+ senior staff; also had to do a brief presentation. As I had prior experience, most of the questions were centred around my motivations and why I wanted to work at the firm. One can expect a lot of behavioural / fit-based questions and can be thrown unrealistic / bizarre hypothetical situations. You have to be convincing enough for them to reckon that you aren't a flight risk! Expect stuff around your inclination to hop across to the client side and don't sound ambitious.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. A little bit of focus perhaps around the business environment, the competitors, the target markets and the product; these should be easy to crack with some research.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

Graduate Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details A friend passed on my resume and I received a call to come in for testing. The day consisted of 3 tests, excel, numeracy and finance. The excel part was pretty basic, standard formatting, a few formulas and vlookup tables. The numeracy was pretty straight forward as well, don't need to study much for this one but I would recommend bringing a calculator in. For the finance part brush on up on your financial market knowledge.

Haven't heard back yet regarding next stage.

Interview Question – If you don't have a Finance background the finance section may be a bit tricky   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FactSet in March 2012.

Interview Details I went through a whirlwind process with FactSet. Within a week, I had done the tests, three interviews, another interview and presentation, and lunch with consultants. I didn't get the position, and I think I had what it takes to get it, but they just chose someone else over me who was better suited. But this helps me know what they're looking for. FactSet isn't a massive global company, and the consultants work in small, close-knit teams. If you're successful past the testing stage (Excel, Maths and Finance), then they are already pretty sure that you have the technical and problem solving skills needed to be a consultant. Along with the 4-5 weeks training they provide at the start of your career with them, you'll be set. Many of the employees I met didn't even have degree's in finance, and so it's not absolutely necessary you're a finance whiz.

The thing they're looking for in the interviews are your communication skills, your personality and ability to get along well with people. Because consultants are constantly meeting with clients you need to be someone who is likeable, easy to get along with and can hold a conversation. The more natural you are at this, the more likely they'll pick you. They're also looking for people who will fit well with their office since they're small and work closely together. Good work relationships means better productivity for them, and it's just generally a nicer environment to work in.

Overall, I had 4 interviews, one with the consulting manager, and three with sales executives. They were pretty casual, chatting type interviews where they just want to get to know you and your personality. The most important thing is to be yourself, be confident. Do not lie to them, or have pre-prepared 'stock answers' because they'll be able to see right through you - they deal with people every day. Don't be anxious or nervous, because if you get the job, you will be dealing with people every day and will be expected to be confident as you do your job representing FactSet. Make sure that when they give you the opportunity to ask questions, that you do ask questions. Ask them about the job and what you might be doing. Ask about what they do. Ask about how they got into the position they are in now. Find out stuff about them personally. What did they study? What is challenging for them about their position? What do they like doing on the weekends in their spare time? These questions are important because it shows you are able to start and hold conversation with people.

In summary, just be yourself. If you've got what it takes, they will see it in you. If you're not being yourself, they will see that too and it will work against you. They want the real you, because that's what their clients will want to see as well.

Interview Question – What are three things you look for in a position? And what are 3 things you look for in a company to work for?   View Answer

Research Specialist Interview

Research Specialist
Norwalk, CT (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details Screening phone interview with HR, initial in-person interview with hiring manager group 1 but was not given an offer, initial call interview with hiring manager group 2, and round two in-person interviews with hiring manager group 2 and two colleagues each individually.

Everyone was friendly and asked standard questions about my background.

Interview Question – Specific question about data.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tried to negotiate but the company would not submit a new offer.

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

Interview Details After the first step of submitting the application form, I was invited to a Google chat. The questions were a mix of the typical ones such as ''Why Consulting?'', ''Tell me about FactSet?'', etc and some more targeted to the position such as favourite part of the Finance world, why; difference between Investment Management and IB; You need to know a lot about the company because after the typical question about clients they asked you to explain what kind of their products would be used by the different clients and how their software would help the professionals. It will also be useful to read through the annual report in order to answer questions about their competitors.
If you were successful with the interview they send you 3 tests- numerical, financial markets and an Excel one. The numerical- pretty easy, financial markets- easy for people with genuine interest in the financial world, the Excel test- not too complicated, but it's a weird online version which does not allow you to do a lot while using the programme, I found that irritating. After you complete these, they send you another Excel test, again not difficult, you download it so it's a normal version, the pressure is the time.

Interview Question – What is your favourite part of Finance? (It was tricky for me since I could not say that there is anything in particular that I am crazy about.)   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details Was referred by a friend inside the company. After being referred, I promptly received a phone call to discuss my general experience. Next I was flown out to my city of choice. In person interview consisted of 4 15-minute question sessions with employees. Many of the questions were redundant. Mostly personality and experienced based. One brain-teaser and one excel problem.

Interview Question – What stock would you invest in and why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Gamé (Togo)

I applied online - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Interview Details academic background, reason for resignation, previous working experience , career goal, motivation, open question and answer... you name it as you want. interview online and then onsite with the manager. just need to talk and let him know you. that is all and no more

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in May 2010.

Interview Details 1. Phone interview. Asked what stock I'm following and why. Also are there any stories I'm currently interested in relating to financial markets.
2. Group interview. Met with head of consulting and current consultants. Asked about company and what ny understanding of the buy and sell side is.
3. Group lunch. This is a lunch so I'd recommend being friendly but treat this like an interview. Do not get too comfortable.

Interview Question – Explain excel to your grandmother who is computer illiterate.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in October 2012.

Interview Details One on campus interview. All fit questions. Related to why I wanted to work for FactSet, what I knew about their competitors (Bloomberg, CapitalIQ, Thomson One). Which office I was interested in working in (they had 4)? Very friendly, and more like a conversation than a traditional interview. Talked about the career path that you could take within the company.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for FactSet?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Norwalk, CT (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

Interview Details I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Question – Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   View Answer

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!