FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated 9 Dec 2014
Updated 9 Dec 2014

Graduate Consultant Interview

Applied through Email, did the first round "Numeracy Excel and Finance Knowledge" test; not difficult questions just make sure you read the questions and bring a proper calculator with you. As to the excel questions, make sure you know how to =vlookup and conditional formatting; use help in excel if you do not know how to do anything.

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The written test (math / finance / excel) was a breeze. Following that, I had a whirlwind process where I interviewed with 5+ senior staff; also had to do a brief presentation. As I had prior experience, most of the questions were centred around my motivations and why I wanted to work at the firm. One can expect a lot of behavioural / fit-based questions and can be thrown unrealistic / bizarre hypothetical situations. You have to be convincing enough for them to reckon that you aren't a flight risk! Expect stuff around your inclination to hop across to the client side and don't sound ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. A little bit of focus perhaps around the business environment, the competitors, the target markets and the product; these should be easy to crack with some research.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in March 2012.

I went through a whirlwind process with FactSet. Within a week, I had done the tests, three interviews, another interview and presentation, and lunch with consultants. I didn't get the position, and I think I had what it takes to get it, but they just chose someone else over me who was better suited. But this helps me know what they're looking for. FactSet isn't a massive global company, and the consultants work in small, close-knit teams. If you're successful past the testing stage (Excel, Maths and Finance), then they are already pretty sure that you have the technical and problem solving skills needed to be a consultant. Along with the 4-5 weeks training they provide at the start of your career with them, you'll be set. Many of the employees I met didn't even have degree's in finance, and so it's not absolutely necessary you're a finance whiz.

The thing they're looking for in the interviews are your communication skills, your personality and ability to get along well with people. Because consultants are constantly meeting with clients you need to be someone who is likeable, easy to get along with and can hold a conversation. The more natural you are at this, the more likely they'll pick you. They're also looking for people who will fit well with their office since they're small and work closely together. Good work relationships means better productivity for them, and it's just generally a nicer environment to work in.

Overall, I had 4 interviews, one with the consulting manager, and three with sales executives. They were pretty casual, chatting type interviews where they just want to get to know you and your personality. The most important thing is to be yourself, be confident. Do not lie to them, or have pre-prepared 'stock answers' because they'll be able to see right through you - they deal with people every day. Don't be anxious or nervous, because if you get the job, you will be dealing with people every day and will be expected to be confident as you do your job representing FactSet. Make sure that when they give you the opportunity to ask questions, that you do ask questions. Ask them about the job and what you might be doing. Ask about what they do. Ask about how they got into the position they are in now. Find out stuff about them personally. What did they study? What is challenging for them about their position? What do they like doing on the weekends in their spare time? These questions are important because it shows you are able to start and hold conversation with people.

In summary, just be yourself. If you've got what it takes, they will see it in you. If you're not being yourself, they will see that too and it will work against you. They want the real you, because that's what their clients will want to see as well.

Interview Questions
    • What are three things you look for in a position? And what are 3 things you look for in a company to work for?   View Answer

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

30 minute interview that focused almost entirely on financial questions, which seemed difficult to me, coming from a non-financial background. You need to be very aware of what their products are and how they could be used by their clients. Three tests - numerical, financial and Excel-based. They aren't too hard and you've got plenty of time to complete them.

Interview Questions
    • How would investment bankers use information provided by FactSet to evaluate mergers and acquisitions?   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I applied by submitting the application form, I was then invited to a Google chat interview. The questions varied between competency based and technical questions about the role. In addition to the the standard competency and motivation questions, make sure you have researched the company, what they do and their competitors and be prepared to discuss the role thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions if you go through the previous posts here
      - what is the difference between IM and IB
      - How do these use our software differently

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FactSet.

We had 3 rounds .
    The first round was an easy one , i was shot with many puzzles and basic computer questions and some basic algorithms .
    Second round was a core technical one which consisted of core Dsa concepts and was then asked about NLP .
    Third round was an intense HR round , was shot on with question one after another non stop .

Interview Questions
    • How the mobile contact search is done and what data structure is used ?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I applied online, and shortly after an HR manager called me to schedule a phone interview. I prepared heavily for the phone interview, however, she never called. After taking 2 business days to respond to my email about the "mix up," she rescheduled my interview for the following day. Two hours before our rescheduled interview, she asked to reschedule the interview for the following day. The next day, I waited for her phone call, which ended up never coming. Not that she was aware, but I was actually on a road trip and pulled over for a half hour waiting for her to call. Honestly, I was blown away by how inconsiderate she was of my time, by not calling not once, but twice. Four business days later, she reached out to reschedule AGAIN. By then, I was extremely turned off by the company and had reached out to a supervisor (I'm sure that reflected poorly on me, but I was beyond frustrated). I actually received a call for the third scheduled interview (2 weeks after the original one I had scheduled), but by a different woman. The questions were standard; know the company, know the position, just do your research. I ended up not even making it past the phone interview, which given my resume/interview answers, probably had something to do with my frustration with them. Kind of ridiculous and a total waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, "Explain what FactSet does," "What traits do you have that would benefit this position"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The hiring process starts with a phone interview. The interviewer asked some basic Data Structure/Algorithm questions. I was not asked to write code though.Then the recruiter contacted me to schedule an onsite interview. The onsite interview has 3 technical rounds, in every technical round there will be two engineers, 1 HR round and 1 Director round. The first technical round consists of Code Review. I was asked to find problems in a linked list implementation written in C++ although i am not a C++ guy but the problems were logical in nature and could be easily figured out even if you dont know C++. The second round was design round. Asked me to design an inverted index based search engine. In the third round they asked me to design an arithmetic expression evaluator, which basically means that you need to know about converting an infix expression to post fix expression and then evaluating the posfix expression. Then the HR took an overall feedback from me regarding the interview process. The last round was Director round in which my overall past experiences were discussed.

Interview Questions
    • How will you evaluate an arithmetic expression. (Infix->Postfix->Postfix evaluation)   Answer Question
    I negotiated and got a better deal. I would say that if you have a resonably good feedback from the HR then you should try to negotiate.

Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FactSet.

Paper based Test - includes Comprehension (English Proficiency), Logical Reasoning, Aptitude, Data Interpretation and Finance related.
    Presentation on Leadership (examples on personal life situations)
    Interview (HR+Technical) - questions on financial markets, derivatives, resume based questions, internship based questions, situational questions based on work profile.

Interview Questions
    • Looking at your profile you are not match for this work profile, justify yourself why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

I applied online. The procedure was not surprising. Their HR is accommodating.

1. Introduction of yourself.
    2. How much do you know about the company?
    3. Why do you think your skill fits?
    4. The difference between pointer and reference?
    5. Why use reference more?
    6. How do you test a program that sorts an array of strings?

Interview Questions
    • What is the best data structure to store sorted phone book data?   Answer Question