FactSet Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct 2014
Updated 20 Oct 2014

Graduate Consultant Interview

Applied through Email, did the first round "Numeracy Excel and Finance Knowledge" test; not difficult questions just make sure you read the questions and bring a proper calculator with you. As to the excel questions, make sure you know how to =vlookup and conditional formatting; use help in excel if you do not know how to do anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

The written test (math / finance / excel) was a breeze. Following that, I had a whirlwind process where I interviewed with 5+ senior staff; also had to do a brief presentation. As I had prior experience, most of the questions were centred around my motivations and why I wanted to work at the firm. One can expect a lot of behavioural / fit-based questions and can be thrown unrealistic / bizarre hypothetical situations. You have to be convincing enough for them to reckon that you aren't a flight risk! Expect stuff around your inclination to hop across to the client side and don't sound ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. A little bit of focus perhaps around the business environment, the competitors, the target markets and the product; these should be easy to crack with some research.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FactSet in March 2012.

I went through a whirlwind process with FactSet. Within a week, I had done the tests, three interviews, another interview and presentation, and lunch with consultants. I didn't get the position, and I think I had what it takes to get it, but they just chose someone else over me who was better suited. But this helps me know what they're looking for. FactSet isn't a massive global company, and the consultants work in small, close-knit teams. If you're successful past the testing stage (Excel, Maths and Finance), then they are already pretty sure that you have the technical and problem solving skills needed to be a consultant. Along with the 4-5 weeks training they provide at the start of your career with them, you'll be set. Many of the employees I met didn't even have degree's in finance, and so it's not absolutely necessary you're a finance whiz.

The thing they're looking for in the interviews are your communication skills, your personality and ability to get along well with people. Because consultants are constantly meeting with clients you need to be someone who is likeable, easy to get along with and can hold a conversation. The more natural you are at this, the more likely they'll pick you. They're also looking for people who will fit well with their office since they're small and work closely together. Good work relationships means better productivity for them, and it's just generally a nicer environment to work in.

Overall, I had 4 interviews, one with the consulting manager, and three with sales executives. They were pretty casual, chatting type interviews where they just want to get to know you and your personality. The most important thing is to be yourself, be confident. Do not lie to them, or have pre-prepared 'stock answers' because they'll be able to see right through you - they deal with people every day. Don't be anxious or nervous, because if you get the job, you will be dealing with people every day and will be expected to be confident as you do your job representing FactSet. Make sure that when they give you the opportunity to ask questions, that you do ask questions. Ask them about the job and what you might be doing. Ask about what they do. Ask about how they got into the position they are in now. Find out stuff about them personally. What did they study? What is challenging for them about their position? What do they like doing on the weekends in their spare time? These questions are important because it shows you are able to start and hold conversation with people.

In summary, just be yourself. If you've got what it takes, they will see it in you. If you're not being yourself, they will see that too and it will work against you. They want the real you, because that's what their clients will want to see as well.

Interview Questions
    • What are three things you look for in a position? And what are 3 things you look for in a company to work for?   View Answer

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

Online Application, 3 Online Tests (Maths, Simple Excel functions, Finance Multiple Choice) Face-Face interview (Quick, to get a feel for who you are), Assessment Centre (In-Depth Interview with Senior Staff, Group Assessments and MicroTeach Presentation), Offer

Interview Questions
    • If not from a finance background, study Investment Banking and Investment Management, and the differences, and what Factset could do for both of them differently.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

I applied on campus career fair. I got response for a phone interview about 10 days later. I was assigned a software manager from New York office. HR asked me to attached my sample code and my resume before interview, but obviously that interviewer didn't read anything before interviewing at all! And just made up a question during the call

Interview Questions
    • to design an application to search a particular document which saved in a tree.   Answer Question

Management Trainee(Team Leader/Content Operations) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

Written Multiple Choice Questions pencil-paper test having Logical Reasoning, english comprehension, Data Interpretation, Doamin knowledge(finance) followed by ppt evaluation on task/ situation/ event in your life showing your leadership skills and panel interview in hyderabad office

Interview Questions
    • Why MBA after Engg? How will you handle telugu speaking members in team? Why should we take you?   Answer Question

Equity Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied in-person – interviewed at FactSet.

Hiring Process includes Written Test and Face to Face Interview. First Round includes Technical written test and English skills Test. if we select in the Written test, will move to next round, that it's Technical Round,may have technical Interview's one is with Team Lead and second one with Manager , if we select in the manager round, next HR Round or Pay Discussion.

Interview Questions
    • what are the difference between Equity shares and Preference shares.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied this position through internet on their website. Very quickly, I received reply in my mail box for for the arrangement of interveiw. Three people conducted the interview and they tried to make me feel easy and relax. The whole process was quite friendly, just as talking to your friend. No surprising questions, nor difficult technical ones.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing quite different than other questions already on this site. Advice for people will get interview: review this website, all questions are included.   Answer Question

Salary offered too low

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Applied online, was called a few days later to set up a time to interview.

First Interview: Took a number of timed tests (math, logic, programming) and a test specific to the position I was applying for. Following that I interviewed with the person whom I would work with I got the job. I basically just walked through my resume.

Second and Final Interview: Interviewed directly with the senior manager. The interview was long, almost one hour in length. He gave me a in depth review of his team and the work they were doing, and also asked me about some of my work experience.

At no point did I feel any pressure or stress. FactSet really seems to want to hire those who are a good fits for the company. Everyone is really friendly and supportive. The recruiters are also very approachable and respond quickly.

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FactSet.

consists of 3 rounds:
    1.aptitude + output and pseudo coding : was simple. basics of c++ were focused upon.
    2. technical interviews: logical thinking and coding was checked basically. keep your oops concepts clear. Interviewers help u when u r stuck somewhere. try getting hint from them to solve.
    3. HR + technical interviews: try not to become nervous as u get tired til last round. Keep calm.