FactSet Interview Questions & Reviews

360 interviews

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

The written test (math / finance / excel) was a breeze. Following that, I had a whirlwind process where I interviewed with 5+ senior staff; also had to do a brief presentation. As I had prior experience, most of the questions were centred around my motivations and why I wanted to work at the firm. One can expect a lot of behavioural / fit-based questions and can be thrown unrealistic / bizarre hypothetical situations. You have to be convincing enough for them to reckon that you aren't a flight risk! Expect stuff around your inclination to hop across to the client side and don't sound ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. A little bit of focus perhaps around the business environment, the competitors, the target markets and the product; these should be easy to crack with some research.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

A friend passed on my resume and I received a call to come in for testing. The day consisted of 3 tests, excel, numeracy and finance. The excel part was pretty basic, standard formatting, a few formulas and vlookup tables. The numeracy was pretty straight forward as well, don't need to study much for this one but I would recommend bringing a calculator in. For the finance part brush on up on your financial market knowledge.

Haven't heard back yet regarding next stage.

Interview Questions
    • If you don't have a Finance background the finance section may be a bit tricky   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at FactSet in March 2012.

I went through a whirlwind process with FactSet. Within a week, I had done the tests, three interviews, another interview and presentation, and lunch with consultants. I didn't get the position, and I think I had what it takes to get it, but they just chose someone else over me who was better suited. But this helps me know what they're looking for. FactSet isn't a massive global company, and the consultants work in small, close-knit teams. If you're successful past the testing stage (Excel, Maths and Finance), then they are already pretty sure that you have the technical and problem solving skills needed to be a consultant. Along with the 4-5 weeks training they provide at the start of your career with them, you'll be set. Many of the employees I met didn't even have degree's in finance, and so it's not absolutely necessary you're a finance whiz.

The thing they're looking for in the interviews are your communication skills, your personality and ability to get along well with people. Because consultants are constantly meeting with clients you need to be someone who is likeable, easy to get along with and can hold a conversation. The more natural you are at this, the more likely they'll pick you. They're also looking for people who will fit well with their office since they're small and work closely together. Good work relationships means better productivity for them, and it's just generally a nicer environment to work in.

Overall, I had 4 interviews, one with the consulting manager, and three with sales executives. They were pretty casual, chatting type interviews where they just want to get to know you and your personality. The most important thing is to be yourself, be confident. Do not lie to them, or have pre-prepared 'stock answers' because they'll be able to see right through you - they deal with people every day. Don't be anxious or nervous, because if you get the job, you will be dealing with people every day and will be expected to be confident as you do your job representing FactSet. Make sure that when they give you the opportunity to ask questions, that you do ask questions. Ask them about the job and what you might be doing. Ask about what they do. Ask about how they got into the position they are in now. Find out stuff about them personally. What did they study? What is challenging for them about their position? What do they like doing on the weekends in their spare time? These questions are important because it shows you are able to start and hold conversation with people.

In summary, just be yourself. If you've got what it takes, they will see it in you. If you're not being yourself, they will see that too and it will work against you. They want the real you, because that's what their clients will want to see as well.

Interview Questions
    • What are three things you look for in a position? And what are 3 things you look for in a company to work for?   View Answer

QA Analyst Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

First round was aptitude which is of easy questions and next round is so called technical hr rounds which are very easy to crack and they would hardly ask technical questions and finally Business round by the team lead.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Application + 1 hour Phone interview, 3 hours on site interview including product demo, technical screening and soft skill session. Tech part was really challenging in terms of data structure questions...

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in August 2014.

I was referred by an employee, had a brief screening phone interview with an HR rep from Norwalk ("tell me about yourself") and then an in-person in the NYC office. Purely technical interview with the head of group - questions about basic finance and programming terms. ("What is HTML? What is CSS? What is SQL? Why is it called 'hypertext?' and 'markup?' Why is HTML not a language? What makes CSS cascading? Why does the value of a stock go up when a company profits? Why would anyone buy a stock? What happens to a bond when interest rates go up?") Basically no behavioral questions, other than "why are you leaving your current job?" The questions weren't very difficult, but the interviewer was inquisitive (though polite,) and really drilled into every topic - anything I wasn't 100% certain of, I got more in-depth questions on.

Interview Questions
    • What happens to a bond when interest rates go up? Why isn't HTML considered a language?   Answer Question

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norwalk, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at FactSet.

Screening phone interview with HR, initial in-person interview with hiring manager group 1 but was not given an offer, initial call interview with hiring manager group 2, and round two in-person interviews with hiring manager group 2 and two colleagues each individually.

Everyone was friendly and asked standard questions about my background.

Interview Questions
    Tried to negotiate but the company would not submit a new offer.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

After the first step of submitting the application form, I was invited to a Google chat. The questions were a mix of the typical ones such as ''Why Consulting?'', ''Tell me about FactSet?'', etc and some more targeted to the position such as favourite part of the Finance world, why; difference between Investment Management and IB; You need to know a lot about the company because after the typical question about clients they asked you to explain what kind of their products would be used by the different clients and how their software would help the professionals. It will also be useful to read through the annual report in order to answer questions about their competitors.
    If you were successful with the interview they send you 3 tests- numerical, financial markets and an Excel one. The numerical- pretty easy, financial markets- easy for people with genuine interest in the financial world, the Excel test- not too complicated, but it's a weird online version which does not allow you to do a lot while using the programme, I found that irritating. After you complete these, they send you another Excel test, again not difficult, you download it so it's a normal version, the pressure is the time.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favourite part of Finance? (It was tricky for me since I could not say that there is anything in particular that I am crazy about.)   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at FactSet.

Was referred by a friend inside the company. After being referred, I promptly received a phone call to discuss my general experience. Next I was flown out to my city of choice. In person interview consisted of 4 15-minute question sessions with employees. Many of the questions were redundant. Mostly personality and experienced based. One brain-teaser and one excel problem.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gamé (Togo)
    Anonymous Employee in Gamé (Togo)

I interviewed online - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

academic background, reason for resignation, previous working experience , career goal, motivation, open question and answer... you name it as you want. interview online and then onsite with the manager. just need to talk and let him know you. that is all and no more

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!