Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.1

Associate (Cashier) Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in March 2014.

First you have to go on-line to do your app. They are pretty progressive as far as being paperless. They do a background check. I personally had to stay committed to keeping my name as a familiar. It took over 3 weeks before any actions were taken. After a drug screening and interview in a make shift office I was hired. That process was over a month long.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much as a question but a statement to the effects of ...."DON'T STEAL" !!   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2011.

pretty basic put app n call n for interview with DM if they like u will offer a job on spot if they say they will call they wont. Pretty straight forward.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Visalia, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Visalia, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

I came in 15 minutes early and after about 5 minutes the manager finally shook my hand and took me to the interview room. He seemed a bit preoccupied since only 2 people work in the store at a time. The interview went great, although the interviewer was hard to understand on occasion. He asked me tons of questions that weren't even on the question sheet. It was like having a conversation with your friend. We talked about both liking art and tons of tangents. My interview went so well (i thought), it extended into someone else's interview time slot. The manager told me he had more interviews, but would be calling me in for a second interview the next day. I shook his hand and we walked out then he greeted the other interviewee. I waited and never got a call back. Called back for follow up a week or so later and he said they were still determining the position.

Interview Questions
    • He asked me about certain things I knew how to do, like set up displays and displaying merchandise, but used technical terms I didn't understand. Once they were defined I told him I could do all the tasks asked.
      Why do you want to work for family dollar?
        Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2014.

I applied online and a few days later I got called for an interview. The women who called me for the interview didn't even show up. I interviewed with another person that was there and it went great, loved talking to her. She told me she would try to get a hold of the original people that where supposed to interview me and get back to me. I never heard anything from anyone of them again.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Midlothian, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midlothian, IL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2014.

Waste of time. I applied for the job because the description just stated customer service experience, which I have over 10 years of. I got called in for an interview a few days later and was told that she couldn't continue the process because I didn't have management experience. Can you please tell me why you called me then?

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores.

They were having in-store interviews and I met with the manger and the training manger. They were both very friendly and made the interview a comfortable experience. I was contacted the next day and set up another interview with the DM a week later. She asked more in-depth, career oriented questions. Again a positive experience.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2014.

I applied online. I was called by the district manager two days later to schedule an interview for the next day. The interview was very thorough as far as the job description. The questions were not tricky, they were expected. Interview went well and lasted about 45 minutes. I was then contacted by the human resources manager for a phone interview which lasted about 25 minutes. She again went over the job description very thoroughly, her questions were also not tricky. I was again contacted by the district manager and he again went over the details of the job and what is expected and entailed, he then offered me what I felt was a fair salary for a 52-hour work week.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. I have been in retail for a long time and I did not get any questions that I felt were unreasonable or tricky.   View Answer
    I may have been able to negotiate but did not because I felt the offer was fair.

Temporary Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jamaica, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2014.

I filled out the application on the family dollar website, for a new store that was opening up not too far from my home. I received a call back about a week and a half later from a manager of another store who was conducting interviews, since the store I applied to had not opened up yet. I was asked to come in for an interview the next day, and the process was very simple. The manager who conducted my interview was very nice and did not ask me many questions. She was more interested in explaining to me the details of the position and in my availability. The whole process lasted about 5 minutes, and afterwords she told me that I would be receiving a call from another manager to bring in my State ID and my social security card. I was also asked to take a drug test within the next 24 hours. Unfortunately, even tho I successfully completed and passed my drug test, I never received that secondary call to bring in my information. Even after several attempts to get in contact with the manager that interviewed me, I was unable to reach her and thus missed the starting date for the position.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manchester, NH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in October 2011.

For me this was actually a very rare occurrence, because I applied and it only took them two weeks to get me hired and put into the system. I say it's rare because now that it's been almost three years since, I've noticed that now it averages about 4-6 weeks just for that to happen. Interview was easy and basic. The manager made me feel very relaxed and he told me the run down on how everything works. If you get an interview, you almost always get the job at FD.

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult, but if I had to choose one, I'd have to say: Why do you want to work at Family Dollar?   Answer Question
    Ask for a HIGHER amount than what you think you deserve because if they talk you down to a lower number you will at least get what you deserve.

Store Manager Interview

Very Complicated needed to finish online first, which never seemed to work properly. Anywhere from error messages to kept getting disconnected from server no matter what system I used. Their in store systems to hire staff are so out date and slow (seemed slower than dial up) that it makes almost impossible for anyone to finish the application process.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process seemed very unprofessional and lacking substance.   Answer Question

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!