Farmers Automobile Insurance

26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Representative Interview

Denver, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance.

Interview Details I applied from an online website. It was advertised as being a new local recruiting effort, but I got called from a person in another state. I showed up to my interview with the name of who I was interviewing with and no one knew what I was talking about.

When I was seated at the conference table a different person showed up (the local regional director). I did not understand the connection until the end of the interview.

The interview itself was informative and straightforward. There was a lot of push on the "earning potential" (which always raises red flags for me), however, I do my research and decide if this is worth taking the chance.

Despite many negative reviews, it seems that my regional director tries to be as transparent as possible. I appreciate this and plan to take the next steps.

Interview Question – There wasn't really a hard question to answer, but I was surprised by the response he had to one of mine. He asked how long I had been wanting to work in the insurance business and I told him that this was something of a whim. I said that I don't work nine to five as well as I should, that I want a business opportunity that keeps me from having a boss, and that I like to set my own pace.

He shared his start up story and related to hating to being terminated and wanting to not have that any more. He described a time of hitting his head against a wall and just applying for this along with a number of other jobs. This was not special at first and I appreciated his candid response.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no pay to negotiate. I get what I earn in commission only, and after I have paid for the license and other aspects of doing the job.

Monrovia, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in May 2010.

Interview Details Questions were behavioral questions.

Interview Question – They would follow up on my answers   Answer Question

Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in June 2008.

Interview Details There was an initial phone screening with an HR representative. Then they asked me to come in to the office to take a skills test and a personality test. Then they asked me to come back for an interview/information session.

Several other candidates were present during the information session, which included a brief introduction from a senior manager and introductions to the supervisor team. Then, there was a brief tour of the facility. Next, they brought the candidates individually into a room with a few supervisors and managers, where they asked behavioral questions and questions about the resume. Then they rotated me to another room, where a different set of supervisors and managers asked similar questions.

Interview Question – Name a time when you were asked to do something, but failed to complete the task. What led you to fail, and what do you think you can do to prevent this from happening in the future?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This was an entry-level job that required no special skill set, so there was no room for negotiation. If a job is offered, a salary offer is made that can be accepted or rejected.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Liability Claims Representative
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in May 2012.

Interview Details Typical insurance interview. Passed all test and initial phobe screening but did not make the cut for the in perdon interview. Seemed like they are very selective.

Med/PIP Claims Representative Interview

Novi, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in March 2012.

Interview Details I applied online for the position, and I was contacted via email a couple of days later by a regional HR rep. I had to first complete a pre-employment intelligence test that consisted of 3 parts. 1) A policy component. Basically read through examples of a hypothetical company's policies and then answer questions based on what you would do in different situations based on policy 2) A grammer section which resembled something you might see on a SAT/GMAT test. 3) A math component (mostly basic algebra, percentages, fractions). Overall, a fairly easy test, but you may want to brush up on some basic math stuff if it's been a while. Along with the intelligence test, there was also a 10 minute personality test, where you mostly just pick what adjectives describe you and your ideal work environment.

After passing the tests, the regional HR rep sent me an email setting up an initial phone screen. Interview was pretty basic. She started off describing the position in more detail (positional requirements, salary -42k/yr, hrs 830-5 M-F), as well as asking why I was interested and other basic interview questions. She then had 3 behavioral based questions, which is what they use for most of their on-site interviews. For those unfamiliar, it's basically them asking you a question like, "describe when you had to balance multiple tasks to meet deadlines successfully." And they emphasize that you give very specific examples of the situation and specific steps of action you took to achieve your result. She told me I did an excellent job at giving detailed responses and invited me to set up an on-site panel interview at the local office.

This is where my experience turned negative. I was scheduled to interview on-site at 11:00 AM, but they were running quite behind and I didn't get into the interview room until about 11:40. After being introduced to the rest of the panel, they apologized for running behind, so they were "going to have to hurry through this to catch up." Asked me the basic "tell me about yourself" then asked me a series of 5 behavioral based questions similar to what the HR rep had asked on the phone. After the third question, one of the panelists stopped taking notes on my answers and just sat there looking bored. I thought it was pretty rude. Even if you weren't satisfied with my answers, I think she should have at least pretended to seem somewhat interested and at least doodled on the paper lol. At the end of the interview, the panelist refused to give me a card with her information, so I could follow up with her. Thought that was quite peculiar as well. Anyway the other two panelists were at least much more respectful. I'm not really sure what happened with the entire situation. Probably wasn't my best interview, but I felt I wasn't given a very fair shot either. Hope others have better luck. They did send me an email a few days later thanking me for coming in, but they were going in a different direction.

Interview Questions

• "Describe a time when knowing your organizational's culture helped you work out a positive solution" - only one that really caught me a little off guard   Answer Question
  • Practice basic customer service, time management, communication questions and you'll be fine. Easy to find with basic google search   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster

The process took a day - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in January 2010.

Interview Details Brief phone interview, scheduled interview on location. Three people interviewed me together asking more about my resume. Took a typing test. They called a few days later and offered me the job. I wouldn’t recommend you apply for this position unless you like denying medical claims and sitting at a desk all day.

Interview Questions

• Share an experience of when you've had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
  • Share an example of coflict resolution..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's pretty much a flat starting salary but you could try...I was happy with what they offered.

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Portland, OR (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in January 2012.

Interview Details The office was friendly but seemed a little unorganized and overcapacity. The interview was more informative about the company with very few questions about my skill. Seemed like a pitch to come was an insurance salesman, lots of money promised and not much by way of professional development.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for famrers   Answer Question

Estimate In Hand Interview

Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in September 2011.

Interview Details I went in for a 1 on 1 interview and a typing test, then went to a "Group" interview, which consisted of me and 1 other person. Then I got asked scenario based questions, after which I looked over the shoulder of someone doing their job. Overall, it was degrating and humiliating and a waste of time. I've never been through something so unorganized and clearly they were scrambling to do their jobs, let alone interview people. The interviewers tried to act more important than they are, which is a sure sign of ineptitude in a manager and a red flag for all interviewees.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to make a difficult decision   View Answer

Reason for Declining – It's one of those jobs where they try to make it seem better than it is. I mean come on, a group interview? I turned it down because it was a sham - the position is pathetic as a child could do it and the people are fat losers. Plus, Janet Alenhoffen (the recruiter) is a b#$&^ who has no idea about life, let alone what she's doing. I couldn't stop laughing at her during the interview. Lol, I am laughing just thinking about her.

Claims Office Specialist Interview

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in September 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and was contacted 2 days later by a recruiter. She then explained the next step in the process. She sent emails to me with links to a personality test, mini IQ test (mathematics and grammar), online typing test, and a times management module. The module gave various tasks of listening to voicemail, checking email, and answering math problems. It was all pretty stressful but I passed everything. With regards to the IQ test, study wonderlic questions and brush up on fractions and percents. Some of the vocabulary was basic spelling and some was matching.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to say no to a customer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was asked to come for a 1:1 interview but after doing more research regarding the position, chose not to.

Claims Representative Subrogation Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in May 2011.

Interview Details Received an email stating I was being considered for position and asked that a phone interview be set up. After phone interview, I was asked to take an online skills test. After this I was asked to meet with two people for an interview. I completed this process and was then asked to meet with the head of the department for a one on one interview. After this interview I was asked to sit with two employees to observe the work the office did. I was told I was one of five people being considered for two positions.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry customer   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Farmers Automobile Insurance

Worked for Farmers Automobile Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Farmers Automobile Insurance interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Farmers Automobile Insurance employees and interview candidates.