Federal Government Interview Questions

Updated 23 Oct 2014
Updated 23 Oct 2014

2.8

Policy Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Federal Government.

I applied for an internship on usajobs.gov. I was called in for an interview. The process included having to hand-write write a timed essay. I later met with two senior officials. I was made an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize your work? Describe how you procrastinate, because we all do it.   View Answer

Material Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Federal Government.

HIRED THORUGH RECRUITER, ASKEN QUESTIONS ON BACKGROUND, DRUG USE, WHAT TYPE OF JOB LOOKING FOR.We're committed to protecting our community from fraudulent submissions that might affect our ratings and reviews.

GOT ORDERS

Web Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Government.

Wouldn't try unless you're a U.S. military veteran. I have zero colleagues who got hired who are not vets. Process is straightforward. Of the vets the highest qualified is hired. All things being equal the highest qualified with what's perceived as a good personality is hired. So stay upbeat and positive during interview.

Interview Questions
    • No surprises. All questions are canned: "Tell me a time when ...." Make sure you resume answers all questions because typically specific skill-related questions are not asked. It's presumed you're qualified if you get an interview.   Answer Question
    Based on salary history. If you're a fed transfering there is little negotiation. If you're coming from the outside you might be able to negotiate a few steps, but not grades. Also, do not negotiate work/life until you're on board. Generally, work/life is excellent, so bringing it up during the interview or offer period might impact you getting the job. Or at the very least leave a bad taste in the hiring official's mouht.

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Government.

Very grueling. The interview was short and sweet. the initial paperwork and battery of tests took about 8+ hours per day for 3-4 days. Then you get sworn in and issued a badge. Back ground check took weeks. classroom training took about a week and on the job training took several months. Then you get to bid as the lowest seniority person for a shift (Maybe only part time) , and for your days off and work area.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question in the interview.   View Answer
    no. Everything is regulated by the Government, and written in stone.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Government.

The hiring process varies depending on which federal agency or department you work for--and if you have prior government or military experience. USA JOBS the portal / website where all federal opportunities are posted. Although specific organizations also post jobs on their specific websites. Be aware of the window for the application. And also note your application is flagged if either you are too senior or too junior for a position.

Counselor/Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Government.

I found the job online. After searching through several contacts, I luckily found someone that could help me craft a great resume. My best advice is to look into the department you want to work in and find someone already there. Online makes it very easy.

Interview Questions
    • I was hired off my resume and experience. No interview was needed.   Answer Question
    None. It is a pay scale.

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Federal Government in May 2014.

One interview but was in panel, Did a phone interview then sit down interview with a panel of military personnel. Had to do a clearance review, drug test and family history.

Interview Questions
    • What can you do to improve our mission   View Answer

Had worked for them so long would like to work in Private industrial area.

Procurement Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Government.

Be open, polite and yourself. Be honest.

Salary is pre-set in government.

Production Controller Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Government.

I was initially hired after the first interview and worked in my first crew but did not adjust too well there and was sent to another crew. With each position change I had to reinterview and that was okay. I had three different bosses. For the most part the people were okay. My interview questions were never more than about ten questions and usually range from safety to what would I do in the case of an emergency or if I saw an unsafe act. If you see an unsafe act Stop it immediately and go tell someone about it...

Interview Questions
    • There really event any difficult questions during the interview because they are mostly pertaining to things you already know but they may throw something out there like what is an MSDS and where is it located? (btw, its a Material Safety Data sheet and its almost always located in a hallway or near the manager's office)   Answer Question
    there wasn't one. It was pretty cut and dry

Senior Operations Leader Interview

It is mainly done by recruiting

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a degree or are you a holder of a violation   Answer Question