GEICO Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.2

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

I am blown away by the extensive process for interviwing for this position. Apparently GEICO makes about a $120,000 investment in each adjuster trainee they hire, so they don't play around (nor should they). I work in insurance at the moment (sales side for another carrier) and applied on line in August. About 2 weeks after I applied online, I got a call from the local manager and had a short 5-10 minute phone interview, basically explaining the position more than getting to know me. I showed up 3 days later for the "blocks" and reading comprehension test. This is REALLY not hard if you have common sense. You get a work sheet that has different 3-D images of blocks stacked on top of each other and you have to note how many blocks each block is touching. You need to go quickly through this, but be accurate. The woman beside me did maybe 4-5 images to my 10 and didn't make it through. Next was a hand out that had about 5-6 different short essays on topics. You read the essay and answer general comprehension questions. SUPER easy, no tricks on it. Just get through it quickly and correctly. Seriously, this was 9-10th grade level skills.

That was the 1st step. After that I moved on to the one on one interview. Very standard interview questions that GEICO establishes. Tell me about a time you had an upset customer, etc. No surprises or curveballs.

The toughest and hardest part was the dreaded role play. That is what is designed to get rid of any weak links or people who fluffed through the initial parts. You will get 30 minutes to listen to a cassette tape (yes you red that right) that gives you guidelines for your role as a fictional adjuster for a company. There is also a big packet of templates on the side as well as a typed out transcription of the tape. 1st, after you look at the "templates", place them out of your way. I got tripped up because I thoughtI would need them later (all but the maps and directional grids and one check). The role play is such that after you listen to the tape, you will get a sheet with 5 different incidents and the order/time in which they will come up and materials to help you. Go slow, just breathe. I think the first one was someone who came in a defective piece of equipment that you are evaluating. Be sure to remember that there is damage on the item already and you won't be able to fix the pre existing damage. It is key to ask the person how the damage happened so you can prove you are being profitable. There is a section about mapping your appointments for the day which is pretty fool proof. The two hard parts are negotiating with a mechanic in person and a company rep on the phone. In one of the scanarios the damage is above the value so you have to explain the piece is a total loss and the client gets upset. The other part is negotiating the "surly, rough around the edges" mechanic by discussing new vs used parts, labour charges, etc.

The role play is pretty exhausting. I'm not going to lie. It is rough. You don't have much time and you have SO MUCH PAPER everywhere. SO MUCH. It is tough to stay organized. They do collect all your materials so keep calm. If you aren't great at time management and thinking on your feet, this job isn't for you so don't waste a month of your life on the interview.

After that was a phone interview with a corporate recruiter (which was my 1st interaction with corporate) which was straight forwarded. Basically, they are making sure you aren't psycho :).

Interview Questions
    • I was confused a couple times because the questions would be rather industry specific despite having no background. For instance, there is a question about what would you do if you were supposed to be under 22 labor hours per month (and you are at 21) but your coworkers are at 19? The interviewer was very nice and said that GEICO is an open door company and you can always review your productivity with your manager and ask for any ideas on streamlining your performance.   Answer Question
    Pretty straight forward. You don't negotiate. You get a lower training pay while you are in AD school and after that you go to your base in the low to mid 40s with almost guaranteed raises.

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

The hiring process is 5 steps. Initial phone interview where a recruiter mainly goes over the job details and description and asks a couple of questions confirming your resume details. This is essentially to feel out your interest for the job, lasts about 15 minutes. They then send you a link to do an online reading comprehension assessment and spatial recognition exam. If you pass they schedule a 2nd phone interview. The second phone interview is 30-45 minutes and goes in depth into your resume and job history. They ask typical interview questions, such as "describe a time when you've dealt with a difficult customer" and some specific to the job, such as "say that you wrote an estimate to repair a car door and put 6 labor hours on the estimate, which is the standard labor hours. A body shop manager approaches you and says you are cheating your customer out of a good repair because they need 9 hours to repair the door. What would you say?" etc. They are essentially looking for you to tell them how you would negotiate on the labor hours. If you do well in the 2nd phone interview, they then schedule you at a local express repair location for a role play interview. The role play interview is very in depth and not like any interview I've ever done. You are given 30 minutes plus an additional 5 minutes to go over their provided materials. It's a 20 page packet of papers with instructions, and they have a CD playing along with someone reading what's written in the instructions verbatim that lasts 30 minutes. You're also given other paperwork like fake estimating forms, a town map, a schedule to fill out, and blank checks. Essentially you are a rep for an imaginary equipment repair company and the instructions outline your job duties, how to help customers by explaining the claims process, and how to negotiate with the repair reps. Then they give you fake claims folders and you get to work. They call you on the phone twice, have you call someone once, and have a "customer" come to your "office" and have a "repair rep" come to your "office". One customer and one repair rep scenario they are easy to deal with, and one customer and one repair rep scenario they are more difficult to deal with. As long as you are courteous, call them by their fake names, answer their questions nicely and as accurately as you remember, and negotiate in some way with all the repair reps, you will be fine. The role play might sound a little ridiculous, but if you aren't able to handle most of what they are trying to act out with you, you are not suited to do this job. It's pretty fair of them to go through something like this considering they are going to be investing a huge chunk of company time and money to get you through 3 months of full time paid training. If you pass the role play, they will either schedule you for an interview with a manager when they're available, or have you do the interview right away if a manager's there. That final interview is pretty similar to the 2nd phone interview, but in person. If you get the job, you have to fill out paperwork for a background and credit check, motor vehicle record (to drive company vehicles) and then go for a drug test (hair test) and physical within 72 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Are you ok with going to bad parts of town to do this job?   Answer Question

Auto Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

Applied 3weeks ago and just went true phone interview. Process take long time. Have to go thru phone interview, skill test, another phone interview, then (if you good) they'll have face to face and role playing interview. After that they'll give you an offer and if you accept, they put you true background check. So if you applied...At least 4 weeks waiting

Interview Questions
    • How you manage time and prioritize? They give you four tasks with driving calling emailing an filing claim. all in 15 min   Answer Question

Management Development Program, Claims Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fredericksburg, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at GEICO in January 2013.

It was a good experience, but they are nicer to you while in the hiring phase. The position I applied for and got was nothing like they described in the interview process. They sugar-coat things and had I known what I was getting myself into, I would not have accepted the job.

Interview Questions
    Very easy, piece of cake

Management Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Applied online, received a call from recruiter within a week. 2 phone interviews. Recruiter rescheduled the first interview an hour after it was actually scheduled. My time was wasted. Then, for the rescheduled interview, the recruiter did not call until 3 hrs after the interview, so again I was waiting around. I was more than qualified for this position, yet I know I did not move forward because I called the recruiter out for the lack of customer service that I would expect from any company.

Management Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Katy, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at GEICO in August 2014.

Applied online for Claims Service Rep, did the phone interview which was about 10 min. She asked if I graduated from college, and my answer was yes, so she told me that I could qualify for the Manger Development program. I became excited! The first four assessment for the Manager Development program was easy, mostly because I've taken several like this before and if you have any computer knowledge and skills (multi-tasking) then you will do well. The MOCK PHONE call is the hardest part, what really seemed easy to me because my current job is a call center rep, was graded the HARDEST. Which I don't get, because they are well aware that you clearly don't know the first thing about insurance and what to expect but whatever they were looking for they didn't find. After 5 hours of what seemed like the light to the end of the tunnel was complete BULL. They make you wait all that time just to tell you no! Be prepared for your time to be wasted and to feel as though you are un-trainable and incapable of doing a function that a computer robot could do if trained! You will be interviewed by people who have probably never done the job that you've done and who clearly have no regards to your time and feelings.

Interview Questions
    • "After all of the test, how do you feel about this job?"   Answer Question

Claims Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at GEICO in July 2014.

I first received a phone interview which went really well, the man on the phone was super nice and easy to talk to. He asked questions like why GEICO? He started off with I have some good news and bad news. First the bad news you weren't chosen for Customer Representative. Now the good news we have decided you would be best as a Claims Representative, or in Sales, which would you be interested in? Then he asked, if I would be wiling to work holidays. Then he tells me the different shifts they work, and then he asked me which one I'm most interested in. He asks, if I'm willing to work weekends. Then he tells you the salary and asked if that's ok. Then he tells you if you want you can interview that afternoon if your ready, or you can come in the next day and he gives you the 3 different interview shifts and ask which one would you like. You pick one, he puts you down for that, and then he tells you that you will receive an email from them shortly with what you need to bring, etc. The next day when I went in for the interview the security guard issued me into the HR department. HR gives you a brochure to read about the company and then they ask your several questions on the brochure. HR gives a typing test which is super easy to pass. They also give you a test where you have to decide which department of claims to put the call in, person's name, customer number, city & state, zip code, etc. If you do not do this correctly or fast enough you don't make it to the other 4 parts of the testing. I passed the typing test, but not pass the second part of the testing.

Interview Questions
    • I only did the phone interview and I did not find that unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GEICO in January 2014.

I applied online through Indeed.com. The recruiter called me to set up a phone interview. She asked scripted questions and typed my answers. They were mostly questions about my leadership expereince. She called back to set up an in-person interview. The day I came in for that, I had to take a few computer-based tests and then interviewed with the program director and a manager. They asked more questions about my leadership experience.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. All interns make the same.

Auto Damage Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Honolulu, HI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

*First stage pre-screen phone interview

*Second stage- Assessment test, includes
    1) Reading comprehension. Read paragraphs,answer questions
    2) Spacial recognition. Cubes with numbered sections (picture a numbered rubics cube), how many blocks touch one particular block.
    Very short time frame, most likely won't answer all questions. Be quick and accurate.

*Third stage- Another phone or face to face interview with regional manager.

*Fourth stage- Role play interview. This is the make or break stage. Consisted of:
    1)Writing an estimate
    2)Scheduling your visits using a map and time estimates
    3)Negotiating repair estimates from repair facilities
    4)Filling out an information form
    5)Dealing with upset customers

Interview Questions
    • What are your experiences with customers interaction?   View Answer
    • What are your negotiating skills?   View Answer
    • Why do you think you're a fit for the position?   View Answer

Auto Damage Field Adjuster Interview

Waste of time. Passed phone interview. Passed personality test and depth perception exam. Was asked to submit transcripts. Was strung along for three weeks to receive a generic rejection letter. Lame.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you had a difficult customer and what you did to resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!