Gander Mountain Interview Questions

Updated 10 Apr 2015

2.1

Receiving Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cicero, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Cicero, NY (US)).

Interview

Two interview phase. First interview with assistant manager, then second interview with supervisor and store manager. Set list of questions only one based off of personal interest in store genera of work. then drug test same day.

Interview Questions

• Refer to previous jobs and most challenging situations   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negotiate pay grade.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain.

Interview

1 interview, long waiting period, very basic questions during interview. If you apply online you really have to do some follow up work. I applied then had to wait almost a week before I called them and asked them if they had a chance to view my application.

Interview Questions

• be prepared to answer why you want to work in outdoor sporting goods   Answer Question

Zone Supervisor- Fishing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dickson City, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Dickson City, PA (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about a week later. Had an interview with the hardlines manager. The interview with him was more a conversantional interview. That was immediately followed with the soft lines manager asking the situational questions (explain a time type). Then they had me sit down with the store manager that al so had a conversation interview with me.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you mange multiple tasks at once.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in July 2014.

Interview

It was pretty simple. I went into the store and just happened to meet with the manager on the sales floor. He told me I needed to fill out an online application, which I did, and they called me that day. It was only one interview with my immediate supervisor.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard for a retail job. There was nothing really difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was negotiation. Everyone starts at the same rate.

Receiving Supervisor Interview

Interview

They will call you for an interview, then if they like you, you will have a second with the store manager. From there you would go for your background and drug test. If you pass then you have two days of computer training to get done before you are allowed on the floor.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Novi, MI (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

I was called and the interview was set up for a few days later. The interview was short and sweet. Seems to me they are desperate to get people in there. Was offered the job immediately. Interviewer was very nice and comfortable to be around.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Basic interview questions like "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer."   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told that with my experience the most she could offer was 8.50.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2014.

Interview

Recruiter was great. Very positive and informed. Asked basic management questions and let me know how process should work. District manager called as recruiter said he would but was obviously not into the process at all. Passed me off to a store manager which did not make since when I was a store manager applying for a store manager position? The store manager asked basic questions and wrote down about 4 things? Not in to it either? I had to keep on them to get the rejection notice.. Apparently my 20 years very successful big box (larger than theirs) was not appealing to them? Should have listened to my hunting buddies who said they stink:)

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2014.

Interview

There were two interviews. The first was with the department manager and the second was with the store manager. They basically asked questions about what I had done in the past and what my availability was.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to adjust to a change in direction.   1 Answer

Fishing Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Chute, WI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Grand Chute, WI (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online on a Monday night and got a call the next day to set up the interview, I decided on that Thursday. When I got there, the front desk was very nice and called the manager to let him know I was there. Went into his office and talked about why I wanted to work there and about my previous jobs. He then called in an associate to do another interview with me. That associate was going to have another come in but she was busy with a customer so that was the end of the interview process. It was a very calm process that lasted maybe at most 20 minuets.

Interview Questions

• What was my most difficult time handling tasks and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain.

Interview

I was called and given the date of my interview. I sat in front of a manager level employee and was asked 4-6 questions. All questions can be found by reading past interviews on this site. I was entirely prepared for the interview thanks to this website.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something you did outdoors and what equipment did you use?   1 Answer
    • What's your most memorable outdoors experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was hired on the spot. They claimed there were a lot of people that applied and were denied but I doubt it. I did really well in my interview but I know of many employees who had mediocre interviews and still got hired on the spot.