Gander Mountain

Updated 11 Dec 2014
Updated 11 Dec 2014

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in June 2014.

I was called and the interview was set up for a few days later. The interview was short and sweet. Seems to me they are desperate to get people in there. Was offered the job immediately. Interviewer was very nice and comfortable to be around.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Basic interview questions like "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer."   Answer Question
    I was told that with my experience the most she could offer was 8.50.

Store Manager In Training Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2014.

Recruiter was great. Very positive and informed. Asked basic management questions and let me know how process should work. District manager called as recruiter said he would but was obviously not into the process at all. Passed me off to a store manager which did not make since when I was a store manager applying for a store manager position? The store manager asked basic questions and wrote down about 4 things? Not in to it either? I had to keep on them to get the rejection notice.. Apparently my 20 years very successful big box (larger than theirs) was not appealing to them? Should have listened to my hunting buddies who said they stink:)

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2014.

There were two interviews. The first was with the department manager and the second was with the store manager. They basically asked questions about what I had done in the past and what my availability was.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to adjust to a change in direction.   View Answer

Fishing Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Chute, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Chute, WI (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2014.

I applied online on a Monday night and got a call the next day to set up the interview, I decided on that Thursday. When I got there, the front desk was very nice and called the manager to let him know I was there. Went into his office and talked about why I wanted to work there and about my previous jobs. He then called in an associate to do another interview with me. That associate was going to have another come in but she was busy with a customer so that was the end of the interview process. It was a very calm process that lasted maybe at most 20 minuets.

Interview Questions
    • What was my most difficult time handling tasks and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain.

I was called and given the date of my interview. I sat in front of a manager level employee and was asked 4-6 questions. All questions can be found by reading past interviews on this site. I was entirely prepared for the interview thanks to this website.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us something you did outdoors and what equipment did you use?   View Answer
    • What's your most memorable outdoors experience?   View Answer
    I was hired on the spot. They claimed there were a lot of people that applied and were denied but I doubt it. I did really well in my interview but I know of many employees who had mediocre interviews and still got hired on the spot.

Fishing Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in October 2013.

I filled out an on-line application, was called 3 days after for an interview. The interview was very casual, more of a conversation. It was a mass hiring event for a new store so I was offered a position on the spot, filled out some HR paperwork and received a schedule for training and an address to take a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, basically just an evaluation to see if your interests and experience would benefit the company   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Base pay plus commission.

Firearms Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Gander Mountain in September 2013.

Went well. Easy. No hard questions. Standard interview, standard application process. asked background what qualifications you had product knowledge retail experience sales experience strengths weaknesses expectations work environment training process drug test paperwork

Interview Questions
    None. Take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gander Mountain in September 2013.

There is a brand new store opening here Nov '13 and I applied online. It took 2 months to hear back, but UI got an interview. I was called and I set up an appointment. The interview lasted 10 minutes tops. It was a very relaxed environment. I felt overdressed in my dress shirt and tie. The interview lasted maybe 10-15 minutes tops. I was told I would hear back by the end of last week and heard nothing.

Manager Interview

The interview process was brief. I had an interview scheduled and waited for over an hour to meet with a manager. Afterwords, I would be contacted by another manager to inform me that it would be a couple of weeks to for them to screen the other candidates. I was offered the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How many Gander Mountain stores are there? An obvious question but a good one.   Answer Question

Firearm Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2013.

Interview is pretty brief, you will be seated with a manager and they will ask you a few questions regarding your knowledge of customer service and what your past experiences in the field were and how you approach different situations, it's pretty basic and easy. I applied for a position in the hunting department and there was a written test involved which was also rather easy.

Interview Questions
    • For firearm/hunting associates, there is a written test on your knowledge of the department. It's about 3-4 pages long and asks you basic questions about types of firearms, optics, and different calibers suitable for hunting certain animals.   Answer Question