Garmin

40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in March 2014.

Interview Details They sent me an email asking for a transcript and a phone interview with an HR person. The interview was supposed to be between half an hour to an hour.

Interview Question – There were no technical questions - just standard interview questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied in-person and interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details Applied online and was contacted for part time job.

Interview Question – 50% was behavior and the other 50% was about the programming with C++ and data structures.   Answer Question

Olathe, KS (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Interview Details Talked to a recruiter at the University career fair. Then had a phone interview mainly focused on my resume and past projects. From there I was brought onsite for two technical interviews with their engineers.

Interview Question – Calculate a moving average that considers the last N values. Then discuss handle incoming data. Consider time and memory complexity.   View Answer

Olathe, KS (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Garmin in September 2012.

Interview Details 30 min HR interview followed up with a 30 min test

Interview Question – They have you look at code and tell them what it does and what you could do to make the code more efficient.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I love the company very much but Kansas isn't my type of place.

Interviewed at Garmin

Interview Details Initially contacted by recruiter, exchanged multiple emails, had 2 phone interviews that seemed to be checking to see if I was indeed a human. After that all contact was cut off and I could not get a hold of my HR contact.

Interview Question – Nothing was that difficult, standard "interview questions"   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details Invited me to they're campus. Interviewed with two software engineers. Gave me a tour of the building after the interview.

Interview Question – Questions about c programming. Nothing too difficult, I was just in inexperienced at the time.   Answer Question

Diamond Bar, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details Waited about 1 week to get contacted by HR after sending in the resume. The procedure then is pretty standard, started with HR phone screening, followed by technical phone interview, and finally in-person interview.
The HR phone screening already asked some behavioral questions. The technical phone interview consists of OOP and C++ memory management questions. The on-site requires the applicant to solving a programming problem in OOP, then discussed some programming language keyword usage, and finally ended with a brain teasing question.
In overall, the HR is very effective and responsive.

Interview Question – The brain teasing question is totally not related to coding, but one might be easily get stuck in computer mindset after doing the coding problem in the front.   Answer Question

Diamond Bar, CA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Garmin.

Interview Details The first phone interview was a simple screening and gave me a chance to establish some expectations regarding the job and compensation.
The second phone interview was with the would-be manager. He is very knowledgeable and asked decent questions that allowed me to demonstrate my knowledge of software programming.
The final interview was on-site with the manager and another developer. They showed me to a room, gave me a set of programming objectives, and sat me down in front of a laptop. This is probably the best and most effective way to demonstrate me knowledge of programming. I was comfortable the entire time and really enjoyed the task they gave me. Roughly after half an hour they came back in and put my code up on a projector where we then proceeded to discuss what i had concocted. We discussed my design pattern and the finer details like initialization list, constants, threads and memory management.

Overall it was a very positive process and the team there must be a talented bunch. The technical recruiter is also very responsive and made the whole thing run smoothly.

Interview Question – What is the difference between Windows CE/Embedded and a regular Windows OS?
What is the difference between a mutex and a semaphore?
How would you use the keyword mutable (C++)?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted a competing offer. Pay was slightly below market.

Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in February 2012.

Interview Details Had initial phone screen interview, it was almost what everybody said here in glass door. Then had an onsite interview with Garmin fitness and Aviation. Fitness interview was very easy asked behavioral questions and a C program to do factorial of a number. Aviation interview was relatively hard with a puzzle and I had to explain a program which they had it in a piece of paper.

Interview Question – The puzzle was most difficult, I can't even remember what it was all about. I felt no one could answer it   Answer Question

Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in November 2012.

Interview Details Applied for a position in California through the Garmin website, was denied a position but invited to apply at their headquarters in Olathe, KS. Received an initial HR phone interview which was very basic and nothing to worry about. Mainly just normal resume review and a few basic technical questions (What is function overloading, what is a semaphore, a mutex).

A few days later I was invited to interview on-site. After a coupe weeks I flew there and interviewed with four different groups, primarily one-on-one. The interviews were not difficult, most of them starting with the manager describing their department and myself describing my background. Then we went into technical questions that were not at all challenging. I was able to solve the questions fairly quickly which left a decent amount of time at the tail end of the interview to ask some more specific questions of each interviewer as we waited for the next manager to arrive.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer, write a function that returns the number of bits in the integer that are set.   View Answers (2)
  • Two people are walking down a tunnel, they are 1/3 of the way through the tunnel when they hear a train behind them. One of the people runs back towards the entry where they started and exits the tunnel just as the train is entering. The second person runs towards the exit where they were heading and exits just as the train is exiting the tunnel.

Relative to the people how fast is the train moving and how far away was the train when they heard it?
      View Answer
Interviews for Top Jobs at Garmin

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Garmin Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by Garmin employees and interview candidates.