Genentech Interview Questions

Updated 27 Apr 2015

3.2

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Interview process is very slow. It took almost a month from phone screen to actual onsite interview Interview started at 9am and ended at 3.30. Recruiters don't get back to you immediately. Lots of Technical questions in the interview. Couple of 1on 1 interviews and a couple of group interview questions. Lengthy interview process

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Manager ?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • How did you deal with difficult people in your team ?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Started with 2 phone interviews then invited to go to San francisco for on site interviews. On site interviews were grueling. Had 11 interviews in one day and met with 14 people. Asked a lot of behavioral questions and picked apart my resume.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech in April 2015.

Interview

I had a 30-45 min phone chat with the hiring manager. He began with "Tell me about yourself" and then continued to ask more questions about which project I want to pursue. He also asked why I am pursing graduate school .There was some time left for me to ask him some questions. Manager was really nice.

Intake Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

Interview

This was a panel interview with supervisors and manager. Most were behavioral questions but was also asked why I want to be within part of the company. The questions were not unexpected, they all go into depth of Genentech's core competencies

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with repetition in this job?   1 Answer

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with HR, then another phone interview with the hiring manager, then an in-person interview lasting 1 day. The in-person interview consisted of 30 minute long interviews with the hiring manager and other individuals within the department, both other SRAs and Senior Scientists. There was also a requirement to give a presentation on recent scientific work.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure that you are committed to doing bench research long-term?   Answer Question

Senior Regulatory Affairs Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

It was a pretty grueling interview process. I was a there from 8am to 5pm in a conference room with different interviewers coming in every hour. The only breaks I had were between interviews if one ended early or the next person was late. An admin brought me lunch but there was no break to eat. Naturally the toughest interviewer was at the end, grilling me when I was exhausted and hungry. I suppose that may have been a tactic to see how I handle stress.

I was offered the job but for a regulatory associate, not Sr. Associate as I had applied for. I considered not taking it because the interview process gave a bad impression.

IT Service Desk Interview

Interview

Group interview of 40 candidates and with 20 people observing. you will be grouped into tables or maybe 10 people. As a group you will be asked to complete a set of tasks while employees walk around and observe the different groups as they work. you then get called one by one for a panel interview with 3 employees.

Interview Questions

• How do i tie my shoe lace?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

There was an initial phone screen after which I was brought in for live interviews. The phone screen consisted of a walk through my resume and some high-level discussion around why I was interested in this role in particular. It probed into my strengths. The live interviews were behavioral and focused on how I worked, with emphasis on teamwork.

Interview Questions

• Why Genentech?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you brought a team with different opinions together.   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how you transitioned to a new role and how you knew you were successful or unsuccessful?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how you've dealt with conflict at work   1 Answer
    • Give an example of when you failed at something. What did you learn?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I met the first hiring manager during a campus event and he told me he doesn't really hire international students but then I was referred to another hiring manger. This hiring manger is really awesome. I was applying for business support position so he asked me some business questions. He also asked me persona questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about addressing something that you don't want to do?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in March 2015.

Interview

It was a general phone interview, which lasted for about half an hour. They first emailed me and gave some time slots for me to choose and called me punctually.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked a few behavior questions first, followed by some basic knowledge about proteins. Pretty much related with the research that is going on in the department.   Answer Question