General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in December 2013.

Interview Details The HR of Gurgaon office of General Motors approached the college. Job profile and description was shared. CVs were submitted by interested candidates. 7 people were shortlisted on the basis of CV and personal interviews happened after a week of the shortlisted candidates. There were 2 Rounds of interviews. Technical Interview and HR interview.

Interview Question – The team you are going to work with does not have any youngsters, do you think you can fit in?   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Excellent work culture. Hiring is done through a day long interview with multiple leaders and a technical presentation to the relevant team. Interview is well thought out, carried out with certain amount of respect and dignity. The interview s relate to your ability and preparedness to carry to certain tasks and certainly not to check your bookish knowledge. Quite friendly atmosphere. Lots of background pre-interview collection of data is done.

Interview Question – What is your plan for next couple of years?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details It was very easy. They only did a 1st round interview at my schools career fair. About 4-5 weeks later I got a call with the job offer. I do not believe I was asked any technical questions. They're trying to get the overall IT department up to about 10,000 people. Right now we're at about 8,000. Unless you were with HP, IBM, Dell, or a previous contractor they only want college hires.

Interview Question – Nothing about the interview was difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The money was more than expected, so I gladly accepted.

Design Release Engineer Interview

Design Release Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Got an on-site interview right off the bat. Interviewed with about 5 other DRE's and they all wanted to hire me. They asked about my past experiences and how it'll translate into my new role

Design Release Engineer Interview

Design Release Engineer

I applied through another source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details Interview about about an hour. Asked questions from interview posted on website. Know Lominger competences and have a scenario prepared for each. STAR format with what you learned and how to apply it

Interview Question – Since I answered every question in the guide so nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details A 1-to-1 behavior interview over the phone. It's following the STAR approach typically used in behavior interviews. You need to give examples for each questions they asked. The interview lasted about an hour long.

Interview Question – "How did you deal with a difficult person?"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Assembly Line Worker
Lockport, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details Phone interview. Drug test. Physical test. Written test. (same day as physical) 2-3 paid days of video watching and important management there speak a hire class of around 20-ish, then on the job training.

Interview Question – When do we become full time employees instead of temps?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Roswell, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details Hiring Process Took around 3 weeks.
I was 1st contacted by a GM recruiter where he did a screening to see if I was qualified outside of my resume. Afterwards in 5 days I interviewed with the hiring manager in Detroit via the phone. Questions were very direct and the manager knew who/what he was looking for in a candidate. I think had a face to face via Virtual Webcam with Hiring Manager and supervisor. Both sessions were 1 hour long. Finally Hiring manager advised me a decision would be made in about 3 business days. I then got a call back in about 1 hour offering me the job. Seamless process with a great company that knew who and what they were looking for.

Interview Question – None. All standard questions for the business analyst profession.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't have to negotiate. Offer was well above my asking so I was very satisfied.

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details I got a callback from a recruiter seem to pretty impressed with me. It wasn't for a few weeks that I found out they were canceling the job. The interview probably took about fifteen minutes. He said he would give my interview to hiring manager but nothing came of it.

Interview Question – What so you know about engine controls ?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Warren, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details Meet with HR for a 30 min review of benefits and overview of the company. Switched rooms and was interviewed by two lower level managers regarding my resume and past experience (this part of the process lasted 1 hour). After this section of the interview was over, two upper level managers entered the room and asked situation questions and a number of repetitive questions that were asked by the previous managers.

Interview Question – Some of the situation questions were difficult to answer because of how general the question was.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel the job was a good fit for me after the interview.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!