General Motors Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep 2014
Updated 26 Sep 2014

2.9

Coop Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at General Motors.

Was contacted as a result of the career fair, interview was scheduled for Friday of the same week. Interview consisted of speaking with an engineer in the area of interest about experiences in which I have been able to gain experience, etc. Use the STAR system for interviews

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you didn't have all the tools to solve a problem?   Answer Question
    • When is a time when you had to overcome an obstacle to proceed forward?   Answer Question

Entry-Level Data Analytics Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

General Motors came to my school and interviewed interested students with a 3.0 GPA or above and who were about to graduate with a degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Information Technology. They were hiring for positions at their new IT innovation centers. I had two interviews. One was more behavioral and asked questions such as "what is the biggest risk you have ever taken and how did it work out?", etc. They were not very challenging and the women interviewing me was very kind and professional. My second interview (both lasted an hour) was still behavioral but had a few technical questions. It is important to keep the thoughts simple when you are answering these because they are just trying to see how you think - not a full blown answer that takes a half hour to explain. Overall they were very professional and the company seems to have a lot to offer. You can expect to hear back from them within a few weeks. I would highly recommend doing anything possible to help make yourself stand out in a positive way since they usually interview quite a bit of people for these entry-level positions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question that was asked of me was the technical question about building a table in a database. Although I knew I could answer it I was attempting to be way too detailed and technical. I would have been much better off keeping it simple and thinking it out for a little bit longer in my head.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at General Motors.

Had an initial discussion with a manager who requested that I submit my resume online.
    I posted my Resume on the company job website and I am still awaiting an interview.

Infotainment Engineer Interview

Two phone interview followed by a onsite interview. First phone interview are mainly behavioral type. Second phone interview was much challenging and I was asked about different technologies used in speech recognition. Onsite was very straight forward. Whole hiring process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was that hard. They expected me to make a presentation of one of my projects which was something new and has never been done before. Also expected me to explain one of my C programs.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

I got referred to get my resume to a hiring manager. A few weeks later, I got a phone cal for an informal interview. There was like 3 easy questions about myself and given the chance to ask for questions. It lasted for about 15 minutes Then invited for on-site interview with 2 people interviewed me. Mostly behavior questions.

Siebel Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

3 interviews from people that work above me, but in the same building. Less than 3 interviews if you do not have competition. They asked general questions to understand how I work and how others could work with me.

Interview Questions
    • The last interview and last question was a software question and they asked me to solve it.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in August 2014.

Applied online and received a phone call afterwards from a recruiter. The additional stages of the interview moved towards a face to face conversation at the location with multiple people (separate interviews with each). The visit started with an orientation type of conversation with other applicants prior to the one on one meetings. The interviewers were prepared and had all of the information I provided the recruiter...resume, references, etc. The resume was scribbled on here and there with notes they used to generate some impromptu questions. The rest of the questions were all situation based.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions, STAR approach. Be prepared with examples   Answer Question
    none

Aftersales Engineering Interview

1.submitting CV thru 3rd party job opening website
    2. receiving calls from HR and doing a short interview on the phone
    3. interviewing the line manager and HRPR
    - CV review
    - Motivation, experience, interests, future career plan, etc.
    - Job description introduction
    4. getting offer

Interview Questions
    • how satisfied would you be if you get this job offer, rank it from 0 -10   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Excellent work culture. Hiring is done through a day long interview with multiple leaders and a technical presentation to the relevant team. Interview is well thought out, carried out with certain amount of respect and dignity. The interview s relate to your ability and preparedness to carry to certain tasks and certainly not to check your bookish knowledge. Quite friendly atmosphere. Lots of background pre-interview collection of data is done.

Design Release Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at General Motors.

Got an on-site interview right off the bat. Interviewed with about 5 other DRE's and they all wanted to hire me. They asked about my past experiences and how it'll translate into my new role

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!