General Motors

Updated 26 Feb 2015
Updated 26 Feb 2015

2.8

Executive Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

I was contacted from a staffing company that recruits a lot for GM. The staffing company is based in Michigan and I am in California. First, the staffing agent emailed me asking if I was interested in an opportunity at GM. I was interested and immediately submitted me to GM to see if GM would be interested in interviewing with me. Four days later, the staffing agent informed me GM wanted to interview with me in a week. I prepared for the interview, researched the company, and made sure I was confident and serious about the interview. I went to GM for my interview on Thursday morning and by Friday afternoon, I was offered the position and I will be starting in a week.

The organization seems fun and very fast-paced. I'm excited to start working there.

Interview Questions
    The staffing company handled the salary guidelines and I am very happy with the agreed upon compensation. No negotiation needed.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

First had phone interview which consisted of questions about my resume and some situational questions. Second, had an on campus interview which followed the before mentioned structure, but they went a little deeper.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project where you approached it incorrectly. What did you do to correct it what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    No negotiation really. I was quite happy with the starting salary. Eligible for raises every 6 mos.

Finance Entry Level Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

3 Phone interviews:
    Mostly behavioral questions. The executives are very defensive about GM products.
    The interviews went great except for the one with the Finance executive. I asked her why doesn't GM offers any mini-vans and she got defensive. She wasn't happy with the question even though I thought it was a legit question.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Took about 4 weeks. I got met GM at a career fair. They scheduled an interview for the same day. and they only asked behavioral questions. About a week later I received a call and they scheduled a phone screen. Again, only behavioral questions. Then I received another call from HR. They said they want to give me an offer and I could choose between 3 locations. I had to wait few weeks to actually get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What type of people you don't like to work with?   View Answer

Sales and Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview was fairly easy. Typical behavioral questions so have those answers ready. I was contacted about my offer exactly two weeks after my interview just liked they promised. The gentleman that I interviewed with was really bland and he didn't seem like he wanted to be there which made the environment a bit akward.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you tried something that didn't work. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Production Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO (US)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

Went through staffing agent. Uploaded resume and received call immediately because of background. Set up time to do phone interview the next day. Staffing agent was very helpful...shared interview tips and what to expect.
    Face to face interview: Behavioral based questions. Looking for strong demonstration of leadership skills and definitive examples of results. Conflict resolution in union shop. Meet in separate conference rooms with department heads.
    Expectations: Rotation of shifts every 3 mos. very visible on shop floor. Center manager doesn't want to hear the problem, but you're doing about the situation. Keep management updated on his situation is progressing.

Interview Questions
    • Long interview process witn each department heads. Tell me a time you failed? What did you learn or what would you do differently? Tell me a time you dealt with team members who didn't get along? Want very concise examples that demonstrate leadership style and how you got results.
      Just stay with STAR method but paint a clear picture.

Answer Question
    Contract work (long-term)

Validation Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

I was referred by an employee, but I still had to apply online.

5 days later they wanted to set up a phone screen. The standard questions like why GM, why this role, willingness to relocate, salary expectation, brief overview of internships/coursework.

3 weeks later I was notified of an hour long video interview with 2 of the HR managers.

At the interview they told me this role was for midlevel career people, but went ahead and did the interview anyway. Bit confusing as the posting had also included entry level.

Both alternated in asking questions and wanted to see me demonstrate the STAR method, what I learnt and how I have used that knowledge in another experience. Some of the questions were tough to answer since I didn't have much experience out of school.

There were around 10 questions in total, which took up 90 minutes, more than the allotted hour. The rest of the time I got to ask questions. The interview actually lasted 2 hours and my eyes were exhausted staring at the screen for so long. I had to follow up with them a month later; they said I'll be referred to a graduate-level position.

2 months later I'm invited to another 2 hour video interview for the SAME POSITION, but with different people. Apparently the first interviewers didn't put me in the system that indicates I've gone through this stage. It was more of the same questions and they'll notify me in 'a couple of weeks'. Highly inefficient for such a big company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you shared communication with someone and had to revise it later on   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision with totally inadequate information   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to manage multiple tasks   View Answer

Treasury Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

GM hires great talent in their treasury team and is a great place to build your career. Having said that the interview process is very technical. Expect to get asked detailed valuation questions as well as other corporate finance questions. One should prepare for this interview like a banking interview

Purchasing Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

30 minute phone interview- asked about my former job duties and why did I leave. Asked if I had worked for GM before; why would I want to work there; what do I under about the job that I applied for and what do I think about GM. After the phone interview they send your resume off to the hiring manager to see if he would want to interview you.