General Motors Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep 2014
Updated 26 Sep 2014

2.9

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

HR is highly unorganized - no clear communication on interview times and whether or not there was to be an interview. The process on the day itself was very systematic and the people I met were very nice and professional. Also, throughout the process no one I met could tell me exactly which role I was recruiting for.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly difficult - standard finance technical questions.   Answer Question

BI & Data Analytics Developer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at General Motors.

Met GM at my school's career fair, interview was basic questions about my background and ability to handle certain scenarios.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Two round interview process that took place over about 3 weeks. The first interview was your basic behavioral questions, held by two recruiter managers. It took about a week to hear back that I received a second round interview. The second was much like the first, which was unexpected. I was expecting a slightly more technical interview, since I was applying for a software development position, but the questions were almost identical to the ones asked during the first round. I received an official offer over the phone about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you made the wrong decision, but overcame the issues and excelled anyway.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Mostly reviewing your resume and some STAR behavioral questions. Know your experiences and have some good stories to talk about and be detailed. The interviewers were all friendly and easy to talk to. Aside for the normal nervousness, it was very comfortable. To help me with the phone interviews, I had a sticky note of all of my past experiences that I might want to touch on. It helped

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very difficult, just some unexpected behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiating is only based on prior experience. They have a flat offer, and then bump for any professional experience you've had. Make sure you make all of your experience clear!

Java/.NET Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Started with 1 phone interview with a developer. The phone interview had a few Java basics questions, and the rest were behavioral questions. They contacted me the next day to set up an in-person interview.

The in-person interview was 2 hours long. The first interviewer was a (different) developer, and the second was the hiring manager. This interview was strictly behavioral. The questions in both interviews were almost identical.

Interview Questions

The salary they offered was much lower than industry standards. They would not negotiate.

Senior Java Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

First they emailed me stating that they want to talk to me, I gave them time. When they called me, all of sudden it was phone technical interview.They asked very very simple technical questions on phone interview. I was surprised as it was unexpected. I gave them phone interview anyway, and it was lasted 45 minutes. After 2 hours, they really liked in phone interview and they want to proceed with face to face. They scheduled day and time with me. During face to face interview, they asked 99% behavioral questions. I was surprised.

Interview Questions
    • All Behaviour question and none technical questions even though this position is Programmer position   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Met with GM at a university career fair in 2013. After the initial approach I had two interview the next day with the recruiters that were on campus. First one was strictly behavioral and the second one was a mix of behavioral and very easy technical question on programming basics.

Interview Questions
    • They were all very simple question. Like for example: write an algorithm that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Low Offer

Senior Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roswell, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

I applied twice online 100 days prior to my face-to-face interview. I received a call from a recruiter who set up a phone interview that lasted 1 hour. Then, I was called to the Roswell, GA "Innovation Center" for a video presentation, then back-to-back interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation where you had to react, and make amends. What did you learn from the situation.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at General Motors.

I initially found out about the opportunity to work for GM during a university job fair. It was one of the easier interview processes that I've been a part of. It was just a lot of situational questions. I only had one interview then I heard back several weeks later. The company seems to be trying to greatly expand their IT department over the next few years.

Software Developer Interview

Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question