General Motors Interview Questions

Updated 27 Oct 2014
Updated 27 Oct 2014

2.8

Lead Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Applied to several jobs that looked interesting over many months. Received a call back and phone interview for one, but no request for on-site interview. Finally, one of my friends got hired and with his recommendation I was contacted about a Lead Developer position. Did the phone interview. Followed up with on-site. Then an offer

Interview Questions
    • On the phone and on-site the interviewer asked several situational problem solving questions eliciting me to respond with examples from my own work experience. However, on-site they also gave me a coding test with requirements for small programs and 4 SQL statements. The requirements were simple, but more academic than real world. (I have never been paid to write a Fibonacci code generator or a Palindrome detector) Anyone who has been out of college for 20+ plus years would require at least 10 minutes per question just to dust of the cob webs, and the test had a 30 minute time limit.   Answer Question
    Did not need to negotiate as they offered me what I asked for. However, if you make it this far and they don't offer you what you asked for, I recommend you negotiate. They need a lot of good people, and if you get past their screening process you are good, and they cannot afford to screw with you over money.

Associate Creative Designer Interview

Recruited during school, brought in for interview with executive leaders, offered job on the spot. They were ready to hire based on three years of design relationship building during school. Not sure of process beyond that.

Financial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chengdu, Sichuan (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

I applied through other source – interviewed at General Motors.

I was recommended by the last intern who worked there and after submitting my cv I got the chance to do the interview, which is a group interview with other two candidates. We were asked to make a plan within budget as a group and discuss before HR and present the final result to them.

Interview Questions
    • the plan was to design a trip which aims to encourage and unite the employers through a group trip. and the most difficult one is to meet everyone's interest and make the group members feel closer.   Answer Question

the internship is at least six months but i had to go abroad and study at that time

Process Engineer Interview

callback interview after a job fair, followed by a phone interview, then a site visit and tour, then in person on site interviews, each in person interview was 3 interviews in a row with two people each time, the first round was with the engineering lead and another higher up, you will never see these people again most likely, the second round was with two people from the dept youre hiring into, like a shift lead and a busniess manager, the last round is with your hiring manager and whoever the second in charge after him

Interview Questions
    • pretty standard stuff, they follow the "star method" situation or task, action you took, results you achieved   Answer Question

Production Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in May 2014.

I applied through a co-op office and received a call for interview within a week. The 30 minute interview was conducted by 2 interviewers at the company. Interview begins with general description of the company, as well as some brief questions to assess your work elegibility. They then move on to 3 behavioural questions that are tied to the position, and must be answered in Situation-Task-Action-Result format. Conclude with a Q&A session.

Accepted another position as part of my co-op program.

Software Developer Interview

There's a phone interview, then an in person interview.

The in person interview has a few people interview you, including your hiring manager. Don't believe that is your permanent manager; my manager changed after a week, and other IT folk had their manager change only 2 weeks after hire.

Interview Questions
    • They have some weird format they want you to answer in "what did you learn". So be prepared to explain that you learned something in every difficult previous work experience.   Answer Question
    I countered, and GM said no.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI (US)

I was a freshman at the time and they hired me simply based off my resume, no hard questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time you experienced a challenge and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Fuel Cell Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Reviewed resume and asked specific questions about experience and current job situation. Reasons for leaving as well.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Applied online and it hardly took couple of business days to get a call from HR, I was asked the routine questions like if I was willing to relocate, why was I looking for a change, what I was earning at my current job e.t.c and finally what I was expecting...and they said what I requested was in the pa range and they arranged me with an telephonic interview.

I get this call and before the interviewer gets technical he explains as to what he is looking for in the potential hire.

In the technical round I was asked all sorts of questions starting from basic to all the way to the architect level..was not very sure as to why I was asked architect/Lead level questions for a "Senior Developer" position? I thought may be he was just trying to know me or something but it turned out the HR had submitted me to Lead position without even my knowledge.

It would have been better on the HR part to submit for the position that I applied and this seems to me more intentional than accidental for reasons that I can suspect.

Interview Questions
    • Questions that I was not expecting for the position that I have applied   Answer Question

Quality Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

Was given a screening call and was called for a followup interview. The screening was a technical interview (about an hour) with the followup interview being all situations that one encounters.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about time when you had to promote a unpopular decision or idea.   View Answer