General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Detroit, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details The process took over 3 months...that was the worst part of the experience. Made me really want to work there. Great interviewers...up to the last interviewer which was awkward because he was clearly not up to speed as to how long and who I had spoken to.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   Answer Question

Design Sculptor Interview

Design Sculptor
Warren, MI (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2010.

Interview Details -single interviews mostly to reveal personality and approach to problems. Group interview to address technical expertise. Group of people ask you job related questions as you present a portfolio..
Overall it was very intimidating not really knowing any of the interviewers, later I realized that they were all easy going and I was really psyching myself out.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. One person asked a question the actually betrayed their ignorance of the subject they were supposed to be judging.   View Answer
  • They ask what you would do if you thought you weren't gonna complete something on time.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Downtown sends you an email...you accept or decline. It was pretty exciting, felt very much like winning something..

Team Leader Interview

Team Leader

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at General Motors in January 2010.

Interview Details You will find that my expertise will be valuable

Interview Question – Will you work out of state   View Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Senior Java Developer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Applied online and it hardly took couple of business days to get a call from HR, I was asked the routine questions like if I was willing to relocate, why was I looking for a change, what I was earning at my current job e.t.c and finally what I was expecting...and they said what I requested was in the pa range and they arranged me with an telephonic interview.

I get this call and before the interviewer gets technical he explains as to what he is looking for in the potential hire.

In the technical round I was asked all sorts of questions starting from basic to all the way to the architect level..was not very sure as to why I was asked architect/Lead level questions for a "Senior Developer" position? I thought may be he was just trying to know me or something but it turned out the HR had submitted me to Lead position without even my knowledge.

It would have been better on the HR part to submit for the position that I applied and this seems to me more intentional than accidental for reasons that I can suspect.

Interview Question – Questions that I was not expecting for the position that I have applied   Answer Question

Quality Analyst Interview

Quality Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Was given a screening call and was called for a followup interview. The screening was a technical interview (about an hour) with the followup interview being all situations that one encounters.

Interview Question – Tell me about time when you had to promote a unpopular decision or idea.   View Answer

Production Engineer Interview

Production Engineer
Dearborn, MI (US)

I interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details It was only a phone interview and they wanted me to relocate I decided not to persue but the interview went well and was professional

Interview Question – What is your favorite vehicle.   View Answer

Co-Op Student Interview

Co-Op Student
Lansing, MI (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details I went to a co-op employment fair at my college and was interviewed by General Motors. Soon after, I began receiving emails with instructions on how to officially apply for the job online, because that needed to be done in order for GM to put me on file, or something of that nature. While doing this, however, I ran into a few problems. If I remember correctly, the automated system that I was using to apply for the job was not giving me the option to apply for the position that I was being instructed to apply for. Instead of giving up, I continued to contact the HR representative and share what troubles I was having. Eventually they just had me apply for a different position so that they could receive import credentials. I have a feeling that this was done on purpose. My thought is that the issues that I was having with applying were set up as an test of persistence, to weed out all of the people who gave up as soon as they started to have trouble. I could be completely wrong about that, but my advice is this: be persistent. Show your employer that you truly WANT the job. That advice is good for all potential employers, not just General Motors.

Interview Question – "Describe a situation where the result of your actions turned out better than what you expected."   View Answer

Digital Marketing Interview

Digital Marketing
Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Was called in for an interview after applying for a job 2 months ago. Was told ahead of time about the format which was going to be incredibly formal with a series of pre-approved questions from HR for the first round. After this initial in person interview, it took another month before I received a phone call from someone in HR at a US based office. They informed me I was a finalist and verified some of my information. Yet another month later, was informed they were not pursuing my candidacy after all. Overall, the process was very confusing and time consuming - seems like there is a big disconnect between hiring departments.

Interview Question – All the questions were scenario based so be prepared with examples - however, the one that got me in particular was about a task that had failed or gone wrong and how it was dealt with. I gave an scenario that was team based and they specifically needed a personal failure. Not to toot my own horn but I struggled to give an example where I alone failed in a situation.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details Mostly reviewing your resume and some STAR behavioral questions. Know your experiences and have some good stories to talk about and be detailed. The interviewers were all friendly and easy to talk to. Aside for the normal nervousness, it was very comfortable. To help me with the phone interviews, I had a sticky note of all of my past experiences that I might want to touch on. It helped

Interview Question – Nothing was very difficult, just some unexpected behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating is only based on prior experience. They have a flat offer, and then bump for any professional experience you've had. Make sure you make all of your experience clear!

Senior Performance Engineer Interview

Senior Performance Engineer
Roswell, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied twice online 100 days prior to my face-to-face interview. I received a call from a recruiter who set up a phone interview that lasted 1 hour. Then, I was called to the Roswell, GA "Innovation Center" for a video presentation, then back-to-back interviews.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation where you had to react, and make amends. What did you learn from the situation.   View Answer