General Motors Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

2.8

Entry Level - Vehicle Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in January 2015.

Interview

Total of three interviews. Two on campus, and a site visit. The on campus interviews are usually on two consecutive days, and the site visits fallows in two weeks. First interview is with a Requiting representative and upon approval of this initial interview the second interview, a behavioral technical interview, is next. Next, the site visit will provide you an opportunity to better understand your potential work location and assignments. At the end, you would get an employment offer following the site visit.

Interview Questions

• Describe a case where your decision had dis satisfactory results for the team or people you were working with, how you handled the situation, and what you learned from it.   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors (Bloomington, IN (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very simple. They had a booth at the career fair on campus. They gave me a next day interview after talking to them at the fair. The next day, I went in the morning for two interviews. They were back to back and both behavioral questions. Ended with any questions I had for them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you went out of your way to help a client or customer   Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Had my resume pulled from career services at my university. We had a phone screening, and I was contacted the next week to set up a face-to-face interview. The process took three to four weeks overall. It was one of the easier interviews I've been to. The people were extremely nice and personable. Overall a great learning experience!

Interview Questions

• They had a series of behavioral questions (tell me about a time when..) with three answers to each: Give me an example, What was the outcome, what did you learn? There was also one additional technical question. It's not a "whats the port number of HTTP" type question, but rather "solve this problem" type thing.   Answer Question

Powertrain Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Very behavorial type questions. Had two parts of the interview and each one was one on one. Not intimidating at all, just need to have experiences where the questions apply. Everything was paid for, the hotel, the travel. I got a tour of the factory too, it was great. The people were very friendly.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

the process started with a behavioral interview. The interviewer seemed interested but rushed at the same time like he had heard it all before. There were only three questions and it seemed like it didn't really get the entire picture.

Design Release Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

There was an initial 30 minute to 1 hour screening survey that had behavior based question. Following that I had two one hour interviews on site that were a similar style. I was given an offer the same day after the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you had to solve a problem without having all of the information available.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Met at career fair and the recruiter was very nice and easy to talk to. Was invited for an interview the next morning on campus. Interview isn't extremely hard but not easy either. They ask you 3 different situational questions and what you learned, how you reacted, etc about each situation.

Interview Questions

• The hardest for me was talking about a time when I had to learn on the fly   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Most commonly a face-to-face Targeted Interview process is used, typically with two interviewers from the function participating. Two or three rounds are to be expected: the first by a Human Resources business partner, the second by potential supervisor and trusted adviser, sometimes a third by would-be peers. If you are a top candidate, a brief 10 min chat with the functional executive may take place to ensure internal alignment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to go really out of the ordinary to salvage it: what did you do, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much negotiation scope; folks do not have much room to play with.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen on December 11th. After the holidays, they followed up and scheduled a second phone interview with two team members on January 9th.

They were both very human-voiced interviews, with mostly behavior-based questions.

Following the second interview we exchanged a couple of E-mails, but now there's been radio silence for several weeks. Disappointing that they would treat a candidate this way.

Update: After another week, the hiring manager finally responded my previous E-mail, and the process is moving forward. Still not sure what the outcome will be. HR contacted me, as well, and the primary focus was on compensation. He actually asked me, "what's your bottom line?"

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to give someone bad news.   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Asked 3 questions and told me to elaborate on software I have developed. What was your greatest achievement? Etc what was your favorite class? What kind of java programs have you created? Very nice interviewer