General Motors

271 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Engineer - Tools Interview

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at General Motors in December 2013.

Interview Details I have attended interview for .NET Senior Developer, Interview was good which covered all basics of .NET, MVC, WPF, MVVM etc. Interview happened for 1hr 30 Mins. After technical round has Manager Round and EGM Round.
EGM round was interesting. Executive General Manager will ask you certain scenarios and we have to answer how we have overcomeed it and what the positives you take from it etc.
After I had brief HR round.

Interview Question – EGM round was unexpected. Questions will be based on you real time experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much scope for negotiation. HR will decide you package based on your current CTC and which team you are going to.

Aero CFD Engineer Interview

Warren, MI (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Motors in November 2013.

Interview Details On-campus behavioral interview after career fair. Invited for onsite interview a month later. Onsite consisted of another behavioral interview, a semi-technical interview with hiring manager, then tour of the facilities and lunch with current aero engineers. Very comfortable and enjoyable interview process, and the process is very streamlined through human resources.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you experienced conflict with a co-worker and what steps did you take to resolve the issue.   View Answer

IT Software Development Intern (EXCEL Program) Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details I met with a representative on campus and gave her my resume. A few weeks later I received an email asking if I wanted to interview on my school's campus. I met up with one interviewer (two were supposed to be there) and interviewed for, I believe, just under an hour.

No technical questions. I was asked three questions and had to explain 5 points to each. They weren't questions that helped you bring up your strong points, mostly questions about a time you messed up, what you learned, and how that learning experience affects how you do things now.

I walked away feeling like it didn't go that well, but I guess that comes with the territory when you're talking for an hour about times that you've messed up. I was recently offered an internship and am going to accept.

Don't forget the thank you email after your interview. I felt like I didn't have the chance to explain how badly I wanted the internship, so I used the thank you email to stress that point.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to give up on something. (The three questions were all somewhat like this one)   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I applied through other source and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details 2-3 rounds of interviews covering behavioural aspects in different situations and asking for specific examples on what were the actions taken and results

Interview Question – Talking about failures   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not to ardous

Senior Buyer Interview

Detroit, MI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in November 2012.

Interview Details Very detailed around identifying the core competencies for employment

Interview Question – What was your thought process as of why you came to that decision?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Very Difficult Interview

Finance Manager TRACK Program Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details This is an MBA recruiting program. I went to NSHMBA without any leads or contacts at GM but made a good enough impression to get a first round interview. I had two separate 30 minute interviews, one was behavioral based and the other was technical based. I was then flown to Detroit for a final round 'Super Day.' There were 4, 30 minute interviews where interviewers mixed behavioral, situational, and technical based questions. There was also a technical screen where you were given 90 minutes to read over a business case, build a forecast model, and write a memo about your findings. Your fifth 30 minute interview consisted of a presentation of your analysis along with other technical questions and critiques of your analysis. It was a long process.

Interview Questions

• If GM were to pay a large one time special dividend, how would this impact our cost of debt?   View Answer
  • Can your cost of debt ever be greater than your cost of equity?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked to gross up the signing bonus and receive the bonus in advance in return for cancelling two scheduled final round interviews. They said no. I talked to three other candidates that received offers that all tried to negotiate to no avail. They have an offer for you to either take or leave.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in December 2013.

Interview Details Three interviews, personality based, very comfortable

Interview Question – What was a situation where you had to change your means of communications because of new information you received?   Answer Question

Production Worker Interview

Arlington, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

Interview Details Employee referral, a employment service call to set up a skill test interview, after that employment service called to schedule a drug test, hair analysis, after the results a phone interview was set up.

Interview Question – Have you ever had a confrontational employee, how did you deal with the situation   Answer Question

Production Group Leader Interview

Defiance, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied for the position online. I received a phone call from the talent aquisition team about two moths after I applied. A phone interview was conducted. The questions in the phone interview were very general interview questions. I was told my information would be forwarded over to the hiring manager. About a week later the same person called me back and said i had been selected to interview in person. The position I applied for was in another state. GM covered all expenses(flight,car,hotel,food). The only expense i paid was for gas and luggage. The interview was two hours in length. There were two teams of two and I spent an hour with each team. The questions were behavior styled question, tell me about a time when............

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you said something different to one person than to another, and this came back to haunt you   Answer Question

Purchasing Internshi[ Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details 1st interview was at a career confrence at my college. I got a call a few weeks later asking me to come in for a 3 1/2 hour interview. Have not had that interview yet.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to learn something new very quickly.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors