General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct 2014

2.3

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

The process was pretty simple. There was a career fair in my school. I approached the recruiters about more information, next thing I know I have an interview with them.

After the interview (which was purely behavior questions) - kind of normal for a first interview. I was told to wait for them to contact me.

About a week after I received an email from one of the recruiters letting me know that I have an interview at a particular time. I was not given a heads up or anything, so that was kind of frustrating.

During the interview they went over a power point, kind of trying to sell you on GM because lets face it as a graduating college students we all may get approached by different companies. Then we did a tour of the building, showing us where the magic happens and finally it was the interview.

The interview was all behavioral questions again - no technical questions, mainly because they put you through an intense training program once you get hired.

Interview Questions
  • 1. What was one wrong decision that you made in the past and what was the outcome?
    2. What was a risk that you took recently and what happened after you took that risk?
    3. Tell me about a time when you were presented with a problem, but did not have the tools to solve the problem.
    4. Why do you want to work for GM? What made you chose us?
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors.

I had 2 on campus interviews with General Motors over the course of a week. The first interview was strictly behaviorally based. They require you to answer their questions with a STAR response framework in mind. The second interview was behavioral as well, with one technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of cars from the US and their miles per gallon, and a list of cars from Europe with their kilometers per hour, how would you determine which car has the best gas mileage.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

There's a phone interview, then an in person interview.

The in person interview has a few people interview you, including your hiring manager. Don't believe that is your permanent manager; my manager changed after a week, and other IT folk had their manager change only 2 weeks after hire.

Interview Questions
    • They have some weird format they want you to answer in "what did you learn". So be prepared to explain that you learned something in every difficult previous work experience.   Answer Question
    I countered, and GM said no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question
    After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Two round interview process that took place over about 3 weeks. The first interview was your basic behavioral questions, held by two recruiter managers. It took about a week to hear back that I received a second round interview. The second was much like the first, which was unexpected. I was expecting a slightly more technical interview, since I was applying for a software development position, but the questions were almost identical to the ones asked during the first round. I received an official offer over the phone about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you made the wrong decision, but overcame the issues and excelled anyway.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Mostly reviewing your resume and some STAR behavioral questions. Know your experiences and have some good stories to talk about and be detailed. The interviewers were all friendly and easy to talk to. Aside for the normal nervousness, it was very comfortable. To help me with the phone interviews, I had a sticky note of all of my past experiences that I might want to touch on. It helped

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very difficult, just some unexpected behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiating is only based on prior experience. They have a flat offer, and then bump for any professional experience you've had. Make sure you make all of your experience clear!

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Met with GM at a university career fair in 2013. After the initial approach I had two interview the next day with the recruiters that were on campus. First one was strictly behavioral and the second one was a mix of behavioral and very easy technical question on programming basics.

Interview Questions
    • They were all very simple question. Like for example: write an algorithm that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Low Offer

Software Developer Interview

Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

It was very easy. They only did a 1st round interview at my schools career fair. About 4-5 weeks later I got a call with the job offer. I do not believe I was asked any technical questions. They're trying to get the overall IT department up to about 10,000 people. Right now we're at about 8,000. Unless you were with HP, IBM, Dell, or a previous contractor they only want college hires.

Interview Questions
    The money was more than expected, so I gladly accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

From the time I first applied online until I received an offer was about 35 days. Initial screening interview, technical phone interview, on-site interview (two sessions). Interviews are conversational and there isn't much preparation needed. Just know your resume and be able to share situational experience. Rcvd phone offer 4 days later

Interview Questions
    • If you like to do many things like develop and lead and test, they will ask you to choose one. They will also ask you if there is anything that you hate to do. My hate was "write technical documentation" and the interviewer seemed to sympathize with me.   Answer Question
    I documented my requests for more base salary and they were all turned down. Basically, they give you a salary figure and you either take it or leave it. They say they will entertain requests, but I felt like they were just saying that because they came back very quickly with "no" to several different scenarios.