Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
87 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details company presentation, the company does not want any experienced person, 30 minutes aptitude test was conducted after the presentation, 1-1 interview general is conducted for the candidates who cleared the aptitude test, 2-1 interview technical and general is conducted in the next day for who cleared the 1st round interview, 2-1 interview technical is conducted for the final selection.

Interview Question – since i didn't attend the final round, all the questions were common and general.   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2014.

Interview Details I was hired for their CRMA division. It took a month for them to get back after I submitted my application. The entire interview process took 2 months, mostly due to the availability of interviewers. I waited for exactly 2 weeks to hear back after the final interview.
The overall interview process was very positive. Needless to say that everyone was very professional. There were 8 half-hour back-to-back interviews, all conducted over the phone. There were some typical behavioral questions including tell me about yourself, tell me a time when you had a heavy workload, tell me about a project at your latest internship... etc. You need to know your resume very well. I don't have a very strong finance background, so they didn't ask very advanced finance questions, though there were still some basic technical questions such as what is credit risk, how would you analyze a company's credit risk, what role does debt plays in credit risk analysis, etc.

Interview Question – Most questions were expected. The most unexpected question was what do you think is the most important thing to GS at this point?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The salary is fair.

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details consensus driven; multiple round interviews, with often 10+ people involved in the process; topics range from current events to brain teasers and corporate finance questions. people were generally friendly and open to discussion.

Interview Question – what is your competitive advantage vs other candidates?   View Answer

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details First rounds on campus and then was invited back for a second round with a number of groups and then a final super day where I interviewed with everyone in the specific group I was looking at

Interview Question – Everything was fairly standard interview. A few math type questions, but knew these (and got asked them) since I had a finance background   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since analyst program has pre-set amounts

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details Initial communication was at a school career fair. Then applied online and was invited to an on-campus interview. There were two interviews each ~30mins with two current employees. After getting invited to final round I was invited to a meet and greet with current vice presidents on campus. Flew out and spent the night prior to all day interviews. Interviews were round robin-esque and went around to three different groups of two for ~30mins each. Then continued receiving emails from firm saying I was still being considered but hadn't been placed. Finally had a phone interview with the team I would be working with on the phone.

Interview Question – Questions weren't difficult - all behaviorally-oriented.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details The interview process included a couple of case studies and very technical questions about the previous job and the work done.

Interview Question – Which JAVA API did you use in your previous job?   View Answer

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details Contacted by third party recruiter, went through 3 phone interviews, onsite interview met with 10 people (7 technical and 3 HR, 2 out of 10 are managing director).

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details Intense. Requires careful preparation. Seek feedback through mock interviews before superday. Have conviction.

Interview Question – Most questions are derivatives of questions on prep guides. I was asked how to solve the European crisis, which was expected. The surprise was the detailed follow-up on nuances. It was basically a pressure session.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details 0. A lot of discussion about my under grad college,its campus,hostel life,( even food quality !!). Then why not Phd-difference in academiic and corporate life etc etc?
1. What is outlier? Why we are concerned about them - give a situation ? How to detect it? 2008 crisis-extreme value theory?
2. What do you mean by lift chart?
3. Stability of a system? Describe eigenvalues and eigenvectors?
4. What do you mean by Factor Analysis?
5. logistic regression? how to estimate its parameters? how to know whether it is a good model or not? Give an example of it.
6. When is a PDE parabolic? Methods to solve PDE numerically? Explain Finite Difference Method
7.Describe CLT?
8. How to Estimate parameters of ARIMA model?What is ACF?

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2010.

Interview Details Interviewed with 15+ investment banking professionals; everybody was friendly and engaging, but each interview was challenging

Interview Question – "What is 13 times 14?"   View Answer

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!