Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
1,614 Interview Reviews

3.3

Intern Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The application was for a specific team of the Securities Division who is selling derivative products. I sent my application directly to members of the team I have applied for since I have met them during a presentation at my university. After sending them my CV, covering letter and references I had a first round phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • - what is the delta of a knock-in put?
      - explain the the implied volatility skew and the related downsides of the black schols model?
        Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

After submitting documents online and passing an online psychometric test, I was called by an assistant to arrange a telephone interview. There was some confusion since my interviewer called me 15 minutes late, however was under the impression that she was 30 minutes late in calling me. After passing the phone interview, I was invited for three back to back interviews at the GS offices. The interview was unorganised and my scheduled interviewers were popping in and out to come from and return to meetings.

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you $1m, how would you invest it. Be specific with investment classes and justify your weightings.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2012.

Aptitude
    2 on 1 with juniors
    2 on 1 with seniors

Interview Questions
    • Why Goldman when other companies are doing better than us   Answer Question

Compliance Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2010.

The interview involved me meeting 4 team members of varying rank. I was given a number of behavioural questions and asked a lot about my experienced and educational background. It was clear that they wanted someone with a lot of experience. I had worked in London so that helped a lot.

Analyst Interview

I was sent Immediately to "super day".... through networking.

5 interviews in Chicago office 7AM - Noon. Ranged from VPs to new hires.

Awesome facility. The experienced professionals were awesome. Younger analysts seemed awkward & overworked.

I am not a finance major, so questions were more market based/behavioral based/etc.... Nothing too complex. If you watch the news/follows the WSJ you should be fine understanding the questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work at a company where you will have no life?"   View Answer

Summer Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Initially had one 30 minutes phone interview with a VP. Next day got a call from recruiters requesting I come in for a super day at Goldman Sachs New York office - four interviews with sets of two interviewers each. A good amount of behavioral questions and lots of referring back to previous experience displayed on my resume. Asked for market overview and economic climate in the US.

Interview Questions
    • Case study focusing on Asset Liability Management   View Answer

Analyst/Developer Interview

many rounds of interview but not that difficult, core java questions are predominant, sql and problem solving skills are checked, queries are based on views, caching, indexes... in java, collections and threads are concentrated. design skills are not tested so much at this level. All though there would be many rounds but questions would be repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • they will ask puzzles, db related questions are sometime tricky, written test can be difficult..   Answer Question

Credit Risk/Sovereign Risk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

It was through a school career service website. It was more like a pre-talk instead of a formal interview. I talked with the head of the sovereign risk team. He basically asked questions regarding to my background, previous internship experience, and why you want to work for GS. However, he said the position was an immediate hire and I won't graduate until December. I was not invited to the formal interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you major in international relations for your MA given your undergraduate degree is in math?   Answer Question

IBD Quant Interview

Applied via my program, a manager gave me a 30 mins phone interview, a lot of tech questions, including stats, stochastic calculus and questions about exotic derivatives. No behaviour question. And the interviewer was keeping challenge my answers even I got right. Guess he want to test how people preform under stress.

Interview Questions
    • A lot, no questions from classical quant interview books.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

4 interviews - what is risk management to you?....... behavior questions .... any excel project ... analytic project? deadline driven experience? dealing wit cash? how would you go bout someone who steals at work place or does something wrong or illegal? what is your weakness and strengths?

Interview Questions

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!