Goldman Sachs Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
1,592 interviews

3.3

Intern Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The application was for a specific team of the Securities Division who is selling derivative products. I sent my application directly to members of the team I have applied for since I have met them during a presentation at my university. After sending them my CV, covering letter and references I had a first round phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • - what is the delta of a knock-in put?
      - explain the the implied volatility skew and the related downsides of the black schols model?
        Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

After submitting documents online and passing an online psychometric test, I was called by an assistant to arrange a telephone interview. There was some confusion since my interviewer called me 15 minutes late, however was under the impression that she was 30 minutes late in calling me. After passing the phone interview, I was invited for three back to back interviews at the GS offices. The interview was unorganised and my scheduled interviewers were popping in and out to come from and return to meetings.

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you $1m, how would you invest it. Be specific with investment classes and justify your weightings.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2012.

Aptitude
    2 on 1 with juniors
    2 on 1 with seniors

Interview Questions
    • Why Goldman when other companies are doing better than us   Answer Question

Compliance Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2010.

The interview involved me meeting 4 team members of varying rank. I was given a number of behavioural questions and asked a lot about my experienced and educational background. It was clear that they wanted someone with a lot of experience. I had worked in London so that helped a lot.

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Resume based.

Talked about previous internships/college level positions held.

Slightly technical

Corporate Derivatives Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I had a phone interview that was very impersonal. Very brief intro / discussion of my background followed by about 4-5 brainteasers and quantitative questions. The interviewer was clearly reading a list of questions he'd been asked to ask me and was looking for very specific answers (i.e. if I didn't answer the way he expected me to he asked me "if I could possibly answer the question a different way"). I'd suggest reading over "Heard on the Street" by Crack; questions asked were very similar those ones.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the graph of stock price versus vega of a binary call option   View Answer

Quant Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The process is through a recruiter and the recruiter notified me just before the interview which was really hard to prepare. The interview is pretty standard. You will be asked about your resume for about ten minutes and you are allowed to ask about the position. Then it comes the brain teaser.

Interview Questions
    • Why does the average of independent random variable converge to normal distribution, not others?   Answer Question

Legal Analyst Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

Had several on-site interviews and met with MDs and VPs one on one. The team was very friendly and genuinely cared about what your previous work/ educational experience have been like. Overall, very positive and enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Know your resume and how your skills apply to the job. Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions
    • Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

GSAM Strats Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

GSAM strats team (perhaps the entire Goldman) are obsessed about brain teasers. They don't care about what you have on your resume (they may have their point because nowadays everyont's resume is inflated). They have a list of questions to ask, and they expect you to answer as soon as possible in the way they like. Perhaps they are trying to find a super smart person, but I guess the best way for a regular smart person to hack is going through all brain teaser books you can find, and trust me, the person who is talking on the other end of the phone is not as smart as they think.

Interview Questions

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!