Goldman Sachs Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014
1,680 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

Submitted Application -> Online Test (Didn't do really well) -> Phone Interview (30mins, talking about resume then answered a bunch of technical questions) -> On-site Interview(4*30mins, 1to1, group) -> Got Offer -> Background Check...

Accepted immediately

Intern Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The application was for a specific team of the Securities Division who is selling derivative products. I sent my application directly to members of the team I have applied for since I have met them during a presentation at my university. After sending them my CV, covering letter and references I had a first round phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • - what is the delta of a knock-in put?
      - explain the the implied volatility skew and the related downsides of the black schols model?
        Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

After submitting documents online and passing an online psychometric test, I was called by an assistant to arrange a telephone interview. There was some confusion since my interviewer called me 15 minutes late, however was under the impression that she was 30 minutes late in calling me. After passing the phone interview, I was invited for three back to back interviews at the GS offices. The interview was unorganised and my scheduled interviewers were popping in and out to come from and return to meetings.

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you $1m, how would you invest it. Be specific with investment classes and justify your weightings.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2012.

Aptitude
    2 on 1 with juniors
    2 on 1 with seniors

Interview Questions
    • Why Goldman when other companies are doing better than us   Answer Question

Compliance Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2010.

The interview involved me meeting 4 team members of varying rank. I was given a number of behavioural questions and asked a lot about my experienced and educational background. It was clear that they wanted someone with a lot of experience. I had worked in London so that helped a lot.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later. They flew me out to Salt Lake City and I interviewed with them in person. Nothing they asked was unexpected or a curveball. It was a round robin of four interviews in 30 minute intervals.

Interview Questions
    • Rank the following in order from most to least important: Customer service, risk management, and efficiency   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I gave my resume at a career fair. Received a call for an on campus interview. The interview was quite simple and required basic data structures questions. Asked some java questions.

Technology Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

The position was in India - Bangalore office of Goldman Sachs. I was contacted via a recruiter. Then the HR contacted me and did an initial briefing of the role and then later called me for a full day face to face interviews at their office.

There was an initial interview from the HR and then followed by two different head of the Technology teams. Then later that day by the senior folks in the team. It was all very friendly / conversation type discussions through out. After a week , I received few more phone discussions with my potential counter parts from the US office.
    Overall , it was a pleasant experience. It took almost 6 weeks to complete the interview process and another three more weeks for the final offer.

Interview Questions
    • It was mostly around the cultural fit and work ethics.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied online and got an e-mail inviting me for a phone interview. The phone interview was 30 minutes with a member of the team I'd be involved with. The questions were mostly behavioral. They asked about ethical dilemmas, how you work in a team, etc. Two weeks later, I was contacted for a second round interview. They flew me out to Salt Lake City where the interview was only an hour long. I had half hour sessions with two senior members, so four people total. The questions again were mostly behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest part was being asked to teach them a concept in accounting and teach them a concept in finance.   Answer Question

I had a much better offer already and I didn't feel like I would fit in well.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round: 2 interviews at satellite office. Second round: 3 interviews at London office. First two interviews were to determine motivation and general knowledge of finance. Second round of interviews consisted of a mix of competency and technical questions. In general questions were quite broad, ie.: what do you think of the business model of Facebook? Do you think the FED will raise the interest rates in the coming years?