Goldman Sachs Operations Analyst Interview Questions

Updated 19 Apr 2015

2.9

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT (US)).

Interview

Applied online and through the career services at my university, was contacted approx. two weeks later asking if I was still interested. I responded and was contacted few days later with the details.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
    Tell me about a time you improved a process.
    Why operations? etc.
    Some questions were based on my responses but nothing too overwhelming in my opinion.

1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process took bout 4 months. Started with many phone conference calls with many different VP's then was flow out for an onsite interview which was a "superday". The interviewers were all very humble and not overbearing whatsoever. The flight and accommodations to the onsite interview were all expensed and was given time to explore the area to get a feel for it.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Interview

on campus interview, back to back interview, people there are nice. prepare to tell a story on each questions and have more interactive should be good.
    you can get back as soon as one week later. overall, the interview is the basic interview, and all are behaviour questions.
    questions you need to prepare
    Tell me about yourself.
    What are your strengths?
    What are your weaknesses?
    Why do you want this job?
    Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
    What's your ideal company?
    What attracted you to this company?
    Why should we hire you?
    What did you like least about your last job?
    When were you most satisfied in your job?
    What can you do for us that other candidates can't?
    What were the responsibilities of your last position?
    Why are you leaving your present job?
    What do you know about this industry?
    What do you know about our company?
    Do you have any questions for me?

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT (US)).

Interview

I was asked if I would consider the operations position in place of the position I applied for by the recruiter. I said I would and was sent to SLC that following Friday for superday. There I had 2hours worth of interviewing with 8 interviewers, 2 interviews in each session. I thought the interviews on superday went great and was hopeful to hear an offer in the coming days. However, the following Monday I received an email stating that I was not selected for the position. I am very surprised and was really looking forward to the position and culture at the SLC office. I have asked for feedback, but doubt I will receive an email back. The interview questions were all behavioral and ethical based.

Interview Questions

• Why GS? Why operations? Describe a time where your ethics were in question. Describe a time when you improved a process efficiency. What appeals to you about SLC? Do you see yourself here in the next 2-5 years. What is risk? What is risk within the divisions? ...etc.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

4 back to back interviews in a roll without break, and people were put in two different rooms and after we talked, one is for the people who majored in business or related ones while the other is not.
    There was one people finished the interviews really quick and some took longer and I think the ones that took longer are good ones.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

As the standard here for London office, the first step is a telephone interview since i was in London. Two days later, I had the final interview. After two week, I am still waiting for the response. I called them up asking why they didn't post the result yet. They told me to wait for another several weeks. They didn't say that they put me on hold. I'd love to know actually do anyone here receives the response already? The final interview is on March 27th Friday.

Operation Analyst Interview

Interview

Campus placements. First we had the orientation in college. We had four rounds. First round aptitude, it consisted of English, math and logical reasoning. It was not very hard to crack. second round h.r interview, third round operations round1 and operations round 2. Over all the interview process was smooth and not very tough.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      why do you want to take up finance as a career?
      Why Goldman Sachs
      where do you see yourself 5 years down the line

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Submitted resume online and was contacted a few weeks later to Superday at the Jersey City offices. Three interviews back to back in 30 minute intervals. The first two were 2 on 1. However the last interview was with one person, a VP. Very standard questions, with nothing being much of a surprise. Most of the interviewers asked the same questions so it did become a repetition game after a while but the process wasn't too bad. However the questions that I thought they were going to ask, did not get asked. With one or two questions about my resume, or Why GS? and Why Operations? Most questions were about my resume, with them going in very great detail.

Interview Questions

• Why is your GPA so low?
      (Didn't expect this since there is not GPA minimum requirement on website or job description as is the case with most jobs)

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in February 2015.

Interview

Apply online, no aptitude test
    Then you will receive e-mails from them if you are selected
    First round is interview by phone, basic questions about your CV, experience, nothing special here.
    Then the remaining three rounds are somewhat similar, but then you will have to go to their office in Central.

Basically you face different people but answering the same questions, know your CV inside out. They dig deeply

Interview Questions

• Leadership experience
      Something about my past internships

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

Interview

For me this was a three tier interview process. I met with the recruiters at a career fair and actually originally spoke to a representative of the Finance Division; however, the Operations Division representative overheard the conversation and told me I would be better suited for his division. He asked me to describe my work experience, and strangely enough he was right it aligned more with Operations than Finance. I gave him my resume' in hopes that he would give me some good news, he kind of shrugged and just told me to apply online if I was interested, and I assumed the opportunity was done.

About two weeks later I got a call from their SLC office, and he scheduled an interview for me to speak with someone in ops over the phone from their NYC offices. I applied for the internship online officially after the interview setup over the phone. Many people from my school received the phone interview. There was a miscommunication on the date of when I was supposed to speak with the interviewer, and I was shocked to get a call on Black Friday while I was shopping and not prepared but I still took the phone interview. It was 15 minutes, and the interviewer asked basic questions basically going over my resume and if I knew what operations did at Goldman. She was very pleasant to talk to and it ended being less an interview and her giving me advice and talking about her experience at Goldman.

About a week later I received an email congratulating me and inviting me to Super Day. Of the 10 people that made it to the phone interview from my school, I was the only that made it to Super Day (maybe because I also applied online helped because I also received the Congrats on the career login as well). Super Day was a round robin of two 30-minute interviews. I had a one-on-one interview where I was asked the why Goldman questions (why Goldman, what part of the division would you work, and how my experience would help at Goldman). The second interview was a two-on-one interview where the questions were all behavioral and situational (describe when you made a mistake, how do you address big problems, what does this word mean on your resume in simple terms, etc.) For me the experience was rather easy because I have quite a bit of work experience that I was easily able to apply to each question naturally. This interview went fairly well too. All three interviewers opened up to me and also basically provided me advice and insight into their experiences. Had the interview on Friday and got notified Wednesday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation you have been a situation where you were morally conflicted, and you saw someone commit an act that goes against your morals but you went along with it because society says its okay.   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A