Goldman Sachs

Updated 2 Mar 2015
Updated 2 Mar 2015

2.9

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was asked if I would consider the operations position in place of the position I applied for by the recruiter. I said I would and was sent to SLC that following Friday for superday. There I had 2hours worth of interviewing with 8 interviewers, 2 interviews in each session. I thought the interviews on superday went great and was hopeful to hear an offer in the coming days. However, the following Monday I received an email stating that I was not selected for the position. I am very surprised and was really looking forward to the position and culture at the SLC office. I have asked for feedback, but doubt I will receive an email back. The interview questions were all behavioral and ethical based.

Interview Questions
  • Why GS? Why operations? Describe a time where your ethics were in question. Describe a time when you improved a process efficiency. What appeals to you about SLC? Do you see yourself here in the next 2-5 years. What is risk? What is risk within the divisions? ...etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Submitted resume online and was contacted a few weeks later to Superday at the Jersey City offices. Three interviews back to back in 30 minute intervals. The first two were 2 on 1. However the last interview was with one person, a VP. Very standard questions, with nothing being much of a surprise. Most of the interviewers asked the same questions so it did become a repetition game after a while but the process wasn't too bad. However the questions that I thought they were going to ask, did not get asked. With one or two questions about my resume, or Why GS? and Why Operations? Most questions were about my resume, with them going in very great detail.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your GPA so low?
      (Didn't expect this since there is not GPA minimum requirement on website or job description as is the case with most jobs)

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

Apply online, no aptitude test
    Then you will receive e-mails from them if you are selected
    First round is interview by phone, basic questions about your CV, experience, nothing special here.
    Then the remaining three rounds are somewhat similar, but then you will have to go to their office in Central.

Basically you face different people but answering the same questions, know your CV inside out. They dig deeply

Interview Questions
    • Leadership experience
      Something about my past internships

Operation Analyst Interview

Campus placements. First we had the orientation in college. We had four rounds. First round aptitude, it consisted of English, math and logical reasoning. It was not very hard to crack. second round h.r interview, third round operations round1 and operations round 2. Over all the interview process was smooth and not very tough.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself
      why do you want to take up finance as a career?
      Why Goldman Sachs
      where do you see yourself 5 years down the line

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Standard online application. Submit CV and cover letter online. Invited for face to face interview about 2 weeks later. Interview was with two vice presidents (they had both been with the firm for about 8 years each). Pretty standard questions about CV, a lot of competency questions. A good talking point is the firm's culture and their 14 business principles. I would recommend mentioning some of those that stand out for you.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied online. Got an email inviting me to the first round of interview. Got through that and invited me for a second round a week later. First round, one interview with two people and second round consisted of 3 interviews again with two employees each.

Interview Questions
    • Standard competency questions. Give an example when you have worked in a team, why finance, why Goldman Sachs, why operations, tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied through school and then online. Was contacted about 2 months later. This was for operations analyst position in Hong Kong with the Corporate Services. Had about 5-6 phone and video interviews with CSRE division around the world.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

For me this was a three tier interview process. I met with the recruiters at a career fair and actually originally spoke to a representative of the Finance Division; however, the Operations Division representative overheard the conversation and told me I would be better suited for his division. He asked me to describe my work experience, and strangely enough he was right it aligned more with Operations than Finance. I gave him my resume' in hopes that he would give me some good news, he kind of shrugged and just told me to apply online if I was interested, and I assumed the opportunity was done.

About two weeks later I got a call from their SLC office, and he scheduled an interview for me to speak with someone in ops over the phone from their NYC offices. I applied for the internship online officially after the interview setup over the phone. Many people from my school received the phone interview. There was a miscommunication on the date of when I was supposed to speak with the interviewer, and I was shocked to get a call on Black Friday while I was shopping and not prepared but I still took the phone interview. It was 15 minutes, and the interviewer asked basic questions basically going over my resume and if I knew what operations did at Goldman. She was very pleasant to talk to and it ended being less an interview and her giving me advice and talking about her experience at Goldman.

About a week later I received an email congratulating me and inviting me to Super Day. Of the 10 people that made it to the phone interview from my school, I was the only that made it to Super Day (maybe because I also applied online helped because I also received the Congrats on the career login as well). Super Day was a round robin of two 30-minute interviews. I had a one-on-one interview where I was asked the why Goldman questions (why Goldman, what part of the division would you work, and how my experience would help at Goldman). The second interview was a two-on-one interview where the questions were all behavioral and situational (describe when you made a mistake, how do you address big problems, what does this word mean on your resume in simple terms, etc.) For me the experience was rather easy because I have quite a bit of work experience that I was easily able to apply to each question naturally. This interview went fairly well too. All three interviewers opened up to me and also basically provided me advice and insight into their experiences. Had the interview on Friday and got notified Wednesday.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation you have been a situation where you were morally conflicted, and you saw someone commit an act that goes against your morals but you went along with it because society says its okay.   Answer Question
    N/A

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

Applied in November, got email notification for a phone interview in January. First round interview includes 2 phone calls of 20min each calling from operations people. Basically all behavioral questions. I got questions like "share some experience of how you dealt with risks in your life" and "walk me through your resume". Be prepared for a Chinese self-introduction if you are applying for positions in China.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

I first heard about the position through a GS recruiter at my university. After talking with him, he connected me with a professional in the Operations Division. I had a few conversations with this professional and she encouraged me to apply for the position. I did and about a week later I was contacted by HR about coming in for an interview. In about two weeks I had my interview. I had never been to a "super day" and did not know exactly what to expect. I had four thirty minute interviews (one was 1 on 1 the other three were 2 on 1).

The interviews were pretty straight forward and there were no curve ball questions. They mostly asked Why GS? Why Operations? and team experiences. As long as you prepare of those questions and the other questions posted on this site, you will ACE the interview.

A week after my "super day" I was contacted about a follow up phone interview. The phone interview was thirty minutes and 1 on 1. My interviewer basically asked the same questions as the previous interviewers so it was not difficult.

A week after my phone interview I received my offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you failed in front of people.
      Tell me about a time you improved a process.
      Why GS?
      Why Operations?
      What role do you usually play on a team?
      What would your ideal job description be?

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.