Goldman Sachs Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

3.2

207 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

After submitting documents online and passing an online psychometric test, I was called by an assistant to arrange a telephone interview. There was some confusion since my interviewer called me 15 minutes late, however was under the impression that she was 30 minutes late in calling me. After passing the phone interview, I was invited for three back to back interviews at the GS offices. The interview was unorganised and my scheduled interviewers were popping in and out to come from and return to meetings.

Interview Questions
  • If I gave you $1m, how would you invest it. Be specific with investment classes and justify your weightings.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

4 interviews - what is risk management to you?....... behavior questions .... any excel project ... analytic project? deadline driven experience? dealing wit cash? how would you go bout someone who steals at work place or does something wrong or illegal? what is your weakness and strengths?

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2013.

There was a Phone interview, as well as back-to-back in-person interviews with two employees in each interview. With the in-person interviews, the groups interviewing were increasingly senior with each interview, as well as increasingly hard to impress. Expect each interview to get harder and harder, although this is a good way of working your way up to the final interview and getting warmed up rather than doing it right away. Amazing company to work for, and even more amazing people to work with!

Interview Questions
    • What is your opinion on the Fed continuing QE3 this last September meeting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First was a written round with questions mainly to test your quantitative aptitude-questions ranged from very easy-medium. Next was an essay writing test. Both are easy to crack but fastness and accuracy matters. Third round was group discussion.Don't try to be dominant- remember this is a group discussion and not a debate- support or constructively oppose your team members. Two in each group of about 10 people went through. Next was a 2 on 1 interview- with questions ranging from simple HR to basic finance and little bit of your subject domain. Don't try to bluff the interviewer saying that you are well versed in the finance world- especially to people coming from the engineering background- just an interest and zeal to learn is sufficient to get through. The final interview was a 1 on 1 with the vice president. They were mostly personality based questions like- Give an example of a situation which proved your leadership skills etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2012.

College recruitment.. Interview process took 3- 4 days and the results took a month, after which there was a background check. The interview process starts only if you clear an aptitude test

No Negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

This was an On-Campus recruitment for internship.
    Basically it was not as hard as the Full time employee recruitment process.
    Number of rounds were variable (2 - 4).
    First round:
    -> Written test. Mostly of Quantitative aptitude and some C++ apti.
    -> An essay on describing yourself.
    -> Time was not sufficient. Mostly a minute to solve a question.
    Technical round:
    -> Had 5 questions.
    -> Simple Data Structure problems and asked to write a pseudo-code.
    -> Concentrated on DBMS queries mainly join.
    -> UNIX command like printing nth record in a text file.
    HR/Technical Round:
    -> Tested basic knowledge on academic packages .
    -> Some stress questions.
    -> They just check whether you can handle a situation under pressure.

If you are interested to know the functioning of financial domain then this is the place for you.
    Wont be working with cutting edge technologies again all are team based.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I easily had 7+ interviews. My original interview was on-campus at the university I attend. A lot of it was pretty unorganized. When I received callback interviews, I was informed of the interview less than a week in advance (which was difficult since most of my interviews were in NYC and I was 4+ hours away from NYC and still had class). All of my expenses were paid, however. Which was pretty cool.

Interview Questions

I had decent qualifications to be employed in the tech industry. The tech industry pays better, has way better fringe benefits (i.e. flexible hours, way less hours, no pressure to work on the weekends) and it seemed to be easy to make the transition from tech to finance if I later decided I wanted that.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Applied online in early December, got an email 3 weeks later saying 1st round interviews will be scheduled. Heard back only in late January (so don't panic if it takes ages for them to get back to you...). 1st round interviews included 2 half hour sessions with two interviewers at a time, asking mostly behavioural questions and about past experience, skills, etc. A lot of 'tell me about an experience where you've had to show leadership/creativity' etc. Heard back after a long while, 3 weeks maybe. 2nd round interviews included 2 one-on-one sessions, same sort of interview, only this time I was also asked about specific roles/divisions I'd be interested in. Final interview was a more informal group meeting with a VP and another interviewee, asking what we look forward to, what we fear the most, what role we'd be most interested in. Only heard back after emailing a follow up email, 5 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one of your hobbies as if you are talking to a person who has never heard of it before.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Online Application. Took 4 weeks for them to get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what you think about the Chinese economy, answer in Chinese please. What do you think about the direction of Renminbi and US dollar?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Applied through OCR and also had an employee who referred me to HCM. About a month later, I was notified that I was selected for a first round phone interview. Overall, the interview was very conversational and the interviewer (a VP) was engaging and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me as a person. Didn't make it to superday.

Interview Questions

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!