Goldman Sachs Vice President Interview Questions & Reviews

19 interviews

3.3

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Vice President Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions
  • Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Vice President Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question
    My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   View Answer
    They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2010.

You will be interviewed by at least 10 people. They don't all need to agree but should. If they do offer you it means you are viewed as "in" the team.

Interview Questions
    • What is your core competency...if you were to do any job, what would it be? ( and don't simply say the job you are applying for...)   Answer Question
    I declined it at first but accepted it after we clarified the position and expectations further. Be prepared to walk away if you don't get that "hell yeah!" Feeling in your gut.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Very Lenghty, take time to communicate, 1st interview happened in a week via telecon, the next one took more than a month, and then still longer

Interview Questions
    • I would not say anything was difficult, it was more in communication and constant followup with HR is what takes toll   Answer Question

I had joined elsewhere

Vice President Interview

Hiring at GS is a very lengthy process for laterals. This begins with a call from the recruiter who judges your communications to see if he / she can even present you to the hiring Manager. Once you pass this barrier – mostly not a correct barrier as the recruiter is ill equipped to assess a senior member, you are presented to the hiring manager. The hiring manager is still awaiting budget approvals – but will proceed with the interview any ways as he is just fishing for good talent without a position in mind. If the budget comes through – there will be 20 more rounds where everyone who is even remotely connected to your department will want to speak to you and provide an opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Interview is purly based on luck - there is no evaluation of true talent.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Be prepared for 10+ interviews

Interview Questions
    • In my case, nothing too difficult or unexpected. Be prepared to discuss previous experiences in an insightful manner.   Answer Question

Met with 10 people, either live, VC, or phone

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

Called by HR person about a week after submitting resume. Interview was with hiring manager and managing director. Basic questions about background etc. Questions related to position and why I wanted to work with GS. Called back in about 3 days from HR person that they selected another person.

Interview Questions
    • Why did I want to work with GS (it's obvious why but having a legit reason is harder).   View Answer

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2011.

Had 17 interviews for a specific role, only to be told that the role was no longer available. They considered me for another position and I had an additional 5 interviews. Of the 22 interviews, 3 were with Partner MDs. Overall, was a long and grueling interview process spanning 3+ months. Most of the interview questions were behavioral, with a few technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview questions were behavioral and meant to learn more about my past experience. Several questions were technical.   Answer Question
    Worked with a recruiter, so that helped with the negotiation phase.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!