Google

Getting the Interview

82 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sydney

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

Interview Details 2x phone interviews with Software Engineers after a barrier interview with a recruiter. All fairly simple interview questions (cause intern), mainly technical. Spent a fair bit of time just chatting about what they did.

Interview Question – Write a recursive function to calculate pascal's pyramid numbers. (Actually easy).
Also open-ended knowledge questions.
  Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details I had three rounds of phone interviews. I made some mistake in the second round.

Interview Question – Estimate the storage usage of GMail.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Google in August 2012.

Interview Details The interview stage was composed of a phone interview and two one-hour coding sessions on a shared document.
The phone interview included 2-4 general questions and about 8 technical questions.
The coding interviews were composed of 2 programming problems and related theoretical questions
Coding questions were as seen on websites such as codejam and ACM

Interview Question – Implement a hashmap   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied on the last day possible. Heard back mid-March, had two Google hangout interviews. Recruiters were very friendly and professional.

Interview Question – 3 advantages of adwords.   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details Referred through a current employee. Contacted by a recruiter pretty quickly and phone interview was scheduled in 2 weeks. First interviewer asked general questions about data structures and things, no programming or real algorithm writing. Second had me write some algorithms.

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details I got 2 back-to-back 45 minutes interviews. I think I was a bit too slow on answering the questions, and I got completely flustered when asked if I had any questions at the end of the first interview (don't do that, prepare questions, such what the interviewer works on and how he likes Google etc.).
I did sign an NDA, so I won't say what the questions were, though they did cover BSTs, binary search, finding intersection. I also explained how mergesort works (and I didn't do it as naturally as I should have).

Interview Question – Probabilities. I was not expecting probabilities, and I needed a lot of help to land on the correct solution.
I was also not really expecting the "tell me about yourself" type of question, though looking back, I should have.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details Phone Interview

Interview Question – Basic questions about C, strlen and sizeof function   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details Process took 3 months, I had about 4 rounds of interviews

Interview Question – Describe your fave Google product   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details Contact with recruiter, 2 technical interviews, 3 host matching interviews

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details Submitted my resume with an internal reference, then two general technical interviews, and then three placement interviews. All interviews are on the phone.

Interview Question – A question regarding how to make neural networks scalable with larger datasets   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It is quite direct.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Intern interview questions and advice. All 82 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.