Google Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
3,120 interviews

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

The first phone interview consists of making the interviewee comfortable with some banter.
    Then Some technical questions which lead into a coding question in a google doc.
    Once finished you should walk through one or two sample questions.

Don't fret if you don't know a library name, but get the syntax of your language correct.
    Make sure you have a solid knowledge of basic data structures and algorithms.
    Always cater for corner cases.
    Knowing about how threadding and distributed computing is always a benefit, but it depends largely upon your interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Code a hashmap which you would be happy to place into a production environment.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Applied on Google website in March 2014. Got an email from a recruiter in June asking to set up a date for a technical phone interview with an Engineer. Managed to set a date for the interview about one month later. The interview lasted around 45 min and was very Technical. Got a reply a week later that they will not proceed to the next stage. Recruiter didn't give any specific information about the nature of the interview and didn't mention any specific areas to focus on. Everything was a bit vague and I spent nearly a month studying everything - Data structures, Algorithms, Coding, Systems, Networking etc.

Interview Questions
    • What happens in Linux Shell when trying to run ls command, Describe TCP protocol, how is TCP different from UDP and when to use each one, DNS uses UDP or TCP protocol, What is the size of UDP packet, Describe what is a struct, enum and union in C, describe the memory structure on the operating system (heap,data and stack)   View Answer

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Perth, Western Australia
    Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

After i applied online for junior sysadmin, i received an email from a hiring manager asking for a suitable time to arrange a techinical pre screen. The person forgot to call the first time, and i emailed him again to remind and reschedule it for the next day. As we were in different time zones, i agreed to an interview in the early hours of the morning, which was a big mistake.

On receiving the call, a short introduction followed by a series of technical questions which i was totally unprepared for. Add early morning dizziness to the equation and needless to say, it was a total failure of an interview.

Maybe it was my mistake but i didn't expect it to be that "Technical" and way above the level of a junior.

Interview Questions
    • Something on the "awk" command arguments   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

interviewed at Google in December 2012.

Applied online and didn't hear from then for a few months. Received a phone call from HR with a lot of technical questions such as converting binary to numerical numbers. After the initial interview, you receive an email to prepare for the next interview of typing up code on Google docs.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected to answer so many technical questions on the spot.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

The whole process took around 4 weeks. Got an phone interview from their recruiter first and then went for a onsite interview. Phone interview was easy, just a quick chat about your relevant experience and background, but the onsite interview was challenge which took around 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Although in essence, this is a engineering role, but they did ask a lot about the sales which could be challenge to answer. However, they did ask any tricky questions for this role. So my suggestion is to focus on the responsibilities of this role if you proceed to the onsite interview stage   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Five case based interviews. The cases were very informal and unstructured for 3 of the interviews. The other two interviews had structured, consulting type, cases. I think it depends on the interviewer. I was unsuccessful to convert this opportunity. The most disappointing part was, they didn't give me any (absolutely none) feedback.

Interview Questions
    • No surprise questions, I expected most behavioural questions. The cases made the most difference.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google.

One of the best hiring processes I've been through, it'll help a lot if you have an internal recommendation. In Australia the response time is pretty slow for most roles but the person I dealt with was quick, kept me informed and really tried to help

Interview Questions
    • Technical skill is a must for this role. You're leading a team of dev's and you have to be able to not just keep up on a technical level but you need to be out ahead of them in terms of vision and to do that you need to have the technical base. Even though I have a Software Dev. degree, the fact that I hadn't worked in the field in a technical capacity meant that I ended up pulling out of the process once I understood the detail because I don't have the technical chops. Credit to Google for looking at me in the first place and for making it a pleasant process even though I didn't get there...   Answer Question

Enterprise Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2013.

Standard telephone screening followed by an invitation for a personal interview.
    Interview was with two people. First interviewer came too late and talked too much. Barely time left (due to strict schedule) for me to answer any question or ask questions.
    Second interview started 15min late and same situation. Rushed through a set of questions. Interviewer was noticeable uncomfortable/unhappy with his task.
    Overall a very disappointing experience, did expect a much better time planning and interview situation in general.

Interview Questions
    • Name a competitor to Google who failed in the market.
      What would you have done differently to succeed.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter from google india. Had 2 phone interviews. But the recruitment process was really slow and the recruiter replied very late. i got the last reply after 4 months of the 2nd phone interview. It was really frustrating to wait for such a long period..

Interview Questions
    • There are n integers in disk. Memory has m space. how to sort the data efficiently.   View Answers (2)

Account Strategist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

The hiring and interview process in Google is long. Like seriously long, depends on the job. You have to go through at least 5 - 6 interviews.

Interview Questions

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!