Google

1,050 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,050 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

They approached me via linkedin.
Initial phone interview to prove I am a human and prepared to relocate.
Several days later, a remote online coding interview via a shared google doc page and Skype.
A week later, a full-day onsite, 4 hour-long sessions plus lunch.
A week later, the notification of offer

Interview Questions
  • An unexpected operation on a nominated data structure — the particulars would be different for each candidate.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Recruiter called and managed a phone interview. The interview started with 15 min delay, and the voice was not clear. However, the question was very interesting and I enjoyed the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Phone screening plus three technical phone interviews. The phone screening consisted of some basic problems, the technical phone interviews were some more complex problems that usually involved some algorithmic analysis. After you pass the technical interviews, you are short-listed into their intern pool, from which they select some (?) of the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Find the longest subsequence of duplicate numbers in an array of sorted numbers.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in March 2014.

The first phone interview consists of making the interviewee comfortable with some banter.
    Then Some technical questions which lead into a coding question in a google doc.
    Once finished you should walk through one or two sample questions.

Don't fret if you don't know a library name, but get the syntax of your language correct.
    Make sure you have a solid knowledge of basic data structures and algorithms.
    Always cater for corner cases.
    Knowing about how threadding and distributed computing is always a benefit, but it depends largely upon your interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Code a hashmap which you would be happy to place into a production environment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

Process was expedited due to another offer. I went from a single phone interview to an inhouse interview with potential future team members. Recruiters were all helpful, and the internal company paperwork took up the majority of the process.

Have competing offers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter from google india. Had 2 phone interviews. But the recruitment process was really slow and the recruiter replied very late. i got the last reply after 4 months of the 2nd phone interview. It was really frustrating to wait for such a long period..

Interview Questions
    • There are n integers in disk. Memory has m space. how to sort the data efficiently.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in October 2012.

Contacted by recruiter for a initial phone interview. Later a week, i got a call from a person in Google sydney office. He was very polite and trying to get best out of me by giving hints. Interview went well. One puzzle and one simple problem. I used java to solve it. But later one week, they had mentioned, though interviewer were impressed with your accomplishments, they felt my experience was not strong match for current requirement.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose that you earn 100% annual interest (APY) on $1 initial deposit. How long before you'll be as rich as Bill Gates ($63 billion)?

Given a number, e.g., 314159, as an array [3,1,4,1,5,9], increment it: change it to [3,1,4,1,6,0].

View Answers (11)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in April 2011.

The interview process usually consists of 2 phone interviews and 4 onsite interviews. Additionally I have done two post onsite phone interviews. The latter interviews were focused on scalability questions and coding skills. The process was quite good. Recruiters were responsive and supportive. Generally Google test three areas: Algorithms, Scalability and Coding. I have got positive feedback on Algorithms and Scalability. The negative part was the Coding skills part.

Interview Questions
    • C++ versus Java.
      Reverse a singly lined list.

View Answers (3)
    • How to add a counter to www.google.com to track the billionth user.   View Answers (4)
    • You have a 64bit interger counter set to 0. How long it will take to overflow the counter given that you are incrementing it at 4Ghz speed.   View Answers (7)
    • Comparisons of trees and hash tables.
      What are the tradeoffs of using one versus another.

View Answers (2)
    • Quickly estimate 2^64 without using a pen/papar.   View Answers (7)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2011.

I was contacted in September via linkedin. I sent the recruiter my CV and haven't heard from them for a month. After contacting them again the recruiter scheduled me for a phone screening. Just a week after the first phone screening I was scheduled for another one which I took a month later. Both phone screenings lasted exactly 1 hour. On the phone I talked to junior/average Engineers, who asked quite simple questions about Data Structures. After the second interview I was invited for the 1:1 meeting. Again there were some delays in organising the interview and I ended up going to Sydney in January.

I was interviewed by 4 people, with increasing difficulty. The questions weren't too hard, consisting of coding, estimation and design questions. I did struggle in understanding a simple question and ended up spending a lot of time discussing the task. The impression from the interview was good, but two weeks later I got a rejection. No information was provided.

Generally, you need to prepare for the interview in overall. Don't just focus on learning algorithms. Rehearse behavioural parts before going to the 1:1.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the total storage size of GMAIL   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in June 2008.

There were 3 interviews scheduled in the morning. The flight from Melbourne to Sydney was also booked for the same morning. The flight got delayed and I reached Sydney only at the time the interview was to start. I reached their office which was very difficult to locate as it was on the top floor of a building with IBM on it.
    Interviews were doable, but I was exhausted after having woken up really early and not having eaten much in the flight and having had to rush from the airport. First interview was really bad as I had a tough time concentrating. After lunch there were 2 more interviews and I did well in bot of them. But I knew I had blown it with the first one. I didn't know they had a policy of flying people in the previous evening for early morning interviews. Kinda felt cheated.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse the bits in a 32 bit integer. Write C code for that.   View Answer
    • Non programming. The mouse in the maze problem. Shortest paths to reach outside.   Answer Question
    • Given a web system which gets disconnected, how would you debug it. Also where would you add resources to maximise throughput given some constraints.   Answer Question
    • Given a statement which took an integer, incremented it by 1 and then branched to another location which you provide, implement addition of two numbers multiplication, etc using just that statement (or command).   Answer Question