Grant Thornton Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

2.7

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

1st round on campus, final round at NY offices. General behavioral questions. 2nd round had 3 separate interviews, each 30 minutes long.

Associate Interview

Campus interview which was all behavioral, then in the office for 3 thirty minute grill sessions from two managers and the practice partner. Pretty standard stuff, just a resume run through, career motivations, what you think you can do to add value to client work, etc. No business case or brain teasers.

Interview Questions
    No real wiggle room without another offer in hand

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

First I had an on campus 1:1, then on site for 3 1:1's. Everyone was very nice, and focused mostly on interpersonal skills, with a bit of technical questioning. The offer was made promptly after the interview cycle, within a week or so. Plenty of transparency throughout.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer tried to drill in to a past experience, drawing parallels to the new position.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

In house interview lasted about 20-25 minutes and was a mix of small talk, questions like why accounting?, why Grant Thornton? why Vancouver?.. etc. Second round was a cooking class with roughly 30 other applicants. We cooked food in groups of 5, then ate the food in a business casual setting. No offer but was told I'm still in the running.

Business Advisory Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I received an interview call through my interaction with GT professionals at a Career fair

Interview Questions
    • The first round of interview was behavioral interview and I was asked number of "Tell me a time when..." questions. Also, some time was spent on resume based questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2014.

Spoke with national recruiter, and was set up with phone interview in about a month. Phone interview was pretty standard. No unexpected questions. Be prepared to answer why GT specifically, and the specific line of business within GT you are looking in. Make sure to do research on the company, as well. Know your resume very well, and have talking points beforehand.

Accounting Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2014.

Called on phone after on line application. Set up interview, conducted interview. Told me that another person would call, never happened. Emailed later that that person was unavailable. They sounded interested but waited over 2+ weeks to send request for information regarding very specific experience in reference to a new government program. I could have provided the information, but the job had a shelf life of 2 years, decided that it wasn't worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly just chit chat, nothing technical or based upon my resume.   Answer Question

CARS Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in December 2013.

My situation will not be the same as yours so this question is irrelevant. I got this positon in the most non-traditional manner.

Interview Questions
    • wasnt the questions, it was the quality of responses that were expected. It could of been as mundane as what do you do in your free time? if you anwsered biking, tanning, and skeeball, that was the wrong anwser. They want very detailed responses tha thighlight your chacter.   Answer Question
    short quick and easy.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I submitted my application through my university job board and it took about 2 weeks to hear back. I attended a pre-interview reception the day before my interview and got to talk to many current GT employees. The interview was mostly behavioral and laid back, but you could tell they wanted accounting students over finance students which makes perfect sense.

BAS Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I first want to say that Grant Thornton is an amazing place to start or continue your career. The people are so great and the work creates extreme personal and professional growth.

I initially was given a referral and received a phone call from a recruiter at Grant Thornton. We had the phone interview then, and some questions along the line of "Tell me about a time when something unexpected happened and what you did?". Also was asked to describe a time when I worked in a team and there was friction. After that phone interview, I scheduled an on-site visit for about 2 weeks later.

The on-site visit was great. I interviewed with 2 different managers and was asked mainly why I want to work for Grant Thornton and why I want to get into consulting. I was also asked about what specific types of consulting I want to get into. I was taken out to lunch with 3 other employees and everything went well. After that interview, I was called about a week later and told that everyone really liked me, but there was no budget to bring me on at that time and I would be called back when something opened up.

About 3 months later I was called by the same recruiter to set up another on-site interview with 3 different managers. This office visit was also great. I was taken out to dinner the night before the interview with 2 associates, 1 manager, and 1 other person that was interviewing. The interview the next day was great. I met so many different employees and everyone is extremely personable. I interviewed with 3 different managers and was called the next business day with an offer.

My biggest advise is to understand your personal and professional goals and how they line up with Grant Thornton has to offer. Grant Thornton highly values its culture and the "fit" with an employee. Before my interviews, read a book on how to more effectively answer interview questions, how to ask better interview questions, and I came onto this website, took every question I could find, and made sure I had an answer for every one of them. I also knew my resume very well and was able to explain everything on it. Be sure you have questions to ask the person interviewing you. Try to customize them too and not have them be the very general questions like "can you describe a typical day". Most of all, be yourself and get to know the people you will be working with.

Interview Questions
    I am currently negotiating moving expenses, however the salary offer is very competitive.