Grant Thornton

Updated 7 Dec 2014
Updated 7 Dec 2014

2.7

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

After speaking to recruiters at the my school's career fair, I applied to the Advisory Associate's position through my schools career website. I received an email 2 weeks later to schedule an on campus interview. The day of my interview, I was greeted by recently hired associates who socialized with the interview candidates. The process itself consisted of 2 back-to-back, half hour interviews. One was with a senior manager and the other was with a manager. There were specific questions about experiences on my resume as well as behavioral interview questions.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

The initial communication and discussions were well scheduled and the cadence was fast paced. Then interview fatigue set in, interview after interview was scheduled, asking for more time away from current job. Where GT falls down is feedback, follow up and follow through. Unresponsive was the reaction that I got, unanswered emails, unreturned voicemail messages, indications of availability and when the hiring manager was contacted, no answer. I am an adult, I am well versed at receiving feedback, but give it straigh away, don't hide and ignore people...that will tarnish your brand and harm your image for sure! If you are looking for more of the lackluster treatment that you receive working for the big 4, try this company on for size...ranked #5 and they wonder why! Their candidate experience ranks pretty low in my mind. I actually liked most of the people that I interacted with, but thankfully I got to see this hiring managers true colors before putting the brakes on the entire process and withdrawing. As an experienced professional, it's not worth my time to constantly be chasing people for answers...there are plenty of places to work that actually care about the people they interview and hire.

Business Advisory Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

Started off with an on-campus career fair. From there I got invited to a pre-interview dinner where you were able to network with past interns and current staff. It was a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere that wasn't intimidating at all. The next morning, those who were invited had an on-campus interview that was essentially your standard behavioral interview. All of the core questions were there. The interviewer for me was young and did a really good job at making the interview flow easily. After that I waited about a week and half before I heard from the main campus recruiter. She invited me to an office visit (Chicago Office) with final round interviews being conducted there as well. It spanned over two days. The first evening we were all taken to dinner downtown, where again, we were able to network and speak with current staff at the Grant Thornton office in Chicago. You then went back to the hotel they put you up in for the night. The following morning we were taken to the Chicago office where we had breakfast and a presentation. After this, the interviewees were broken up into their respective fields (BAS, Tax, Audit) and we learned a little more about what went on there. After that, you then went on to do two separate interviews which were largely behavioral based with one or two generic technicals. After this, we got lunch with some of the younger employees who were still recent to Grant Thornton and talked with them. That was pretty much it for the day.
    I ended up getting an offer about two weeks later, and was called by employees from the office in addition to my email.

None.

Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

Overall pretty simple process applied by school carrer management got an email with an on campus interview. Had 2 40 minute interviews. Got another email for a office interview, i went had another 2 interviews with a couple of partners and got the call back for an offer within 2 day

Interview Questions
    Didn't negotiate thought the offer was good considering I have no experience

Tax Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

Superday where you have 3 interviews including a break and lunch. You are assigned a visit buddy who is a recent hire associate who takes you to your interviews. Everyone was very friendly and the process was not intimidating at all.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to go against a set criteria, why you did so and what was the result.   View Answer

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

The hiring process was through the university and took about 5 to 6 weeks.

There was an accounting fair where a whole range of accounting firms were present from Big 4 to small, local firms. I met with a managing director and a partner of the firm. They were very nice and I enjoyed their company.

There were also several events where we met with other professionals of the firm. I had my first round of interviews at the university for about 30 minutes. I met with a manager. He was very professional and we spoke about a variety of topics about myself, my resume, both of our experiences.

The second round interviews were at the office. We had a pre-interview social. I met with other professionals of the firm, as well. The next day were office interviews and lunch. I had two office interviews, both 30 minutes. I interviewed with a partner and director of the firm. Both of them went very well. It was certainly more relaxed and talking more about myself, my resume, and experiences. After the interviews, we went out to lunch with two professionals of the firm. It was a great experience and learned more about the firm through their experiences. They said that offers would be sent out the following week. However, I received notice of my offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Nothing that is out of the ordinary.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Co-op Accountant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I first had a mock interview with the recruiter organized through my university. Later, I was contacted by a staff accountant to do a telephone interview, a couple weeks later I was arranged to do another interview with both a senior manager and partner.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very basic, but the second interview was more tailored to resume and coverletter   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in September 2014.

I went through the campus website as well as their own to apply and got a 1st round interview. During the first round, I got an interviewer who looked like she didn't want to be there in the first place. She wasn't very friendly nor was she the best interviewer.

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in September 2014.

Group interview, followed by HR interview, followed by Partner Interview. Very standard within the accounting industry. Although Hong Kong is particularly competitive even outside of Big 4 firms. The group interview question was particularly tough because it was asking about the current political situation in Hong Kong. Everyone was asked to give their opinion and join in a group conversation. It would be difficult to participate if you do not keep up with current events or your general knowledge is not broad enough.

Interview Questions
    • Please comment on the current Political situation of Hong Kong and give us your thoughts and opinions.   Answer Question

Tax Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Grant Thornton in September 2014.

Interviewers were extremely pleasant. The whole process was very relaxed and casual. GT seemed to emphasize the team culture and work atmosphere as their strongest point. Most of the questions were focused on team skills and past experiences involving team involvement. In comparison to the Big 4 interviews, the interview with GT was very relaxed and overall more enjoyable. For the position being interviewed, they also stressed the importance of analytical skills along with client relationship building.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine that you were given a die with 6 sides to roll X number of times. At some point whiling rolling, the die was secretly switched out with a loaded die that would double the chances to land on 1, 2, and 3. At what point while rolling would you notice that the die was loaded?   Answer Question