Grant Thornton, LLP

160 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP.

Interview Details I submitted my application through my university job board and it took about 2 weeks to hear back. I attended a pre-interview reception the day before my interview and got to talk to many current GT employees. The interview was mostly behavioral and laid back, but you could tell they wanted accounting students over finance students which makes perfect sense.

Interview Question – No difficult questions..just a review of my resume   Answer Question

BAS Associate Interview

BAS Associate
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP.

Interview Details I first want to say that Grant Thornton is an amazing place to start or continue your career. The people are so great and the work creates extreme personal and professional growth.

I initially was given a referral and received a phone call from a recruiter at Grant Thornton. We had the phone interview then, and some questions along the line of "Tell me about a time when something unexpected happened and what you did?". Also was asked to describe a time when I worked in a team and there was friction. After that phone interview, I scheduled an on-site visit for about 2 weeks later.

The on-site visit was great. I interviewed with 2 different managers and was asked mainly why I want to work for Grant Thornton and why I want to get into consulting. I was also asked about what specific types of consulting I want to get into. I was taken out to lunch with 3 other employees and everything went well. After that interview, I was called about a week later and told that everyone really liked me, but there was no budget to bring me on at that time and I would be called back when something opened up.

About 3 months later I was called by the same recruiter to set up another on-site interview with 3 different managers. This office visit was also great. I was taken out to dinner the night before the interview with 2 associates, 1 manager, and 1 other person that was interviewing. The interview the next day was great. I met so many different employees and everyone is extremely personable. I interviewed with 3 different managers and was called the next business day with an offer.

My biggest advise is to understand your personal and professional goals and how they line up with Grant Thornton has to offer. Grant Thornton highly values its culture and the "fit" with an employee. Before my interviews, read a book on how to more effectively answer interview questions, how to ask better interview questions, and I came onto this website, took every question I could find, and made sure I had an answer for every one of them. I also knew my resume very well and was able to explain everything on it. Be sure you have questions to ask the person interviewing you. Try to customize them too and not have them be the very general questions like "can you describe a typical day". Most of all, be yourself and get to know the people you will be working with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I am currently negotiating moving expenses, however the salary offer is very competitive.

Advisory Associate Interview

Advisory Associate
New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP.

Interview Details Campus recruiting. Three weeks later had an office visit. Was given an offer a week later.

Interview Question – Interviews were all behavioral based, typical questions   Answer Question

Audit Intern Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details Started the interview process on campus at a recruiting fair, was then invited by the firm for an on campus interview with alumni employees. after this was then invited to the firm for a day of three interviews with partner manager and HR. Overall was a very smooth and easy process and the firm did a great job of making everyone feel comfortable

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time where you were supposed to lead a team but then failed and how did you respond to this failure   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation its a set rate

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate
New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP.

Interview Details I went through campus recruiting. I wanted to work in the NYC office, but had to go through my local office's recruitment and then receive a referral to NYC. I did not go to any GT events on campus, I stopped by their tabling once, and spoke with the recruiter at the career fair. Selected for an on campus interview.

The night before the interview GT had a social as all the accounting firms do. The social consisted for an hour and a half scavenger hunt, then a hour and a half social. I don't know what student has three hours to fork over in the middle of the week. I did not attend the scavenger hunt but went to the social. Laugh and talked with the recruiter briefly, a staff member extensively and she introduced me to a partner in the service line I wanted to work. He and I spoke about accounting, the position and then general things. The day of the interview I will be honest, I was like 30 mins late! However, they made me feel very welcomed, and assured me that it was okay. (Really great people). The interview was brief since I was so late! Asked me about my resume, why I wanted to work in NYC. Maybe a week later received an email congratulating me on receiving an office visit to GT NYC.

Office visit:

All the interviewees (like 30 of us) were first waiting in the lobby wondering what was happening. We were finally lead to a big conference room with goody bags, and assigned seats. After we walked around the room (mind you there are like 30 of us, the two recruiters, and the 30 office buddies all in this one big conference room) looking for our seat as the same time our office buddy was looking for us. The recruiters were frantically trying to pass out each interviewee's interview schedule. As all of this is going on you have to opportunity to grab some breakfast and talk to your buddy for a little bit. A partner comes in talks about how great GT has been for him. He came Anderson blah, blah, blah.

After the presentation my buddy and I were off to my first interview, we laughed and talked a little bit, asked him some questions about what he does, how he likes it etc.

Had three interviews, a manager, a senior manager and a partner. Besides the partner, the interviewers had only worked there less than a year. My office buddy actually cracked a joke to another staff member that the guy who was listed on my interview schedule as a senior manager definitely was not a senior manager.

Interviews were basic behavioral, resume and general questions, made sure to ask questions about their position and the firm. Interviews weren't bad at all. 30 mins each, very conversational.

After interview went to lunch with my buddy plus 4 others. Went to a Kosher restaurant that was pretty good. Had some pretty good convo, everyone seemed exactly the same and I was nothing like them. They all seemed like Big Four rejects, not saying this to be disrespectful or insult, but that is the feeling I received.

A little over two weeks later I receive an email that I have an offer. I am declining. The NYC office is nothing like my local GT office. If I had previous exposure to the NYC office, I would have not applied. Seems very disorganized, and very second best. The people were nice that I met, some really great people! But I know recruiting is supposed to paint a picture of the ideal office and in my mind if this chaotic mess is what is being put on display, I can only imagine what the actual work like is like, No thank you.

Interview Question – "Do you want to work on individual?" I said "No, more corporate" He replies "But I thought you wanted to work in financial services not corporate." (In my mind I already knew this place is not for me)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Overall unprofessional, seems like a fallback plan more than a career goal. Not for me, but very great people.

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP.

Interview Details I had lots of exposure to the company through Meet the Firms and Beta Alpha Psi events. The first interview was a 1:1 on campus interview. The second interview consisted of 3 - 1:1 in office interviews with 2 partners and 1 senior manager. Group lunch after the office interviews, 2 candidates and 3 associates. Received an offer within 2 days of second interview.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time in which you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision.   Answer Question

Global Public Sector Interview

Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details A single behavior interview, lasted about an hour. No case questions, mostly a resume walk through and maybe 2-3 situational type questions. Generally very easygoing, was not expecting for the interview to be so relaxed. The Global Public Sector position works almost entirely as a federal contractor, so show some interest in working with different government departments.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time where you had to stand up against your group or team.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP.

Interview Details Campus interviews

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you realized you made a mistake and had to correct it. How did you handle it and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nonexistent. Take it or leave it.

Business Advisory Services, Associate Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton, LLP in November 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process for Grant Thornton consisted of two rounds and a pre-interview dinner. The first round, in my situation, was at the Grant Thornton office; 30 mins with a Principal. Questions were mostly behavioral. It is pretty much a pre-screening of how you would mesh with the company. If you're a good fit, GT will extend an invitation for the final round interview along with an invitation to the pre-interview dinner. The dinner is fun! Candidates get to mingle and get to know the partners, directors, or senior managers that they will be potentially interviewing with. They do ask questions during the dinner so be prepared to answer. Then comes the final round. The final round is a 4-5 hr process. It consist of 3 interviews; partners or directors, senior manager, manager. Again, don't be timid; the GT culture is exactly everything you've been reading and hearing; assuming research about the firm has been conducted. Overall, GT was a good experience.

Interview Question – What was the toughest question you've encountered thus far in the interviewing process?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation.

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate
Philadelphia, PA (US)

Interview Details I applied through my university's career services site. There was a 30 minute interview with a partner on campus. Very laid back, asked mostly about my Resume and why Grant Thornton. I heard back within a week and had 2nd round interviews in the office. There were 3 interviews, with a staff employee, manager and partner. Everyone was really nice. I heard back the next day. Just be yourself and ASK GOOD QUESTIONS!

Interview Question – 1. If you were the lead on a GT task force to increase business, how would you go about this and how would you deal with the increasing competition?

2. Name a time when you worked in a team and you have some difficulties and how did you overcome it.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very competitive salary and nice benefits.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Grant Thornton, LLP