H E B

151 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in July 2010.

Interview Details The interview was very casual. I had my interview in the break room and the interview asked the basic questions. Such as, experience with customers and examples of my work ethic.

Interview Question – None were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

Interviewed at H E B

Interview Details 5 minutes of situational question. instances where you didnt get along with someone and how to managed anyway. they just want to get to know you and see if you will be a slow worker

Interview Question – last conflict you had and how you resolved it   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details Easy, but must have open availability to get hired faster. They're looking for customer service oriented people. Tell them what they want to hear with ways you exhibit those qualities.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you handled a difficult upset customer situation...   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – None. Standard wages.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Pharmacy Technician

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details After I turned in my application, I got a call about a week or two later for an interview. It was a one on one interview that lasted about 20-25 minutes. I got a call back about two weeks after that to offer me the position.

Interview Question – How have you gone above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Checker Interview

Checker
Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in July 2014.

Interview Details The first interview was the phone interview - a manager will call and ask basic interview questions. Answer the questions the best you can and if they like you, they'll ask you to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview, we all sat in a semi-circle facing four managers who would later on decide who stays and who goes. The first thing we did was a little "about me" activity where we would have to present ourselves to the panel of managers and other applicants. Next, we were partnered up and did a "sell me this product" activity. You were given a random product and had to sell the product the best you could. The last activity we did was a hypothetical scenario reenactment. Each applicant was given a random scenario and was told to read it and explain/act out how they would solve the problem at hand. All in all, the group interview was surprisingly very fun. Just don't be shy, and don't be scared to get out of your comfort zone.

The final interview is a 1:1 with the UD. My UD was very laid back and seemed cool. He is the final person between you and your future career at HEB. I was asked about 10 basic interview questions. It was really easy and simple. None of the questions took me longer than 3 seconds to think about. At the end, if he likes you, you're a "GO". Be comfortable and make sure to be truthful. Bring a resume just in case!

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at H-E-B?

Why should I hire you? (And not somebody else)
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. A base salary was set and started filling out paperwork.

Deli Manager Interview

Deli Manager
Houston, TX (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at H E B in October 2011.

Interview Details I was an internal so it was your basic group interview with all sorts of store directors, HR managers, etc. Final interview was with the Regional Merchant. The process wasn't too complicated but there are a lot of people applying for the same position.

Interview Question – I don't remember any of the questions being too hard to answer. Learning HEB's acronyms for everything will be a challenge though.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They don't really negotiate unless you're an external applicant.

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 5 months - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details From the time of the application was submitted to the first interview was two months. First interview was with a human resource representative. Next interview was a month later and was a group interview. There were three more interviews over the next two months. Total time took five months.

Interview Question – What was a time you followed standard company procedures even though others wanted you to take a shortcut?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Tam Leader Interview

Tam Leader

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details Intense. They didn't care if you knew the job description, just that they liked you. Everyone was very nice, but only one person explained the job. Be prepared to move around.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at HEB?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple. I asked when I can start.

Finance Analyst - Operations - HEB Headquarters Interview

Finance Analyst - Operations - HEB Headquarters
San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at H E B in June 2014.

Interview Details Contacted by HR after filling out a lengthy job application on their website. The application also asked to fill out an assessment, which took about 20-30 minutes. Contacted about 20-30 days after filling out the job application. I was initially contacted by someone in HR who asked general questions. He then emailed 7 days later to request a 'conference call via skype' interview with hiring manager.
Interview with hiring manager and potential co-worker was mostly to get to know each other and figure out if there was a culture fit. They also asked about previous work experience and examples.

After my interview with them, NO FURTHER replies or feedback after multiple attempts, from either the hiring manager or the HR contact. Very typical of unprofessional HR organizations

Interview Question – Interview was done via Skype, so I had to setup an account to be able to have the interview.   Answer Question

Shelf Edge Specialist Interview

Shelf Edge Specialist
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at H E B in August 2012.

Interview Details Online application. Was called for a group interview with about a dozen other people. Asked to draw a picture of ourselves in the position we would like to have. Asked which department we would NOT like to work in and why. Put in groups of 4-5 and given a variety of grocery items to choose from with the task of coming up with a Combo Loco deal (ie buy these items, get these items free) and then had to 'sell' our deal to them. Called later the same day to set up an interview with department manager and store director.

Interview Question – Tell them a time when I had made a mistake at work, and what I did to fix it   Answer Question

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!