HSBC Holdings

Updated 21 Jan 2015
Updated 21 Jan 2015

2.9

Graduate Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HSBC Holdings.

3 individual interviews including one case study interview and two business interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The greatest challenge you have faced and how do you addressed it.   Answer Question

Spring Insight IB Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at HSBC Holdings.

1. Online stage: basic personal info, CV/CL, competency questions - pretty same as on telephone interview so will be stated furter
    2. Online numerical/reasoning tests
    3. Telephone interview (20-30 min): 4-5 questions with 5 min for every answer. Questions: 1) Tell us about a time when you invited or encouraged others to offer a different perspective or opinion in order to deliver a better solution. 2) Please explain what self-development opportunities you've taken advantage of during your university years to make yourself more employable in the job market. 3) Please detail three non-academic achievements / extracurricular activities you are particularly proud of and give your reasons why. 4) Please describe your motivation for wishing to work for HSBC and your chosen business area. Outline the key skills you possess that would make you a suitable candidate. In your answer we will be looking for clear evidence of motivation. 5) How is your hero and why.
    4. Office interview

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was about my hero, because It was unexpected question so it took some time to choose the person I would be talking about.   Answer Question

Analyst Developer Interview

The first step is to have an online aptitude test. Then, a phone interview in English was conducted. After that, a programming test(Java, C++, VB) was followed.
    Finally, a face-to-face interview was followed and it was the last process of the hiring.

Summer Interview

Fill the online application, there are 5 short essay questions:
    1. Please detail three non-academic achievements / extracurricular activities you are particularly proud of and give your reasons why.
    2.Please describe your motivation for wishing to work for HSBC and your chosen business area. Outline the key skills you possess that would make you a suitable candidate. In your answer we will be looking for clear evidence of motivation.
    (250 words max)
    3.Please describe a situation when you actively challenged someone about a decision or an action you felt was wrong for the wider team's success. (Describe the situation, your actions and the end result).
    (250 words max)
    4.Tell us about a time when you invited or encouraged others to offer a different perspective or opinion in order to deliver a better solution. (Describe the situation, your actions and the end result).
    (250 words max)
    5.Please explain what self-development opportunities you've taken advantage of during your university years to make yourself more employable in the job market.
    (250 words max)
    Then there was online numerical test, relatively easy.
    Telephone interview last around 30 mins; some questions I rmb:
    Why global market? why HSBC?
     What the world will look like in 2050?

HSBC's values?
    Career goal in 5 years time?
    recent financial news that interest you.

Relationship Banker Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HSBC Holdings.

First,interview:introduce yourself and work experience;why leaving the last company;your advanture;role play the product with branch manager;how to manage your time on work;how to expand your business;test of the language.Second,if you pass the interview,HR will call you for the second round phone interview,ask your experice,your expect,tell you the salary,and you can negociate it if you are confident.Then next step is give you the final salary and offer

Interview Questions
    • role play the education insurance with the branch manager,talk about the lastest market events,what's the relevent about our products;   View Answer

Retail Banking Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

This was my first telephone interview with HSBC, it materialized after having passed the numerical reasoning and the logic test. They came back to me rather quickly after having done the online tests which is a massive bonus, some companies don't get back to you for a good 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • It is a very easy and straightforward interview, they ask you about your motivations, what difficulties you are expecting, and what you can bring to the table   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

First submit CV and then aptitude tests (verbal & numerical). Not difficult.
    After that, there will be an HR interview who will ask you preferences regarding to departments and behavior questions and value questions.
    The final interview will be with the manager of the department you are allocated to.

Interview Questions
    • Basically there are no unexpected questions. Just be prepared with behavior questions and know the company background.   Answer Question

Assistant Vice President/Financial Crimes Compliance Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview process took over 4 months. As I did not use a headhunter, I dealt directly with the HR consultants HSBC uses. They were polite, friendly and very informative. Delays were a result of significant waiting from outside the team for internal approvals. I interviewed first with HR as a screen, then phone interview with head of Team, then in-person group interview with head of Team and second in charge followed by phone interview with global head of Team.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were focused on my experiences and background as opposed to standard interview questions.   Answer Question
    There was very little negotiation. I was asked what salary I needed to accept and that was what was ultimately offered.

Assessment Centre - Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HSBC Holdings in December 2014.

Standard process for Investment Banking application. First apply online and then you may be invited to an assessment centre which consists of:
    Numerical Test
    1 Motivational Interview
    2 Business Interviews
    1 Case study presentation

Generally, there are around 15 candidate at the assessment centre, and I have been told by HR that they run just 1 AC per desk. Successful candidate are around 25% of AC candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding the Case study. Very commercial-oriented and not so finance-oriented.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HSBC Holdings in December 2014.

Simple but long and tedious process - after submitting the application you get an invite to complete a numerical online test. After passing this, you have to complete an additional logical online test. Then I had a telephone interview which was easy enough, they mainly asked me the standard questions such as Why HSBC, why this program etc. After that, you have to do yet another online Situation Judgement test, and you may or may not get invited to a face-to face interview afterwards (I wasn't), or just get the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you delivered excellent customer service.   Answer Question