Hot Topic Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
78 interviews

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

The interview was extremely informal and was really a test of if you are hip and know pop culture. The first interview is a group interview, so be prepared. They most certainly are looking for teenagers and young adults to fill their positions. I'm in my twenties and lost out to a bunch of high school kids that looked very new to the interview process. Wear the product, know the product, and act young and hip and you should be fine.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bismarck, ND (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bismarck, ND (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call for an interview about 5-6 days later. I went in and the interview was very low-key and not stressful at all. Besides questions about my work ethic and customer service, I was also asked about my favorite licensed characters featured in the store, along with my favorite band and a few questions about how I would promote those things if I needed to. I was immediately given a second interview and was hired about 2 days later over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best customer service experience you've had?   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Whitehall, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehall, PA (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

Wear anything you want, i was stressing out about what to wear. Honestly plain jeans black shoes and a black tshirt will do fine. I applied in the store, got a call 2 weeks later for an interview. I was told I got the job during the interview. I was expecting a group interview but was very happy to see it was just me and the manager. Tips for group interviews, make sure you answer the questions first. You want to sound upbeat and excited.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions, Why do you want to work for hot topic? Dont worry if you dont listen to rock or metal bands but just make sure you know what they sell in the store   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation. Minimum wage no matter how much experience you have, but the employee discount is awesome 40% off

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Wasn't like any interview I've ever been in. Very rushed and felt like the interview didn't really matter. Like they already had who the wanted and nothing I said made a difference.

Interview Questions
    • There was really no questions. Just asked why I wanted the job.   Answer Question

Full Time Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

I applied online from their website and got a call back from the store manager within a week. We scheduled a same day interview. The store manager was laid back and easy to talk to. We went over my management history, why I was looking for a new job, and why I chose to apply at Hot Topic. He asked mostly scenario based questions which needed examples of when/why/how something occurred. We then set up an interview time with the DM for later that week.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most recent risk you've taken? It wasn't difficult, just unexpected.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Saw a sign saying the store was hiring so I went in and the manager printed out an application for me. I filled it out and returned it same-day, and immediately was able to schedule for an interview 2 days later. Took 2 weeks to get a call-back for a group interview. The group interview consisted of being in the store & greeting customers for ~30 minutes with 3 other people in my int. group. About a week & a half later, the manager called asking me to come in a couple days later to talk about my availability. First shift was a few days later. The one on one interview was very casual, with a lot of standard corporate-made questions. Group interview was easy as well.

No negotiation

Store Manager Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Three interviews, two with district manager, and one with regional manager. Overall easy process, skype and phone interviews. Lots of details about job description and goals for location. Annual visits and one on ones are frequent. During skype interviewing they are looking for your reaction to certain questions and workload related descriptions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between selling and customer service? Do you like when someone tries to sell you something? What kind of leader are you?   Answer Question
    look into cost of living, make sure to get a fair rate for location and volume especially if you have experience.

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Two interviews, one with the store manger and the second with a district manager. They kept communication with me as easy as possible and made sure I was comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were really casual and they wanted to know more about my personality.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  City of Industry, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Applied online. HR emailed me two weeks later with a very casual and friendly request to discuss my candidacy. Very upbeat and "cool" but professional conversation lasted around 45 min. I was told all about the company culture, the manager's personality and background, the reason the position was open, and a long list of employee perks. Next phone interview with hiring decision maker was arranged for first thing the next morning. That conversation lasted an hour. Directly following that, extensive arrangements were made to meet me in person (from out of town) for the following week. At the HQ, I met HR, managers, directors, and other team members for an in-depth 6 hour marathon day including one-on-one interviews, a tour of the office, in depth explanation of company culture, individual team member working styles, department projects, challenges, short and long term goals. After six hours, the interviews ended when the office began to close for the day. I was told at that time that they were still scheduling other candidates. I was given a 2-week anticipatory decision date. Three weeks after my meetings I was emailed a short note simply indicating they went with another candidate. No detail as to how my candidacy compared, or acknowledging the length and extent they had gone to get to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Although no one question stands out as difficult or unexpected, the marathon length of the interview was unprecedented.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Printed the application online and filled out as much as possible and took it in store. Wasn't expecting to immediately get an interview, but I was asked a few general questions and then told I had an interview in a week! Both took place in store. The first interview I was asked some pretty vague questions and that's what made them hard to answer, but the more personal questions were the easiest. They basically want to make sure you will know what to do if someone is stealing and that you have selling skills to sell as much merchandise as possible. After about twenty minutes of questions I was asked to pick out an outfit for a customer without knowing anything about them in less than 4 minutes, then give an explanation for the clothes I picked. After that I was told my 2nd interview was in another week. It wasn't very difficult, I was just nervous and they were really busy so you've got to stay focused. The 2nd one was even more pleasant, I was asked more personal questions to get to know me, and asked generally "why should we pick you" questions. I really like the team and it was a fun and positive experience. The bad news is that if I am lucky enough to be one of the people they choose, they won't be hiring for at least a month and it will be seasonal. Still, I'm excitedly waiting to hear back with fingers crossed that I'll get the job!

Interview Questions
    • An unexpected question was "What inspires your personal fashion?" and the hardest was "What merchandise will be the most difficult for you to sell?"   Answer Question

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!