IATA

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Ground Operations Audit Interview

Intern Ground Operations Audit

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IATA in March 2014.

Interview Details There were four stages of the interview. FIrst one - phone conversation like "why us", "what do you know about us" etc. Secon - skype interview, took like 40 min, a bit more detailed, more about company, about relations with ICAO etc. Third - online interpersonal skills test. Forth - refference check.

Interview Question – What is the difference between ICAO and IATA - in relation to who they are related to, and on what terms work they do.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I managed to find another, permanent job long before whole process ended.

Safety Interview

Safety
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IATA in April 2010.

Interview Details I applied, they contacted me and set up an interview. There were a bunch of people, mostly women, in the open office area on the way to the interview room. One of them must have been rooting for me as she smiled broadly at me as I passed by. The interview was unremarkable enough, usual things to ask. One guy really didn't get me though, he was argumentative, and couldn't understand why I would want to leave where I was. He also must have been told at the last second that he was to be in on the interview, as he very obviously hadn't read my resume. There was also a very senior fellow and a HR lady, all of them born outside Canada, which meant that they didn't always get my background or how my employer operated. We discussed everything, money included. The dismissive fellow said that I would terribly bored and shouldn't take the job. The senior one said that it was "premature" for me to be asking if they wanted to see a portfolio of my work. They promised to call, gave me a phone extension to check with them, never told me their names, and that was it. I called a week later but was put through to a dead extension, then transferred to someone not in HR who had no idea what I was talking about. Did some research later, as I couldn't figure out why the hot/cold: old neighbour worked there, got along great, had a falling out.

Interview Question – None, all pretty standard, hard part was just connecting with them.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IATA in July 2012.

Interview Details I applied for an internship in the Amman, Jordan office after receiving a special invitation via an alumni connection at my university. A month later, I received an email reply from the alumni connection (an IATA HR staff member) informing me that the position for the internship had already been filled, but that he had looked at my resume and thought I could be a great fit for a fulltime Customer Service position.

We scheduled a skype interview and I was impressed with the HR guy's willingness to spend an hour talking with me. He even assured me that people came to IATA from all sorts of professional backgrounds, and that I should not be discouraged by my previous non-profit experience. We ended the conversation positively with the HR guy asking me to email him my university diploma and a list of references. He would forward my materials onto the team manager in Amman, who would lead the next interview.

I emailed all the requested materials and patiently waited. After a week, I followed up and the HR guy told me the team manager had a personal issue to attend to and wouldn't be working for the rest of the week. I wrote back promising to touch base the following week. I wrote a week later, no response. I wrote again the next week, no response. I wrote each week for a month before finally accepting another job offer.

As I had been essentially "recruited" from an internship application to apply for a full-time position, the experience was a let down. I just wish the HR guy could have been honest and not wasted my time if something came up to delay the process or if he wasn't seriously considering hiring me. This type of communication signals a lack of transparency and integrity.

Interview Question – We had a conversation in French.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IATA in February 2008.

Interview Details Very haphazard, disorganized and poorly administered.

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Take it or leave it.

Analyst Remittance and Settlement Interview

Analyst Remittance and Settlement
Miami, FL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IATA in January 2011.

Interview Details Same as in other jobs. Final approval comes from Geneva.

Interview Question – The psicological test from Human Capital + the test to enter each area are not easy to pass if you don't know much about the topic   View Answer

Business Development Intern Interview

Business Development Intern

Interviewed at IATA

Interview Details Initially posted my CV along with other info on their jobs website in April for a particular position but also uploaded on to their general database from where they recruit. I was refused for the position I had originally applied for but they were in touch with me at the end of May by telephone saying they woud like to conduct a telephone interview.

Interview was then carried out over the telephone, with a lady from recruitment and the gentleman I would be working with in business development. They alternated the questions; some were standard (describe a situation where you had to overcome a conflict, if you had to use three words to descirbe yourself what would they be, walk us through your cv) others were a little more specific (what are you expecting from this job, talk to us about x job experience).

All in all the interview environment was a rather relaxed one. I never felt like they were trying to test, trap, or trick me, they seemed interested in getting to know who I was, what I did in my personal life as hobbies, how I thought friends saw me. Perhaps because the internship involved working closely with the Business Development Manager they sought to discern whether my personality fit with the position.

Afterwards I was told to provide them with two references, and had to take an online values test. Not a pass or fail test, just to see how my values matched with those of IATA.

Interview Question – No business case questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Received another job offer.

Customer Services Representative Interview

Customer Services Representative
Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IATA in March 2011.

Interview Details step one: phone
step two: video conference
step three: personality/skills test
step four: 3 recommendations
step five: skills test

Intern Interview

Intern

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IATA in September 2011.

Interview Details Casual interview. Still waiting on response. Not very difficult.

Interview Question – What do I expect from this job?   Answer Question

Head of Department Interview

Head of Department
Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at IATA in January 2009.

Interview Details Approached by email with a proposal for a phone interview. Two weeks after the interview was invited to a personal interview at the offices of IATA.
Was interviewed by three people for about 90 min, and then by a panel of two people for about 30 min.
The offer was made over the phone and the letter arrived by courier.

Interview Question – IATA has a quite strange collection of values, so one of the questions was to describe how do you embrace one of he values, e.g. Speed   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The money was offered upfront and it was hard to resists a 6 digit tax free salary.

Office Boy Interview

Office Boy
Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at IATA in September 2009.

Interview Details i was selected because of height, personality qualification airline management worked travel agency and finished my IATA course, 2years diploma in college .it was good interview but no experience in airlines only in travel agency.

Worked for IATA? Contribute to the Community!