IBM

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview Details I was emailed on a Monday that I would have an interview that Friday (they would fly me to Houston Thursday night and put me up, fly me back Friday after the interview). I had 1 case interview and 2 behavioral interviews, each one half hour. It was my first time doing a case, but they really don't care about the math, they care about communication and the process. They called me the following Tuesday with their offer.

Interview Question – Case Interview: A regional economy class car rental company wants to break into the luxury car market. What do you recommend?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You're told the starting salary and signing bonus--doesn't look like there is much room to negotiate.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2012.

Interview Details Interview was thorough, people were deceivingly nice.

Interview Question – How many windows in building   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations possible since I was local. Out-of-towners can negotiate relocation

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in June 2013.

Interview Details Two interviews, pretty general about the things you know and have done. Onsite interview with the manager and the entire team. Mostly technical.

Interview Question – Related to AES hardware encryption.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in July 2010.

Interview Details My interview process began with telephone screening interviews, the first with an IBM recruiter; the second with a current consultant. Since I've been consulting for a while, the second call was casual and allowed me to ask most of my questions (not all - be thoughtful and professional). From there, I was invited to an interview day at one of several national locations. About 100 candidates were divided into groups of 6-7 and each group was presented a business case. As we worked on the case, interviewers walked around each table to observe how well we interacted, who took the lead, how we resolved issues/differences of opinion, etc. I can't remember now how much time we were allocated to prepare, but each group had to present their findings to a panel. The key throughout is to actively participate, be calm and confident, and think about what you need to say before you get in the room. Don't be shy during the presentation but don't act like Donald Trump either. I've prepped for case study interviews in the past and can say it helped since I don't have a business degree (although I am ABD on a Ph.D.). Now that I've been with IBM over a year, I will say it is extremely important to work as a team during the group presentation. While some candidates will naturally rise to lead the team, everyone has a contribution, and every consultant should strive to be their client's 'trusted advisor.' Good luck!

Interview Question – The business case posed the question of whether a company should expand into a new, potentially more lucrative area or remain on its current course.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since my offer was at the higher end for a band 7, there wasn't much room for negotiation. Unfortunately, we all get the same number of vacation days so that wasn't negotiable either. While it's possible to negotiate to a higher band, it's easier at a lower band to get staffed.

Consultant - Strategy and Change Interview

Houston, TX (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in August 2010.

Interview Details After the initial phone screen with HR, I completed a questionnaire. After that was reviewed, I had a phone screen with a managing consultant and then was invited to Chicago for a case study interview/presentation and 2-3 one-on-one interviews.

Interview Question – Business case asked for an evaluation of a new opportunity for an established business.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM interview questions and advice in Houston, TX. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.