IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.8

125 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Phone call from recruiter. She seemed distracted and not to be listening to my answers. Was very terse. Asked to complete and online test.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2011.

1 Interview with HR, 2 Technical Interview, 1 Manager inteview.
    Exactly what you can expect when dealing with a big corporation.
    I received the final feedback 1 week after the final interview and the offer letter after 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interviewers did not go very deep in technical stuff. Unexpected.   Answer Question
    Gross Salary proposed not negotiable, some negotiation on the benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Adelaide
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2012.

Initial communication consisted of a call to the number listed on the submitted resume in which an online test was set up consisting of logic and arithmetic questions. I was then contacted again and we organised a time to do a 35-45 minute phone interview.

The phone interview, a screening call, consisted of behavioral based questions such as "What would you do if there was a problem in your team and how would you solve it?" The questions all related to team work or individual questions and I didn't get asked any technical questions which I was expecting.

Next was a phone call from the local IBM manager (the above call took place with someone from the national centre) who asked me similar questions but in a much less formal manner. I think this call was basically a get to know me call.

Interview Questions
    • None really but it is expected that with all behavioral questions that you are able to present a real life example where possible.   Answer Question
    It was an internship type role so I didn't bother with negotiating a salary.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IBM.

The interview consisted of a phone conversation. The phone conversation was relatively lax. I was not asked any technical questions. They mostly just asked what I was interested in working on. This probably is not the norm with IBM in the states

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2013.

*Please note that due to the size of the company this process may vary.

The interview came in three distinct phases. All were conducted over the phone. I was referred to the company by an employee so they seemed to be confident to not need an in person interview before making the decision.

Phase 1 was speaking with someone from the skills management department. She was a neutral party unaffialited with the department I would be interviewing with. She gave a breif overview of the company and what the position would be. After confirming I was still interested I continued to phase 2.

Next was a discussion with the hiring manager. This was not technical at all; mostly a meet and greet for both parties. I was asked mostly about my background and what I why I wished to work for the company. The manager shared some details about how the department operates and what I would be doing if I were to accept the offer.

Phase 3 was the technical interview. I had expected a number of whiteboard style questions but there was a distinct lack of them. I had already sent in some code samples of a game that I had created previously. The most technical questions related to the reason why I had made certain design choices when designing the code for the game. After that, the questions become more about myself and why I was passionate about technology and to see if I really enjoyed working in this field. Once I believe the interviewer was satisfied with my ability the interview became less about one way questions and more about free flowing conversation to see if I would mesh well with the team. Shortly after this interview the hiring manager called to let me know that they would be extending an offer to me soon.

The experience was a very positive one.

Interview Questions
    • What was most unexpected was the lack of typical whiteboard style programming questions in favor of other topics.   Answer Question
    The neogotian phase was very pleasant. However, the division of HR being in India and my department being in the US caused the process to move quite slowly. After getting put in touch with the proper people to speak with in the US the process was much smoother. After receiving the initial offer I did my homework and came up with a very solid counter offer. The counter was accepted without issue.

Software Engineer Interview

You can apply through online portal or through friends referral. If you get shortlisted,HR will call you and provide you details about opportunity. Number of interview are generally depends on the team and kind of position. It sometime be done with 1 technical interview followed by HR interview or sometime it can be 2-3 technical interviews followed by HR round.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Littleton, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, MA (US)

interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

In the phone interview, I was asked to introduced myself focusing on my developing experience and skills instead of being asked questions. Then I went to the second round interview, and talked with a technician in an office. I was asked how to design a website.

Interview Questions
    • There would be a IQ test. Get well prepared for that or you might regret!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM.

Slow and tedious process . Lots of interviews. very technical in nature. I was interviewed over 7 times. each time with a different engineer or management level. Most questions were basic compared to the required knowledge level. However, the interviewers always expected the response to match their intentions

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

The interview process went very smoothly. I met with the HR Rep, then the Manager and the 4 other developers on the team. Each of them had there own interview style but each style complemented the other. The interview consisted of algorithm questions, white board coding questions, and personality questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Called me for a phone interview, asking general questions regarding to projects that I had previously worked on, send me off to an on site interview with the manager that I previously talked with and a team lead. Interview questions is relatively easy, mostly regarding various software design cycles.

Interview Questions

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!