IBM

Average Difficulty
122 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details Phone call from recruiter. She seemed distracted and not to be listening to my answers. Was very terse. Asked to complete and online test.

Interview Question – Why do you stand out for this role?   Answer Question

Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2011.

Interview Details 1 Interview with HR, 2 Technical Interview, 1 Manager inteview.
Exactly what you can expect when dealing with a big corporation.
I received the final feedback 1 week after the final interview and the offer letter after 2 weeks.

Interview Question – The technical interviewers did not go very deep in technical stuff. Unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Gross Salary proposed not negotiable, some negotiation on the benefits.

Adelaide

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2012.

Interview Details Initial communication consisted of a call to the number listed on the submitted resume in which an online test was set up consisting of logic and arithmetic questions. I was then contacted again and we organised a time to do a 35-45 minute phone interview.

The phone interview, a screening call, consisted of behavioral based questions such as "What would you do if there was a problem in your team and how would you solve it?" The questions all related to team work or individual questions and I didn't get asked any technical questions which I was expecting.

Next was a phone call from the local IBM manager (the above call took place with someone from the national centre) who asked me similar questions but in a much less formal manner. I think this call was basically a get to know me call.

Interview Question – None really but it is expected that with all behavioral questions that you are able to present a real life example where possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was an internship type role so I didn't bother with negotiating a salary.

Littleton, MA (US)

I interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Interview Details In the phone interview, I was asked to introduced myself focusing on my developing experience and skills instead of being asked questions. Then I went to the second round interview, and talked with a technician in an office. I was asked how to design a website.

Interview Question – There would be a IQ test. Get well prepared for that or you might regret!   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details Slow and tedious process . Lots of interviews. very technical in nature. I was interviewed over 7 times. each time with a different engineer or management level. Most questions were basic compared to the required knowledge level. However, the interviewers always expected the response to match their intentions

Interview Question – describe what you want to do when you grow up   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

Interview Details The interview process went very smoothly. I met with the HR Rep, then the Manager and the 4 other developers on the team. Each of them had there own interview style but each style complemented the other. The interview consisted of algorithm questions, white board coding questions, and personality questions.

Interview Question – basic algorithms and data structures   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details Called me for a phone interview, asking general questions regarding to projects that I had previously worked on, send me off to an on site interview with the manager that I previously talked with and a team lead. Interview questions is relatively easy, mostly regarding various software design cycles.

Interview Question – how you test GUI   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details Referred by an IBM director and got an phone interview by the hiring manager in a month. Hiring manager asked for a technical exercise using one of the IBM core engines as part of the technical review. Presented the results via Webniar to a panel of tech people. Didn't hear back after few weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Question – I presented my R&D works + technical exercise. The hiring manager was quite impressed by them. The hard part is the salary negotiation (went through two hiring managers due to internal reorg).   View Answers (3)

Reason for Declining – As a matter of fact, I accepted the informal offer. But when returning from a business trip, I was told by the hiring manager that the position was filled - which is the most frustrating part of the process.

Cochin (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in December 2013.

Interview Details It was a one day process, aptitude test based o number series, refer the previous year papers, after that a verbel test which was based on business mails and simple english, then hr interview with usual questions.

Interview Question – Situation based quuestions   Answer Question

Foster City, CA (US)

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Question – General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!