IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep 2014

2.8

126 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Phone call from recruiter. She seemed distracted and not to be listening to my answers. Was very terse. Asked to complete and online test.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Adelaide
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2012.

Initial communication consisted of a call to the number listed on the submitted resume in which an online test was set up consisting of logic and arithmetic questions. I was then contacted again and we organised a time to do a 35-45 minute phone interview.

The phone interview, a screening call, consisted of behavioral based questions such as "What would you do if there was a problem in your team and how would you solve it?" The questions all related to team work or individual questions and I didn't get asked any technical questions which I was expecting.

Next was a phone call from the local IBM manager (the above call took place with someone from the national centre) who asked me similar questions but in a much less formal manner. I think this call was basically a get to know me call.

Interview Questions
    • None really but it is expected that with all behavioral questions that you are able to present a real life example where possible.   Answer Question
    It was an internship type role so I didn't bother with negotiating a salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2011.

1 Interview with HR, 2 Technical Interview, 1 Manager inteview.
    Exactly what you can expect when dealing with a big corporation.
    I received the final feedback 1 week after the final interview and the offer letter after 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interviewers did not go very deep in technical stuff. Unexpected.   Answer Question
    Gross Salary proposed not negotiable, some negotiation on the benefits.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IBM.

The interview consisted of a phone conversation. The phone conversation was relatively lax. I was not asked any technical questions. They mostly just asked what I was interested in working on. This probably is not the norm with IBM in the states

Software Engineer Interview

You can apply through online portal or through friends referral. If you get shortlisted,HR will call you and provide you details about opportunity. Number of interview are generally depends on the team and kind of position. It sometime be done with 1 technical interview followed by HR interview or sometime it can be 2-3 technical interviews followed by HR round.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM.

Slow and tedious process . Lots of interviews. very technical in nature. I was interviewed over 7 times. each time with a different engineer or management level. Most questions were basic compared to the required knowledge level. However, the interviewers always expected the response to match their intentions

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Called me for a phone interview, asking general questions regarding to projects that I had previously worked on, send me off to an on site interview with the manager that I previously talked with and a team lead. Interview questions is relatively easy, mostly regarding various software design cycles.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Referred by an IBM director and got an phone interview by the hiring manager in a month. Hiring manager asked for a technical exercise using one of the IBM core engines as part of the technical review. Presented the results via Webniar to a panel of tech people. Didn't hear back after few weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I presented my R&D works + technical exercise. The hiring manager was quite impressed by them. The hard part is the salary negotiation (went through two hiring managers due to internal reorg).   View Answers (3)

As a matter of fact, I accepted the informal offer. But when returning from a business trip, I was told by the hiring manager that the position was filled - which is the most frustrating part of the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Foster City, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA (US)

I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Questions
    • General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question
    It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

The interview process went very smoothly. I met with the HR Rep, then the Manager and the 4 other developers on the team. Each of them had there own interview style but each style complemented the other. The interview consisted of algorithm questions, white board coding questions, and personality questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!