IBM

Getting the Interview

114 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details Phone call from recruiter. She seemed distracted and not to be listening to my answers. Was very terse. Asked to complete and online test.

Interview Question – Why do you stand out for this role?   Answer Question

Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2011.

Interview Details 1 Interview with HR, 2 Technical Interview, 1 Manager inteview.
Exactly what you can expect when dealing with a big corporation.
I received the final feedback 1 week after the final interview and the offer letter after 2 weeks.

Interview Question – The technical interviewers did not go very deep in technical stuff. Unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Gross Salary proposed not negotiable, some negotiation on the benefits.

Adelaide

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2012.

Interview Details Initial communication consisted of a call to the number listed on the submitted resume in which an online test was set up consisting of logic and arithmetic questions. I was then contacted again and we organised a time to do a 35-45 minute phone interview.

The phone interview, a screening call, consisted of behavioral based questions such as "What would you do if there was a problem in your team and how would you solve it?" The questions all related to team work or individual questions and I didn't get asked any technical questions which I was expecting.

Next was a phone call from the local IBM manager (the above call took place with someone from the national centre) who asked me similar questions but in a much less formal manner. I think this call was basically a get to know me call.

Interview Question – None really but it is expected that with all behavioral questions that you are able to present a real life example where possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was an internship type role so I didn't bother with negotiating a salary.

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview Details I found their job post in a Job Board (glassdoor.com) and applied to their site directly. Few days later or a week after they called me and invited me for an interview. I was not informed of the written exam.

Interview Question – There were lots of coding items in the written test for 1 hr. First part is multiple choice. About Java threading and memory management. Second part is the coding. Most items are using arraylist. I was not able to finish the exam so during the interview they asked me how did I arrived with my answers. I felt I was able to answer them well or convinced them with my answers but I was wrong to assume on that.
I made a follow up if I passed. Unfortunately, I receive the confirmation that they will not proceed further with my application.
  Answer Question

Interview Details Basic: phone screen, then on-site

Interview Question – Do an in-order BST walk without additional data structures and without recursion.   Answer Question

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details Standardized test with battery of questions.

Interview Question – Not any   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

Interview Details My interview was 1:1 for the first round and a panel for the second. The interview was pretty straightforward. We went through my resume and she asked about projects that I did for school. The panel interview was one of the technical guys asking about 3 tech questions.

Interview Question – I didn't have any unexpected questions, I went through extensive interview training prior   Answer Question

Software Engineer
Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details Was quite simple for me in that I was a contractor on a small team of contractors. Which is a good way for both potential employee to learn about IBM and also for IBM to learn about you, sort of a test drive. Key things are about execution, being thorough and thinking both big and long-term.

Interview Question – Was some time ago and really didn't do much of an interview, more of a trial. Most difficult thing was learning and programming on OS/2.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty quick and simple, I had another offer at the same time. I came back with a few things I would like better, which they adjusted the salary but didn't change the vacation time.

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I interviewed at IBM in May 2013.

Interview Details Very simple process applied directly to company, got interview and technical test

Interview Question – Some c++ questions about memory   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No it was non negotiable

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details phone to get date for onsite interview , questions about all things in the CV, and general questions ,why you want to work for us,hat if you got other offer after a while , what are the main things you expect to find in the new job, technical questions about algorithms and data structures

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation phase

Interviews for Top Jobs at IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 114 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.