IKEA Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.5

Inventory Co-worker Interview

First a phone interview about hows and whats about your application, availablities, working rights etc, general questions. Then a panel interview. I'm still waiting for the final interview by HR department.

Customer Service Team Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

internal recruitment process, first interview with line manager and HR then second interview with department head.

Interview Questions
    • tell us about a time you have to handle a difficult situation   Answer Question
    non-negotiatable

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in June 2010.

Initial interview with HR and supervisor. Both were extremely polite and the questions were based around situations I have been in, and what I would do in hypothetical situations. As a recent graduate, they were obviously trying to gauge my knowledge and reasoning. Second and final interview was with Marketing Manager and supervisor. Again both polite. This was more of a 'get to know' to see whether I would be a good cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in a conflict with another staff member, how would you approach fixing the situation?   Answer Question
    As I was a graduate, I didn't have any idea about how to negotiate. I loved the brand so I took the first offer.

IKEA Goods Flow Co-worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in September 2013.

Applied online through IKEA's website, got a call about two weeks later. The first call was a short five minute call with several questions: Why do you want to work for IKEA? Why do you want this position? Are there any days you can't work? When can you start? Etc. They said they will call me if I was successful in 3-5 days. Got a call about several hours later saying I was successful in the next step in the interview process which is a group interview. Gave me details on the date and time. Yet to go to the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult, just be prepared for the typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Part-Time Customer Relations Co-Worker Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IKEA in June 2013.

Had a phone interview asking: Why IKEA? Tell your experiences in customer service and my availability. Then the interviewer was happy with my answers and invited me to a group interview.

The group interview had around 20 people. We were seated in groups of 5 on each table. We had activities such as:
    - Introduced ourselves
    - Told our favourite rooms in the house, and Why
    - Chose a badge that depicts our personality
    - Created a poster with the alphabet making a word from each letter to describe customer service
    - We created a slogan as a group for our poster
    - Presented the poster
    - Filled out forms with our availability and referees
    - Had a tour of the areas we could be possibly working
    - Speed dating with different employees asking us questions

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

I went on the website and applied online the application process was pretty easy. Two weeks later I got a call about a hiring event. I went to the hiring event there were around 25 people. They made us partner up and present in front of the group of possible employees and hiring managers. we had to ask are partners questions about why Ikea and about there prior work experience and present the info they gave us. Then we were asked to step out the room so they could deliberate. After that they called us back into the room and split us up in two groups. My group was asked to step outside once again. The people who were left in the room were not considered and basically told why not. after waiting like 30 minutes a manager came out and brought me into a interview room were he began to interview me one on one. He asked personality questions apart from the basic questions this interview was way more intense and caught me off guard. I later waited on the main hiring manager which then brought me to a room where he told me that I had too little experience to be a sales associate they require at least 2 years of prior experince to be considered for the position. so I was gonna be considered for the cashier position. I was told to go back to the waiting room that the cashier manger was going to come to interview me. Her interview was easy going and relaxed the basic questions were asked. She said the Main hiring manager would be the finale judge and if yes i would be emailed the background check information. I left the interview at 4 by 5.30 I had the email. I was there form 12.30pm to 4.00pm

Ps. The same day around 7.00am hours before the event started I was called by headquarters I was interviewed and told that my resume was being fowarded to the location I applied to unknowing that I had already been called in for an interview. So basically expect a phone interview before the actual interview

Interview Questions
    • Whats the last thing you read? What was your favorite part? What was the last nice thing you did ? Tell me something nerdy about you?   Answer Question

Ballroom Co-worker Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IKEA.

Applied to the job AD at Ikea career section. Submit the application on the job ad removal day and get invited to a group interview on the next day. The over all experience is exact the same as other people had explained. Just be yourself. Study Ikea well enough. Not just the history, like what IKEA stand for(good to know ofc). Get to know the current news about Ikea, such as they focus on sustainability very much. They bought 20 Wind Turbine last year. And you need to emphasize IKEA is one of the company that willing to spend HUGE amount of $ to green energy which most company don't because it take too long (talking about 1-2 decades) to get the money back from that investment. Dont Buff. Be honest. Interview is fun and not too intense. And treat your other interviewer as friend, not enemy.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any unexpected question. You do get a LOT of unexpected question if you don't study IKEA well enough.   Answer Question

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

Applied online, was called for an interview within the week. Phone interview, then in person. Having open availability is key. Good interview, questions about how you've handled situations in the past, easy. Be natural, they value perspectives from different people. Important to convey similar acceptance of others, be a team player. Offered and accepted position on the spot.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Graz (Austria)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Graz (Austria)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

One week after sending the application, I got invited to "a look behind the scenes" where they wanted to learn more about me. It was actually a group interview with 11 other applicants and 3 interviewers: head of visual merchandising, head of interior design and HR person.The athmosphere was really relaxed and casual, interviewers were smiling and laughing a lot, making jokes etc. They presented themselves first and then each applicant presented themselves and their backgrounds while everyone else listened. That was basically it. So at that point there were 12 applicants applying for two different jobs: visual merchandiser and interior designer.

Two days after the interview I got an invitation by email to come to an Assessment center. It was a whole-day (9-16) skills test including different teamwork tasks, decorating, drawing a sketch, making collages etc. I think we did about 7-8 different tasks during the day and every task was to be presented in front of everybody. There were eight of us this time applying for those two jobs.

The day of the assessment was Wednesday. They promised to inform us about going forward or not at the end of next week. On Friday of the next week there was still no word from them. I received an email next Monday that I did not go forward with them.

After the assessment tehre would have been at least one more interview, including the manager of the department store, before the would make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were quite usual: Why do you want to work at Ikea? Why would you be the best applicant? How do you see Ikea?   Answer Question

General Ledger Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in April 2011.

There are three interview steps. First step is group interview and it is fun, not too hard. Then is manager interview, talking about your interests, your career goal. Also with skilled interview. The last is CEO interview, just talking in Englishe to test English skills.

Interview Questions
    • The biggest trouble you met during work and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!