IKEA Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
207 interviews

2.5

Customer Service Team Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

internal recruitment process, first interview with line manager and HR then second interview with department head.

Interview Questions
    • tell us about a time you have to handle a difficult situation   Answer Question
    non-negotiatable

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in June 2010.

Initial interview with HR and supervisor. Both were extremely polite and the questions were based around situations I have been in, and what I would do in hypothetical situations. As a recent graduate, they were obviously trying to gauge my knowledge and reasoning. Second and final interview was with Marketing Manager and supervisor. Again both polite. This was more of a 'get to know' to see whether I would be a good cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in a conflict with another staff member, how would you approach fixing the situation?   Answer Question
    As I was a graduate, I didn't have any idea about how to negotiate. I loved the brand so I took the first offer.

IKEA Goods Flow Co-worker Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in September 2013.

Applied online through IKEA's website, got a call about two weeks later. The first call was a short five minute call with several questions: Why do you want to work for IKEA? Why do you want this position? Are there any days you can't work? When can you start? Etc. They said they will call me if I was successful in 3-5 days. Got a call about several hours later saying I was successful in the next step in the interview process which is a group interview. Gave me details on the date and time. Yet to go to the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult, just be prepared for the typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Part-Time Customer Relations Co-Worker Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at IKEA in June 2013.

Had a phone interview asking: Why IKEA? Tell your experiences in customer service and my availability. Then the interviewer was happy with my answers and invited me to a group interview.

The group interview had around 20 people. We were seated in groups of 5 on each table. We had activities such as:
    - Introduced ourselves
    - Told our favourite rooms in the house, and Why
    - Chose a badge that depicts our personality
    - Created a poster with the alphabet making a word from each letter to describe customer service
    - We created a slogan as a group for our poster
    - Presented the poster
    - Filled out forms with our availability and referees
    - Had a tour of the areas we could be possibly working
    - Speed dating with different employees asking us questions

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Graz (Austria)
    Anonymous Employee in Graz (Austria)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

One week after sending the application, I got invited to "a look behind the scenes" where they wanted to learn more about me. It was actually a group interview with 11 other applicants and 3 interviewers: head of visual merchandising, head of interior design and HR person.The athmosphere was really relaxed and casual, interviewers were smiling and laughing a lot, making jokes etc. They presented themselves first and then each applicant presented themselves and their backgrounds while everyone else listened. That was basically it. So at that point there were 12 applicants applying for two different jobs: visual merchandiser and interior designer.

Two days after the interview I got an invitation by email to come to an Assessment center. It was a whole-day (9-16) skills test including different teamwork tasks, decorating, drawing a sketch, making collages etc. I think we did about 7-8 different tasks during the day and every task was to be presented in front of everybody. There were eight of us this time applying for those two jobs.

The day of the assessment was Wednesday. They promised to inform us about going forward or not at the end of next week. On Friday of the next week there was still no word from them. I received an email next Monday that I did not go forward with them.

After the assessment tehre would have been at least one more interview, including the manager of the department store, before the would make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were quite usual: Why do you want to work at Ikea? Why would you be the best applicant? How do you see Ikea?   Answer Question

General Ledger Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in April 2011.

There are three interview steps. First step is group interview and it is fun, not too hard. Then is manager interview, talking about your interests, your career goal. Also with skilled interview. The last is CEO interview, just talking in Englishe to test English skills.

Interview Questions
    • The biggest trouble you met during work and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

FOOD Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in April 2014.

First received a phone interview. Then got called back to have an in person interview. Pretty simple interview. How do you work in a team, What are your greatest accomplishments? Where do you se yourself in the future? Do you have reliable transportation? THe interviewer was super nice.

Interior Design Co-worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at IKEA.

Was given a floor plan drawing and aesthetic test using ikea catalogue. The test parameter was 15 min. It's to test your design skills. Discuss portfolio and previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • 3 hour long interview with direct manager, followed by department supervisor.   Answer Question
    non-negotiable

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in August 2013.

Takes a little time. Had a interview with manager, HR, and Store manager. Also did phone interviews with the service office and manager. A long process but well worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were pretty straight forward. None that were too hard.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Got more than asked for.

Co Worker Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

I applied online on a saturday and got a reply the next day or tuesday which really surprised me so I would say CV and Covering Letter is very important(maybe luck as well). Then i got an email saying that I have a group interview on a thursday but I couldnt do that thursday so I just told them, I will not be able to do it but they were so lenient and gave me the next thursday for the group interview and this time I attended.

In this group interview, you will have a icebreaker for about an hour, honestly its really chilled but as I am quite a shy at first person as soon as the questions got to me I fumbled with my words a lot and I actually said Im quite nervous sorry. Anyway so it starts with an icebreaker lasting an hour then the scary part...

They make you choose an item and please dont hesitate to run for an item you know youll do good at & basically you get asked how would you sell the products to the customer. Then thry will go thru you one by one then they will say theres a twist, you have to partner up w/ someone and choose between you two what item can give more functions or features for a customer.

The last test is how to give a good customer service and if you received a bad customer service ever what happened with that etc. This just shows the interviewers how well your good customer service skills are and how would you handle difficult situations.

Then this is where you find out if you got a spot or not, they half the group and LUCKILY i got in the group for the people who have a 1-1 interview whereas the other group didnt pass the test or stages.

For the 1-1 interview is where its really chilled, you tell them your availiability, how long it took you to get there and why ikea( i said good customer service and money lol).

If you made it this far on my story, ill give you a tip. Be yourself, dont be too bossy and dont be too quiet, be yourself guys.

Then if you get it, you get it. As for me i got a callback in 2-3 days. Then ill shorten it up and say i got another 10 min interview saying at which department ill be working at & my pay& my hours which leads to the next wee of you getting trained to 3-4 days which at this point allows you to officially become an ikea co-worker. Good luck & hope i helped! :)

Interview Questions
    • The stage 2 which is selling a product I have chosen from a box.   View Answer
    Be specific about how many hours you want and your shifts( morning or evening), if you have a good manager he will allow you to do the shifts youll prefer.

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!