IKEA Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep 2014
Updated 25 Sep 2014

2.5

Interior Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

There were 3 stages to the process; phone screening, group interview and 'the grandparent' interview. Applied online and got a call around 2-3 weeks later. The phone interview had questions about IKEA (i.e. why IKEA, what does home furnishing mean to you, etc.) and lasted around 15 min.

A week later I got a call saying I made it to the group assessment day+ a confirmation email. In addition, there was a form I had to fill out with situational questions (i.e. tell us about a time when you faced an obstacle and how did you overcome it?, when was a time you made a mistake and how did you fix it? etc.) and a personality quiz to complete. The group interview was a week after the confirmation email and I had to bring my portfolio along.

On the day, there were around 9 people (including myself), 6 were going for the Visual merchandising role whilst 2 others + me were going for the Interior Designer role. There were head designers, managers and HR people in the room as well and they were all very friendly. After a brief intro about IKEA, we introduced ourselves and presented the piece of work in our portfolio we were most proud of. Then we had group activities, analysing a specific room (i.e. what is the style of the room? who do you think lives in this room? what would you change about the room? etc.) and split into teams of 3 to build a flatpack (could be a table, cabinet, etc.). Had to present our furniture and talk about where we would place it and how it could be used. After a lunch break, we had a 'feedback' session, which was actually a further interview questioning session. There were 2 people asking situational questions (around 8 Qs) and because I was not expecting it at all, blanked out for a few secs but they helped guide and recollect my thoughts so that was pretty nice of them. That concluded the group interview day and I was told I would find if I pass the round by Friday.

Then on the following day, I got a call back saying I had made it to the 'Grandparent interview' and was asked to come in on the Friday (short notice because the manager was quite busy). I was asked to bring my portfolio again and was told that it was an informal interview with the Design head. True to their word, it was the most relaxed and chilled interview ever, chatting about different cultures, different IKEAs around the world, etc. The only questions he asked were once again, 'why IKEA? what do you think IKEA can offer you, what do you think the differences are between this IKEA and the other one?etc. Showed him my portfolio and chatted a bit more. Overall lasted around 2 hours and that concluded the final interview. Got a call a week later asking for reference checks and now pending (so no offer yet)

Interview Questions
    • As an interior designer, what would your role be to customers in IKEA?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had to deal with change and how did you cope with it?   Answer Question

Inventory Co-worker Interview

First a phone interview about hows and whats about your application, availablities, working rights etc, general questions. Then a panel interview. I'm still waiting for the final interview by HR department.

Customer Service Team Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

internal recruitment process, first interview with line manager and HR then second interview with department head.

Interview Questions
    • tell us about a time you have to handle a difficult situation   Answer Question
    non-negotiatable

IKEA Goods Flow Co-worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in September 2013.

Applied online through IKEA's website, got a call about two weeks later. The first call was a short five minute call with several questions: Why do you want to work for IKEA? Why do you want this position? Are there any days you can't work? When can you start? Etc. They said they will call me if I was successful in 3-5 days. Got a call about several hours later saying I was successful in the next step in the interview process which is a group interview. Gave me details on the date and time. Yet to go to the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult, just be prepared for the typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Part-Time Customer Relations Co-Worker Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IKEA in June 2013.

Had a phone interview asking: Why IKEA? Tell your experiences in customer service and my availability. Then the interviewer was happy with my answers and invited me to a group interview.

The group interview had around 20 people. We were seated in groups of 5 on each table. We had activities such as:
    - Introduced ourselves
    - Told our favourite rooms in the house, and Why
    - Chose a badge that depicts our personality
    - Created a poster with the alphabet making a word from each letter to describe customer service
    - We created a slogan as a group for our poster
    - Presented the poster
    - Filled out forms with our availability and referees
    - Had a tour of the areas we could be possibly working
    - Speed dating with different employees asking us questions

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in June 2010.

Initial interview with HR and supervisor. Both were extremely polite and the questions were based around situations I have been in, and what I would do in hypothetical situations. As a recent graduate, they were obviously trying to gauge my knowledge and reasoning. Second and final interview was with Marketing Manager and supervisor. Again both polite. This was more of a 'get to know' to see whether I would be a good cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in a conflict with another staff member, how would you approach fixing the situation?   Answer Question
    As I was a graduate, I didn't have any idea about how to negotiate. I loved the brand so I took the first offer.

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IKEA.

Very relaxed interviewer, gave me tips on how to be a better interview prospective (was very new.) The office area was very modern and the overall team that greeted me as I walked to the interview room were welcoming. The interviewer asked me about previous jobs and not-work related interests, and seemed interested in me as a person and not a potential wage slave.

Interview Questions
    • How to pronounce some Swedish word that I'd never seen before.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase; IKEA didn't pay cashiers well at the time and had a very high turn over.

Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IKEA.

So, I applied online for a cashier position and was called back within a day. The first interview was with the floor manager, and my second interview was with the general manager. I'm guessing they liked me lol.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest mistake you ever made? How did you recover from it?   Answer Question

Store Visual Co-worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

I applied for a seasonal (holiday) visual co-worker position and was contacted next day by someone from HR for a quick phone screen. Easy questions "why do you want to work for Ikea" etc. It went well and she said she would refer me to the next interview and that I would be contacted by the store's hiring manager within two weeks.

Three weeks went by and I still had not been scheduled for a second interview. I contacted the recruiter via email and still no answer.

Five weeks after my original phone interview, someone from hr finally emailed me only to tell me they were not hiring for the position and that it was "on hold"

Interview Questions
    • "what was something you were proud of in your past experience" "Tell me about a time when you worked within a group and as an individual"   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

I went on the website and applied online the application process was pretty easy. Two weeks later I got a call about a hiring event. I went to the hiring event there were around 25 people. They made us partner up and present in front of the group of possible employees and hiring managers. we had to ask are partners questions about why Ikea and about there prior work experience and present the info they gave us. Then we were asked to step out the room so they could deliberate. After that they called us back into the room and split us up in two groups. My group was asked to step outside once again. The people who were left in the room were not considered and basically told why not. after waiting like 30 minutes a manager came out and brought me into a interview room were he began to interview me one on one. He asked personality questions apart from the basic questions this interview was way more intense and caught me off guard. I later waited on the main hiring manager which then brought me to a room where he told me that I had too little experience to be a sales associate they require at least 2 years of prior experince to be considered for the position. so I was gonna be considered for the cashier position. I was told to go back to the waiting room that the cashier manger was going to come to interview me. Her interview was easy going and relaxed the basic questions were asked. She said the Main hiring manager would be the finale judge and if yes i would be emailed the background check information. I left the interview at 4 by 5.30 I had the email. I was there form 12.30pm to 4.00pm

Ps. The same day around 7.00am hours before the event started I was called by headquarters I was interviewed and told that my resume was being fowarded to the location I applied to unknowing that I had already been called in for an interview. So basically expect a phone interview before the actual interview

Interview Questions
    • Whats the last thing you read? What was your favorite part? What was the last nice thing you did ? Tell me something nerdy about you?   Answer Question

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!