IRS

93 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Special Agent Interview

Special Agent

I applied through another source and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details Once application is reviewed, a test is administered. If there are openings, multiple panel interview take place. If an offer is made, choice of cities are ranked 1 - 10. If major city, will be placed, not guarantee of where you will be located

Interview Question – It's been so long, the process has been modified   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No

Tax Examiner Interview

Tax Examiner

I applied online and interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details Well, there is nothing exceptional about it at all. Its an interview for a government position. If you fill out all there paperwork it should be smooth sailing. Just make sure you DO finish all your paperwork. That is key.

IRS/Contact Representative Interview

IRS/Contact Representative
Covington, KY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at IRS in August 2010.

Interview Details Had to take a test with live human resources representatives acting as the taxpayers calling on the phone with difficult questions and you had to navigate a system that you had never used to find the answer.

Interview Question – I don't remember the interview process being difficult over the phone at all. I was just surprised because the hours were from 4 pm to 1 am. Guess I failed to pay attention to that part of the application process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You either took it or you didn't. It was great pay, so I couldn't turn it down.

Special Agent Interview

Special Agent
New York, NY (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details There is Centralized hiring and you submit 3 top choices, but you could be sent anywhere in the United States. You must take an examination plus a very detailed difficult interview. One on one as well as group interviews. Drug testing and Psychological testing.

Interview Question – What would you do if you put in a no win situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Tax Examining Technician
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I applied online and interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details The process is long and cumbersome through the internet. Feedback is good. They like resume and transcripts. A background investigation is done after you are hired. Sometimes no interview or one over the phone. Best employer HR for not getting caught up in phoney interview expectations. The color of your resume, suit you are wearing or staying up the night before practicing what HR people like to hear is joyfully not an issue.

Interview Question – They want very much detail that sometimes is very time consuming to look back and find. If you combine employment with company that changed it's name 3 times the background investigation will wonder why you did not list each individually. For years you are out of work they want exact dates.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They go by opm wage tables.

Mail Clerk Interview

Mail Clerk
Covington, KY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details All correspondence was online. No face to face interview. Basically seemed like you were hired in the order in which the applications were received. Strange process. HE emailed all information and met with me to fill out paperwork, did a background check, then made an offer of employment via email after I passed the background check.

Negotiation Details – Not willing to negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Contact Representative Interview

Contact Representative
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at IRS in October 2013.

Interview Details Getting through to the interview was very interesting indeed. The testing process was basic and thorough. Do your research on internet and you should get through their process. The whole process takes months of waiting, and then a flurry of process, and back to waiting. Best of luck!

Interview Question – The interview itself was four basic questions asking how you would deal with specific call situations. Very easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Very Difficult Interview

Revenue Officer Interview

Revenue Officer
Monroe, LA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IRS in May 2010.

Interview Details Very lengthy and detailed. Do not expect this process to be less than approx 6 months from application to offer. Background check is very lengthy and detailed, as to be expected. It included interviews with neighbors, friends and family and prior roommates or people who can verify prior residences.

Interview Question – Many difficult questions pertaining to situation scenarios and how to handle them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Bowie, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details Regardless of the job for which you're applying, write an extensive, LONG resume. One job per page - and fill each page with your responsibilities, accomplishments, how you overcame challenges, and how you contributed or improved your working environment. This isn't the private sector resume with bullet points! ELABORATE on your resume. You need to paint a picture for Human Resources so they know exactly who you are, how you managed your work day, and how you excelled or overcame challenges.

Also, follow the instructions on the job announcement. Include your employer, address, phone number, month & year of employment, full-time or part-time, and the number of hours you worked per week. Some managers conduct a phone interview first, so be prepared. Dress and professionally - whether on the phone or in person. Be calm, confident, and tell the truth. They will find out if what you say is factual.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with the IRS?   View Answer

Technical Specialist Interview

Technical Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details Very competitive, smart people

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself,   Answer Question

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!