Intel Corporation

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hillsboro, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview Details My interview process for a validation engineer started with a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager in which we discussed by background and current role. He also briefly went into what the posted job entailed and what type of expertise he was looking for. There were no specific technical questions but he did ask me to talk about my level of expertise for various technical aspects.
Next was the in-person interview. I had six 30-minute one-on-one interviews with different members of the team, as well as a break for lunch to speak with the hiring manager again. Each person focused on a different area of questioning, ranging from logic questions, behavioral, and technical. The logic questions were pretty standard for the industry and they're just looking to see how you think so you want to think out loud during these.

Interview Question – I was asked to write everything I know about the wireless protocols (802.11) on the whiteboard and then questioned on various pieces of it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate salary a bit, but at this point in the process HR takes over. Even if the hiring manager really really wants you there is not a lot of room to negotiate.

Interviewed at Intel Corporation

Interview Details 2 interviews, the first is more professional approach with 2 seniors employees and the second with 2 managers and in personal approach.

Interview Question – To design and describe RAM system that deal with fragmentation problems   Answer Question

Validation Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Intel Corporation in February 2012.

Interview Details got the interview via referral

Interview Question – linked list vs arrays   Answer Question

Chandler, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in May 2012.

Interview Details Phone screen with potential coworker, phone interview with potential coworker and hiring manager, dinner with several managers and all candidates, seven 1:1 interviews lasting entire day.

Intel is more concerned about finding people who fit the Intel culture, and less concerned about what you have done. No difficult technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Non-existent. The offer was not negotiable.

Validation Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2010.

Interview Details Pretty straightforward interview. Asked what I knew about validation, as well as the relevant analog circuits and lab equipment I'd be using. Interviewed with about 5-6 different people for 1 hour sessions each. Each had a different specialty so they steered questions towards that area. Asked about software experience for scripting validation tasks.

Interview Question – (You are given a waveform drawing) What does this waveform tell you about the channel and driving circuitry?   Answer Question

Chandler, AZ (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Intel Corporation in November 2011.

Interview Details I got the interview through a conference. Talked to a couple of engineers and they contacted me 2 days later to give me another phone interview. The phone interview was not technical; he just wanted to know what were my interests and what would be the best fit for me. After the phone interview they invited me over to the site for 6 one-to-one interviews. Four out of the six interviews were technical, and the other two were personality test + a little bit of information about the position and the organization. Next day they called me and told me I had been selected. They seem be to be very organized, intelligent, and friendly.

Interview Questions

• A lot of computer architecture questions like: Draw the Intel architecture, what is DMA and how does it work?   Answer Question
  • A lot of C questions like: what is a non-volatile variable, write a code to read and write to a memory location, clear a bit...   Answer Question
  • Many troubleshooting questions like: what could be happening if you are reading to a memory location and you get nothing back.

Also now every single thing you put on your resume because they will ask you everything they can about it.
      Answer Question

Negotiation Details – on the one-to-one interviews I asked one of the managers if they offered signing bonus and he told me not to worry about it that he would arrange something for me. They gave me a good offer with great relocation and a singing bonus that is not usually offered. If you are going to negotiate don't negotiate the base salary, or relocation. It is better to negotiate the signing bonus

Austin, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2011.

Interview Details I was contacted by HR to see if I was interested in interviewing. They said that a phone interview would be set up in the coming week. I then received an email by an engineer to set up a phone interview. Because of travel schedules, the phone interview was 2 weeks later. The phone screen was basically telling what the job is and gauging my interest and experience -- no technical questions.

A few days later, HR emailed me to set up an onsite interview the following week. The onsite interview consisted of 8 1:1 interviews lasting from 30 to 45 minutes each, including one interview over lunch. The interviews were all very technical in nature, often with me at the whiteboard drawing diagrams or writing out code. Senior management was very blunt during the interviews, telling me that the job requires a major time commitment, and most people work 60-70 hours per week at that location. Several other interviewers warned me that work schedules are very demanding at this location.

8 days after the interview I was called and told that they were preparing an offer. I had to then fill out all of the application paperwork and submit for a background check. The following week, an HR representative set up an evening call to present the offer, and I was emailed an official offer letter the following day. They gave me 7 days maximum to respond to the offer, and said that I could start work within about 3 weeks of accepting the offer.

Interview Questions

• Write a class that can read or write to memory addresses of any attached peripheral.   Answer Question
  • What is the difference between find and grep in Unix?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer was a little underwhelming in terms of money, and I didn't feel that the job was a great fit for me. I also didn't like the prospect of a job that regularly requires 60-70 hours per week, as I was bluntly told during the interview.

Portland, OR (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in April 2011.

Interview Details I interviewed with an intel engineer on career fair. He took my resume, Three weeks later, a manger called me and asked me some basic questions. Also, he introduced his group. Three weeks later I got an on-site interview at portland, OR. There were 5 people and they asked different field questions such as analog or architecture.

Interview Question – What is the advantages and disadvantages for using Domino gates?   Answer Question

Validation Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Intel Corporation in March 2011.

Interview Details Applied online. Was contacted via email a few weeks later to setup a phone interview. The phone interview was basically a screening to assess general tech level as it related to the position. Was invited to their facility for the actual interviews, which consisted of 5 roughly 1 hour long interviews.

Interview Question – Describing pipelining in modern processing.   Answer Question

Validation Engineer Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in February 2011.

Interview Details Phone interview
Onsite interview
5 face to face interviews --4 technical + 1 behavioral
c, basics of memory oraganization, validation experience, puzzles, programming questions

Negotiation Details – No

Interviews for Top Jobs at Intel Corporation

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Intel Corporation Videos

Intel Corporation – Why Work for Us?

As the world leader in silicon innovation, Intel develops technologies, products and initiatives to continually advance how people work and live. Our world is filled with 41,000 engineers bent on turning science… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intel Corporation Validation Engineer interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Intel Corporation employees and interview candidates.