International Paper

Updated 3 Dec 2014
Updated 3 Dec 2014

2.9

REACH Engineer Interview

On-campus interview after career fair and 3-day onsite recruiting event. The onsite event included several interviews, a team activity, speed networking, networking dinners and lunches, and a mill tour.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you made the wrong decision at work or in a project.   Answer Question

Co-Op Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, LA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, LA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at International Paper in November 2014.

Met at career fair. Interviewed via phone with plant manager and HR manager. Was asked situational questions as well as background questions. Very laid back, yet to the point. Definitely not something to be nervous about.

Interview Questions
    • Give a situation in which you had to lead or be in charge of people that were more experienced and knew more than you.   Answer Question

Actually haven't decided yet.

REACH Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at International Paper.

Applied through university career fair. Interview was a typical personality based interview. Interviewers were nice but also seemed to be observing everything you say to find a flaw. I probably wasn't as experience in the field the were looking for as other candidates which is why I believe to have not received a second round invitation because the interview was pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • No technical question just typical stuff like here's a situation in the workplace how would you react.   Answer Question

Forklift Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at International Paper.

Interview with general manager and site manager was about an hour long asking general questions about background and experience. Not a long interview or a hard one. All in all not bad.

Interview Questions
    • What can you bring to this company as a forklift driver?   View Answer
    No negotiations

Global Sourcing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at International Paper.

The initial greeting and dinner process was great. The staff was pleasant, warm, and great to get along with, however, the interview itself seemed quite the opposite. Even from the start, it seemed as if it was a bother to them to be there interviewing. The inconsistencies that they showed from what I and the other candidates had been exposed to were a major turn-off.

REACH Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at International Paper in October 2014.

Found IP online, applied and got a call back. I knew someone who recently got hired. I figured I would check to see if IP had a program for recent grads. HR and I got in touch. Then I had a phone interview. After that, IP flew me down to a very well-done recruiting event in Georgia. The next week, I got a great offer, flew down to the mill, and decided to accept.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to describe a time in past work experience where I messed up.   Answer Question
    IP salary was competitive with other companies. I really liked the on-site mill visit and the people, that convinced me to take this offer.

REACH Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at International Paper in October 2014.

They came to my school to do initial interviews, ~30min long. Immediately after I got invited to go to an onsite interview. At the onsite about 100 over students were also invited. I was put in a Marriott and they a whole agenda planned out for the next 2 days. The first night was speed dating and a mini career fair for all the different locations. The second day was a mill tour and two ~45 min interviews. I chose which locations I was most interested in. The next day I had breakfast and talked to employees one last night. Great experience.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valliant, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valliant, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at International Paper in October 2014.

I was contacted by an HR representative and we set up a date/time for an initial phone screening.

This section was entirely a behavioral interview with standard questions - detail a personal strength, tell us about a time in which you experienced a setback, etc. The questions were read off a list in a formal manner.

In the callback, the initial HR representative and I set up a date for an in-person interview. The company paid for or reimbursed for all travel costs. The on-site interview consisted of a plant tour (roughly 2.5 hours), two back-to-back 3-panel interviews, a social lunch break with the small department, and finally concluded with a 1-on-1 with the senior engineer overseeing the hiring position.

The 3-panel interviews were somewhat rushed, as the tour went long, but were on the whole behavioral interviews conducted by two sets of three senior members from the small department. The 1-on-1 was entirely informal, just a hashing out of some details of the position. By this point, it felt like IP had already offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • In the middle of the second 3-panel interview, a small conversation with a Chemical Engineer regarding my degree concentration (or lacktherof) spiraled into a technical question in which the terminology he was using (being 30 years my senior) and which I was familiar with (being fresh out of academia) did not match. This led to an unfortunate flub of an answer until I was able to straighten out what sort of answer he was looking for and probably did not look very confident on my part.   Answer Question

IT Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at International Paper in October 2014.

The interview was conducted with two IT managers. The best way to summarize the interview that it was questions about yourself, work experience, and education background. They were also more interested in if you do any extracurricular activities and outside projects. After the two IT managers asked their questions, they asked if I had any questions regarding to the company and the intern position.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at International Paper.

I had a sit down interview that lasted a little over an hour. It was a very relaxed interview with two interviewers who were recent grads. They asked generic interview questions, none of which were very difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for International Paper?   View Answer