International Paper

International Paper Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at International Paper in October 2012.

IP does this internal career fair with all the mills in the country, once you pass your first round of interview. The interview itself is very relaxing, but still challenging because you have to be on all the time, since there will be ~20 mills present with 200 IP employees and 80 other candidates. IP does a great job hosting the recruiting events, and other events too.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to teach someone who was your father's age.   View Answer
    There was hardly any negotiation.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Paper in March 2014.

Quick easy background phone interview, panel interview with 3 people, then a second panel interview with 4 people. It was very formal and although I had prepared myself well, it proved aggressive. Just a lot of very intense questions. Probably 30 questions in all...the two panel interviews lasted about an hour and a half each.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of the "tell me about a time" questions...weaknesses, how you communicate with others, management styles, disagreements with coworkers, issues with authority. Just a lot of very intense questions.   Answer Question

Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at International Paper.

The process was very long and thorough. It took over two months and with four interviews ( two phone screens, and two face - to - face interviews on site, including VP. I can appreciate the process but there was no follow up unless it was prompted. The final outcome was disappointing after over two and half months but understandable.

Interview Questions
    • It was behavioral based so there was nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Manager Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

An IP recruiter messaged me in LinkedIn to ask if I was interested in the position. I said I was, and we set up a time for a phone interview. It went well, and the regional HR manager contacted me for a plant interview. It was a panel with my boos -to- be, his boss, and the HR manager. They had a template they had to follow, but it felt more like a conversation; a very genuine one.

Interview Questions
    I was too excited. I didn't negotiate

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kenton, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenton, OH (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

Mainly, They like to hire from inside for supervisors. If no one makes it through the interviews internally then they will hire from outside the company. The interview process has 3 steps. One with the department manager and Human Resourses Manager. the second is with the assistant plant manager and the third is with the plant manager. They will ask questions based off your resume about leadership skills. The interviews are not very lengthy al all.

Interview Questions
    • Playing senerios. They will give you a situation and ask how you would handle it.   Answer Question
    Just to negotiate your pay. I was satisfied with what they offered so i accepted on the spot.

Supply Chain Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at International Paper in November 2012.

I went to a career fair where International Paper was present. I did an interview on campus which was very fast paced. I then was asked to fly to Memphis for a more in depth interview. They call this the blitz, they do it every year. They fly so many students down and have a social meeting, interviews (most likely 6), and then a night out in Memphis with current employees. The interviews were pretty easy, normal questions about tell me a time when, but mostly just them getting to know you. This was by far my favorite of about 100 interviews I did. Very relaxed environment for such a large company. I participated in the blitz this year as a current employee and really enjoyed it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult, they do not try to stump you in the interview process from my experience.   Answer Question
    They have a position level system, based on what number you are there is only a range you can make. Everything is pretty standard and there is not a lot of room for negotiation.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oxnard, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxnard, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Paper in May 2014.

I met the HR manager at a Career Fair at my university. I chatted with her for a bit and left a resume. About two weeks later I received a call from her to schedule an interview. The first interview involved a tour of the paper mill (1 hour) followed by a panel interview with the HR manager, the lead process engineer, and the engineering manager. The questions were very standard and the interviewers were very nice. I got a call back for a second visit, which involved 3 1:1 interviews with various mangers of the company and more detailed plant tours (2.5 hours). Overall very positive interview experience. Note: do not arrive to interviews in your nicest clothes. You will be given steel toe shoe add-ons and your shoes (and person) may get wet.

Company culture: about 100 employees, mostly men. Most employees are aged 40+.

Interview Questions
    • What is Henry's Law? (Technical question)
      What do you think your role of process engineer will be? (Make sure to read job description carefully)
        Answer Question

Although the paper industry is very stable and I would have received a solid pay, I was not interested in process engineering (or rather controls).

Packer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington, SC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, SC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

Applied through employee referral, I was called a week later to take a test, getting the interview was completely based on passing the test. The next day I was interviewed by a panel that asked questions based on safety and prior job experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to ignore a safety rule to get a job done faster.   View Answers (2)
    No negotation

Process Engineer Interview

Talked to a representative at my university career fair. The conversation went well and the representative seemed to be interested/impressed. About a week later I received an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview must also went well as I was asked to attend an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you needed to make a difficult decision.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

I learned about International Paper at my college career fair. Within a couple of minutes of talking to the people around the career booth, I was taken to a different room and had an interview with the main guy. It was fairly straight forward with the questions being purely behavioral. Over good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why would we hire you over other candidates.   View Answer

Worked for International Paper? Contribute to the Community!