J.P. Morgan

Getting the Interview

40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bournemouth, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2014.

Interview Details Second Round Assessment Centre
There were three tasks
1. One to one interview
2. Group exercise
3. Presentation to one interviewer evaluating the group exercise.

1. One to one interview
Based on the reviews I had found online I was expecting the first interview to be why JP Morgan, why operations, why investment banking. Instead it was very similar to the first round interview. All the questions were competency based with things such as give an example of when you introduced a new idea/overcame barriers to change/ prioritised lots of different tasks/worked with a difficult member in a team etc. The interviewer was lovely, it was very relaxed and informal and lasted 45 minutes. There were no unexpected or difficult questions just make sure you learn your competencies.

2. Group exercise.
Assessment centre groups can range from 4-8 candidates. To start off we were sat around a boardroom table and each given a booklet of information, rough paper and a calculator. The purpose of the exercise was explained, basically you are a strategy team evaluating three operating systems which need updating and deciding which two out of the three should take priority.

The first part of the exercise is 30 minutes of silent working time to read through the information. My advice would be to read quickly and make sure you get through to the end of the booklet. Make full use of the highlighters and feel free to rip the booklet apart to put it in a logical order, or keep relevant bits together. Also use the calculator to work out the cost of updating each system. Its basic maths, just a case of picking out the right information.

The one thing I cannot emphasise enough is that each person’s booklet is different and contains unique information that other candidates don't have in their booklet. The idea of this is that every person needs to contribute to the discussion as you all have something unique to share. Sharing all your unique information is one of the key points that you get assesed on so make sure you do this.

After the initial 30 minutes of silent reading are up, the assessors come into the room and the mock strategy meeting effectively begins. It is a very bizarre and forced situation to be in and you will find yourself and the other candidates behaving very oddly! There really isn't much you can do to prepare for this. Our group was a bit of a nightmare. The best advice is that the task the group has been set is very clear and you must achieve this by writing out your proposals on the piece of paper given. My group ran out of time as the person time keeping failed to do so! Furthermore the person scribing was overpowering and did not let everyone speak.

3. Presentation
After the group exercise I was really downheartened and thought there was no way I could possibly be succsesful after the poor performance in the group exercise. The presentation is basically an opportunity to redeem yourself and be open and honest about where you think the group went wrong and the part you played. The presentation is only to one interviewer and you can sit down so its much more like a discussion than an intimidating boardroom presentation.

You are giving 20 minutes to prepare your presentation on how the mock strategy meeting went. You are given a prompt presentation structure sheet which is really useful and I just followed the layout of that to the letter.

Be really honest with the interview and show that you are aware of your own personal development needs. So for me, I mentioned that there were times when I should have been more assertive especially when I could see we were running out of time. I also said that I regretted that I hadn't made more of a conscious effort to include quieter members of the group. You will be asked to comment on the performance of your teammates too which can be uncomfortable, however they behaved, do not bad mouth them at all but be honest about where you think they could have improved.

My overall experience was really positive. All the interviewers were friendly and approachable and the whole process was welcoming and not at all intimidating.

Negotiation Details – Graduate scheme, no negotiation.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details Laid back and no technical questions. two thirty minute on campus interviews. I interviewed for the internship program. Nice people work there and I recommend staying calm during the interview and relaxing. They liked seeing financial models that I created using MS Excel I hope this helps you other candidates. Good Luck to you!!

Interview Question – Name Three Strengths and Weaknesses   Answer Question

Interviewed at J.P. Morgan

Interview Details organized and easy.. no technical questions

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2014.

Interview Details Still incomplete, just had the phoe interview done, it was pretty basic.

Interview Question – Tell me about one time you were in charge of something and was successful   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in August 2013.

Interview Details Interviewed with 4-5 people. Last person was HR rep, so if you meet that person, it should be a clear sign of interest in you.

Interview Question – What does your stock portfolio look like?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Interview Details Applied through my school career center. Received an on-campus interview 2 weeks later. 2 back to back 30 minute interviews. Never got a response back from them. Spoke with them 2 months later and said I should have heard yes or no. Still nothing.

Interview Question – Pressured me for a lot of information about the company.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details Tell them how you can solve problems. Know a bit about the market

Operations Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details two to three phone interviews, then two to three interviews in person. very basic questions, nothing technical, friendly, nothing intimidating.

Interview Question – none --- the difficult part was because they did not ask challenging questions, it was difficult to gauge the manager's competence.   View Answer

Bournemouth, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2013.

Interview Details After online application and testing, I got invited for an interview in their Bournemouth office but sadly I did not make it to the final assessment centre stage. No feedback given though I thought my overall performance was good. Some questions are more advantageous to those who did summer interns in this firm. Make sure you can quote original words from CEO Jamie should you mention him and also be able to talk about specific businesses should you mention that.

Interview Question – Very standard competency questions plus scenario based questions which are a bit more difficult to answer. There's a bit of financial terms and jargons in some questions and people who did summer interns in this firm may find it easier to answer them. I left out those terms in below questions for easier understanding:

1. When you're required to draw a financial ratio from a complicated dataset but you identified certain flaws in it, what would you do about it?

2. When you need to work with IT and client service department to implement a software project, what's your approach?
  View Answer

Newark, DE (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details Had two one-on-one interviews back to back. Selections were made after those two interviews.

Interview Question – Do you prefer to work with corporations or high net worth individuals?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at J.P. Morgan

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!

J.P. Morgan Videos

J.P. Morgan – Why Work for Us?

J.P. Morgan has been doing first-class business in a first-class way for more than 200 years. We have been a leading player in helping companies grow and markets develop throughout our history. We work in collaboration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.P. Morgan Operations Analyst interview questions and advice. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by J.P. Morgan employees and interview candidates.