J.P. Morgan

Average Difficulty
48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2014.

Interview Details I had someone give me his direct number & email after seeing the posting online. The secretary shot me down. Had a brief phone interview from a nice lady, and then scheduled a meeting in Fidi the same week. He rescheduled for meeting at the midtown office last minute. This is the very end of May, so things were quick. He had me brought in. Basically, he liked my grit. It was a 15 minute conversation over coffee with little meaningful dialogue. I told him the truth when he asked why I applied to his job opening; that it was the only summer internship posted(this was end of May). He didn't know why he received 100+ apps in a week. He promised to call me back in a week and said that whoever he interviews will be included in the 2 yr Ops Development program later on. He never followed up. Never answered/replied to calls/emails.

He tried to label me an 'adrenaline junkie'.

Interview Question – He asked me "Why Operations?" about 5 times. Have a good example for why you're a team player. What do you do for stress relief?   Answer Question

Columbus, OH (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2012.

Interview Details They get most hires through the internship process. However, be prepared for multiple rounds of interviews (including in person and on the phone, you will speak with people from varying locations) and be prepared to demonstrate past work to show accomplishments. Interviewers are generally very kind, but can be a little intimidating.

Interview Question – What is my value to the world?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details *Submitted resume to career center at school
*Received email from JP Morgan (on a Sunday night) informing me that they would like to interview me over the phone on the upcoming Friday
*Interview process was two 30 minute phone interviews back to back with VPs in operations
*Asked standard behavioral questions and if I knew microsoft excel
*1.5 weeks after the interview, received phone call with offer

After accepting offer:
Needed to complete background checks, pass a drug test, and get fingerprinted

Interview Question – *Where do you get your news from
*How competent are you in excel (pivot tables, if statements, macros, working with large datasets)
*Why operations
*What classes have you taken in school; when do you graduate
*Prior work experience; how many hours a week do you work
*How you solved a dilemma when two managers required you to complete conflicting tasks
*Community service; volunteer activities; extra-curricular clubs
  Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2014.

Interview Details Application On-Line for the summer internship in the Operations Area of JP Morgan Dublin's Branch - Group assessment center with other 3 people (discussion of a case about a software company) - 3 personal Interviews (one with the area manager and two with two different HR representatives). Most of the questions were motivational, very few technical questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to deal with a wide data set in your academic or business life   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details Applied through on Campus recruiting event. Spoke with a recruiter briefly and was told i would receive a phone call. Received a phone call to have an on campus interview the next day. The on campus interview was just behavioral questions and background. The next round was call the "Super Day" and that was at the headquarters. The super day con sited of a tour and 4 30 minute 1:1 interviews and a team project.

Interview Question – What is the fastest way to center all objects on a powerpoint?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details 1 interview for analyst position that was offered to me. Interviewed with executive director, mostly general questions to see if my personality would be a fit for the department. Also, questioned about my specific plans for my career and how I see the role being in line with my goals. You really need to show confidence and a plan rather than general goals.

JPM also likes to test to see how well you do on your feet because it is a very competitive environment. Wants to see willingness to learn and fight for your spot in the organization. Also, show that you have a strong curiosity and drive to perform the best you can at all times.

Interview Question – Where do you you see yourself in five years and how does this role align with your goals?   View Answer

San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2014.

Interview Details Was recruited through campus recruiting. I applied for the position the same day that they came on campus. Received an email confirming a time for a phone interview about a week later. A couple hours after that, I scheduled a time for physical interviews at the end of the week. I had 2 30-min interviews with current employees who chose from a list of questions, most situational. About a two weeks later, after thank you emails and follow-ups (which were actually replied to), I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Who is your role model and why? What characteristics do they possess that you see in yourself?   View Answer
  • What differentiates J.P. Morgan's products and services from other competitors in the industry?   View Answer

Bournemouth, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2014.

Interview Details Second Round Assessment Centre
There were three tasks
1. One to one interview
2. Group exercise
3. Presentation to one interviewer evaluating the group exercise.

1. One to one interview
Based on the reviews I had found online I was expecting the first interview to be why JP Morgan, why operations, why investment banking. Instead it was very similar to the first round interview. All the questions were competency based with things such as give an example of when you introduced a new idea/overcame barriers to change/ prioritised lots of different tasks/worked with a difficult member in a team etc. The interviewer was lovely, it was very relaxed and informal and lasted 45 minutes. There were no unexpected or difficult questions just make sure you learn your competencies.

2. Group exercise.
Assessment centre groups can range from 4-8 candidates. To start off we were sat around a boardroom table and each given a booklet of information, rough paper and a calculator. The purpose of the exercise was explained, basically you are a strategy team evaluating three operating systems which need updating and deciding which two out of the three should take priority.

The first part of the exercise is 30 minutes of silent working time to read through the information. My advice would be to read quickly and make sure you get through to the end of the booklet. Make full use of the highlighters and feel free to rip the booklet apart to put it in a logical order, or keep relevant bits together. Also use the calculator to work out the cost of updating each system. Its basic maths, just a case of picking out the right information.

The one thing I cannot emphasise enough is that each person’s booklet is different and contains unique information that other candidates don't have in their booklet. The idea of this is that every person needs to contribute to the discussion as you all have something unique to share. Sharing all your unique information is one of the key points that you get assesed on so make sure you do this.

After the initial 30 minutes of silent reading are up, the assessors come into the room and the mock strategy meeting effectively begins. It is a very bizarre and forced situation to be in and you will find yourself and the other candidates behaving very oddly! There really isn't much you can do to prepare for this. Our group was a bit of a nightmare. The best advice is that the task the group has been set is very clear and you must achieve this by writing out your proposals on the piece of paper given. My group ran out of time as the person time keeping failed to do so! Furthermore the person scribing was overpowering and did not let everyone speak.

3. Presentation
After the group exercise I was really downheartened and thought there was no way I could possibly be succsesful after the poor performance in the group exercise. The presentation is basically an opportunity to redeem yourself and be open and honest about where you think the group went wrong and the part you played. The presentation is only to one interviewer and you can sit down so its much more like a discussion than an intimidating boardroom presentation.

You are giving 20 minutes to prepare your presentation on how the mock strategy meeting went. You are given a prompt presentation structure sheet which is really useful and I just followed the layout of that to the letter.

Be really honest with the interview and show that you are aware of your own personal development needs. So for me, I mentioned that there were times when I should have been more assertive especially when I could see we were running out of time. I also said that I regretted that I hadn't made more of a conscious effort to include quieter members of the group. You will be asked to comment on the performance of your teammates too which can be uncomfortable, however they behaved, do not bad mouth them at all but be honest about where you think they could have improved.

My overall experience was really positive. All the interviewers were friendly and approachable and the whole process was welcoming and not at all intimidating.

Negotiation Details – Graduate scheme, no negotiation.

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details Laid back and no technical questions. two thirty minute on campus interviews. I interviewed for the internship program. Nice people work there and I recommend staying calm during the interview and relaxing. They liked seeing financial models that I created using MS Excel I hope this helps you other candidates. Good Luck to you!!

Interview Question – Name Three Strengths and Weaknesses   Answer Question

Interviewed at J.P. Morgan

Interview Details organized and easy.. no technical questions

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!